Best QB

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was with you until you said Passing was relatively unimportant for a QB.... I agree that things like leadership, intelligence, the ability to remain calm under pressure etc.... are also important, but to negate the importance of being able to throw an accurate ball to any area of the field, is going a bit too far.

I think they missed the 'sarcasm alert' button.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre - because of how he could rally and inspire the team with his optimism and play. I don't think Rodgers is as good of a leader as Brett was while in uniform. Rodgers is still pretty good in that regard and has better numbers so far but "Best QB" isn't purely a statistical comparison.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was with you until you said Passing was relatively unimportant for a QB.... I agree that things like leadership, intelligence, the ability to remain calm under pressure etc.... are also important, but to negate the importance of being able to throw an accurate ball to any area of the field, is going a bit too far.

I was being comical. My post was in reply to someone saying that Brady was the better QB but Marino was the better passer.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers career isn't complete yet. Rodgers is more accurate, better scrambler, doesn't have a tendency to throw critical interceptions

You do realize that your describing AR when he WAS playing well...this is not descriptive of his play over the last two seasons...he has been very mediocre of late...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't think evaluating a player by world championships is a valid measure.

I don't know, it's as valid a measurement as any other out there. I mean, you can't really compare a current player to a player of an earlier generation anyway -- that is, unless you own a functioning crystal ball. ;) So, all-in-all, I'd say it is as good as any other.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So much delusion in this thread.

In a Favre-Rodgers comparison, of course it's Rodgers.

You can't use career statistics (totals, that is) given that Favre played more seasons than Rodgers has played to this point, but when you take averages into consideration, it's not even close. Lets see...

Completion % - Rodgers
YPA - Rodgers
TD-INT ratio - Rodgers
Passer rating - Rodgers
4,000+ yd seasons - Rodgers (done it in 75% of his total full seasons, would have done it in '13 if not for the injury)

All things considered, Rodgers has the better playoff numbers as well.

Now, to be fair, Favre did win three consecutive MVP awards, highly impressive. Rodgers has 2 so far. Favre has won more playoff games, but he and Rodgers both have a super bowl apiece. And Favre does have an extra appearance in the super bowl, so Rodgers could easily eclipse those numbers with more seasons (he's only 32)

Also, Rodgers is a super bowl MVP. Who was the MVP of the Super Bowl Favre won? It certainly wasn't him, completing just 51% of his passes. Maybe he had a lot of drops in that game that I don't recall, but I know that Rodgers' 24-39 included SEVERAL drops.

This does it for me - Favre had 66 interceptions in his first 65 games as a pro. Aaron Rodgers has 69 interceptions for his career, which includes 132 games. Give me the quarterback that takes care of the football better. I'll win more with him.

And oh by the way, Rodgers has something going for him currently that Favre can't say. Rodgers has yet to miss the playoffs as a starter in the NFL. EDIT: Captain correctly pointed out 2008, my bad.

I mean, pretty much any metric or statistic that you wish to use, Rodgers comes out on top in a comparison between the two.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

And oh by the way, Rodgers has something going for him currently that Favre can't say. Rodgers has yet to miss the playoffs as a starter in the NFL.

The Packers missed the playoffs after going 6-10 in Rodgers first season as a starter in 2008.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
HEADS UP
If this gets hijacked into another Favre vs Rodgers debate, I'm closing it. We have an entire Favre section for those. I don't want to be reading another rehash of old arguments.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HEADS UP
If this gets hijacked into another Favre vs Rodgers debate, I'm closing it. We have an entire Favre section for those. I don't want to be reading another rehash of old arguments.
While I understand your reticence, I fail to understand how you can call a discussion comparing Favre and Rodgers "hijacking". The Title of this entire thread is "best QB...

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While I understand your reticence, I fail to understand how you can call a discussion comparing Favre and Rodgers "hijacking". The Title of this entire thread is "best QB...
And Favre and Rodgers were the only two players mentioned in the OP.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I had to look up reticence.

Typically these have gone into 5-7 posters spending pages defending their POV and swaying nobody. We've got many threads that have followed that formula. I should just move this to the Favre section with all the rest and save myself some time.
And Favre and Rodgers were the only two players mentioned in the OP.
Younglings these days have no sense of history and tend to ignore everything before their earthly appearance. Rote, ****ey, Starr, Isbel are all valid careers to use also. Just don't bring up Tagge, Hunter, Whitehurst, Rubley, Couch.

OP
OP
British Packer

British Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HEADS UP
Hey. just wanted to get a bit history on the packers QBs sorry for any offense
HEADS UP
Hi don't want to offend anyone but if you don't like a post then don't read it. just a fan wanting some opinion.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
So much delusion in this thread.

In a Favre-Rodgers comparison, of course it's Rodgers.

You can't use career statistics (totals, that is) given that Favre played more seasons than Rodgers has played to this point, but when you take averages into consideration, it's not even close. Lets see...

Completion % - Rodgers
YPA - Rodgers
TD-INT ratio - Rodgers
Passer rating - Rodgers
4,000+ yd seasons - Rodgers (done it in 75% of his total full seasons, would have done it in '13 if not for the injury)

All things considered, Rodgers has the better playoff numbers as well.

Now, to be fair, Favre did win three consecutive MVP awards, highly impressive. Rodgers has 2 so far. Favre has won more playoff games, but he and Rodgers both have a super bowl apiece. And Favre does have an extra appearance in the super bowl, so Rodgers could easily eclipse those numbers with more seasons (he's only 32)

Also, Rodgers is a super bowl MVP. Who was the MVP of the Super Bowl Favre won? It certainly wasn't him, completing just 51% of his passes. Maybe he had a lot of drops in that game that I don't recall, but I know that Rodgers' 24-39 included SEVERAL drops.

This does it for me - Favre had 66 interceptions in his first 65 games as a pro. Aaron Rodgers has 69 interceptions for his career, which includes 132 games. Give me the quarterback that takes care of the football better. I'll win more with him.

And oh by the way, Rodgers has something going for him currently that Favre can't say. Rodgers has yet to miss the playoffs as a starter in the NFL. EDIT: Captain correctly pointed out 2008, my bad.

I mean, pretty much any metric or statistic that you wish to use, Rodgers comes out on top in a comparison between the two.

... and being totally oblivious to the fact that the rules have changed enormously to favor the passing game in Rodgers' time ...

Either you haven't watched football for many years (being Young) or you just dont know ... ofcourse todays QB statistics on average is better than it were 20 years ago ... but back then having a 3500+ season was not something most QBs could do, whereas today most of the starting QBs will throw that with ease ...

I get you think Rodgers is superior to Favre, however using avr as a measuring stick only, doesnt hold water ... 3 consecutive League mvp's is a testament to superiority among your peers aswell ..

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I had to look up reticence.

Younglings these days have no sense of history and tend to ignore everything before their earthly appearance. Rote, ****ey, Starr, Isbel are all valid careers to use also. Just don't bring up Tagge, Hunter, Whitehurst, Rubley, Couch.

Ok, this reply made me chuckle and I added the "bold" for emphasis.

Can I just say that Starr, Favre and Rodgers ... even Tagge - because he sold hot dogs or game programs or something or another at Lambeau as a kid -- man, I loved these guys all of 'em. Hey, Hunter led 'em to the '72 Central title

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
... and being totally oblivious to the fact that the rules have changed enormously to favor the passing game in Rodgers' time ...

Either you haven't watched football for many years (being Young) or you just dont know ... ofcourse todays QB statistics on average is better than it were 20 years ago ... but back then having a 3500+ season was not something most QBs could do, whereas today most of the starting QBs will throw that with ease ...

I get you think Rodgers is superior to Favre, however using avr as a measuring stick only, doesnt hold water ... 3 consecutive League mvp's is a testament to superiority among your peers aswell ..
How do you defend the interceptions? Too big of a disparity to ignore that.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hey. just wanted to get a bit history on the packers QBs sorry for any offense

Hi don't want to offend anyone but if you don't like a post then don't read it. just a fan wanting some opinion.

Unfortunately the moderators can`t do that. The point, as was stated, there are numerous threads here about the Favre/ Rodgers comparison. You caused no offence. Maybe read some of the older threads first.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady's wife is waaayyyy hotter than Marino's as well so why are we even discussing Marino? Just the facts that matter please.......

DS

Members online

Latest posts