Best QB

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you take longevity into account, Favre. If you're looking for the guy that hit the highest high, then Rodgers. If a coach can actually do their job and get Rodgers back on track then I think Rodgers has a chance to be considered the best ever.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr. Five world championships in a seven year span.

And that is the whole point, is it not?

# of titles is an overrated stat for measuring greatness. By that measure, Tom Brady's "greatness" was enhanced when Pete Carrol got cute and called a pass rather than let Marshawn Lynch run the ball; had nothing to do with Brady and yet he gets credit.

Now, I don't measuring Favre vs Rodgers because they played in comparable eras but trying to compare any QB in today's NFL to a QB when Starr played is an exercise in creating arguments with no point. Players across eras just can't be compared. Starr was amazing but the other side can, correctly, point out that Starr didn't face the complicated defenses of today's game. Then the Starr supporters will come back that players back then were allowed to legally eviscerate players on the field while also making inappropriate comments about their wives. Then the guys that want to support today's players will say that today's players are all a cross between Usain Bolt and the Hulk while the guys playing back then were Popeye minus the spinach...it just doesn't end!

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the New York Giants won the 1986 super bowl, do you think it was because Phil Simms was the best QB in the league that year ? Hardly ! 21 td passes....22 interceptions.....a 74.6 passer rating.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to argue with that. He didn't need to be, he just needed to make the passes he needed to make (if that sounds right), and he did, to the tune of the 5 championships. Play-calling, clutch performances, leadership - the guy definitely was a superb QB.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr was the greatest championship wise, but AR has the best skillset. Favre was the toughest and set records that will never be broken by ANY QB...

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr was the greatest championship wise, but AR has the best skillset. Favre was the toughest and set records that will never be broken by ANY QB...

Drew Brees will hold most (or all?) passing records by the time he retires.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think evaluating a player by world championships is a valid measure.
I think championships has to be part of it, but it's certainly not all, or even most of it. Many consider Brady the greatest ever, but of those who rate him that high, their only argument is his SB rings...I happen to think there were many that were better than Brady, and some of them never even won a SB...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't kept up since he left. Obviously, the iron man records should be safe, but other than attempts and interceptions, what others does Favre still hold?

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think championships has to be part of it, but it's certainly not all, or even most of it. Many consider Brady the greatest ever, but of those who rate him that high, their only argument is his SB rings...I happen to think there were many that were better than Brady, and some of them never even won a SB...

Many saw greatness in Rodgers, but didn't rate him as elite until he won playoff games and finally a championship.

Reaction score
Right now the answer is the oldest is the best and then it goes by age.
Aaron still has a chance to take 2nd place but I think his window is closing
It would take 3 SB wins to move into Starr territory (no pun intended)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are starts all that important?
Can't believe you even asked that.... yes

Ask teams like the Browns and the Bears if they would prefer to have had only 2 starting QBs over the past 25 years or if they liked starting the crazy number they have had instead.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe you even asked that.... yes

Ask teams like the Browns and the Bears if they would prefer to have had only 2 starting QBs over the past 25 years or if they liked starting the crazy number they have had instead.
Looking at all time records, it seems Testaverde is 8th, Bledsoe is 9th and Unitas is 10th in starts. Does anyone think Vinny is an all time great?

I do get what you are saying, but it really is not easy to just use simple stats to determine who is greatest. That is all I am trying to show. Favre was the most exciting QB (Majik was next most) to watch. Rodgers has been, until recently, the most amazingly accurate to see, Starr was the winningest we had, but different eras, different styles, different rules make it impossible to absolutely choose one. Lynn ****ey was great to watch. Just so much difference in how the game is today from the 60's until now. We have been blessed with some great QB play. I am just happy we have what we have right now.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts