Best QB

Sky King

Reaction score
Ok. I've never seen him play
That's too bad. He led the team to 5 championships in a 7 year span, including the first two Super Bowls and also 3 championships in a row - an accomplishment that the Packers have done twice in their history. No other team has ever won more than two NFL championships in a row. Starr called his own plays, BTW. Extremely smart and utterly unflappable.

I got to meet him twice as a kid. A true gentleman.

OP
OP
British Packer

British Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's too bad. He led the team to 5 championships in a 7 year span, including the first two Super Bowls and also 3 championships in a row - an accomplishment that the Packers have done twice in their history. No other team has ever won more than two NFL championships in a row. Starr called his own plays, BTW. Extremely smart and utterly unflappable.

Sounds like a true great sportsman. Not many around these days.

Sky King

Reaction score
Between Favre and Rodgers, only, I would pick Favre because we've already seen his entire body of work. Rodgers may be able to exceed what he accomplished but he still has several years ahead of him to be properly compared to Favre.

OP
OP
British Packer

British Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between Favre and Rodgers, only, I would pick Favre because we've already seen his entire body of work. Rodgers may be able to exceed what he accomplished but he still has several years ahead of him to be properly compared to Favre.
That's fair

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I did as well! It was after his playing career. But one time was at Banquet he was speaking at, I shyly asked if I could get his autograph and take his picture. He insisted "no, I would like you to be in the picture with me" and asked a wait person nicely if they would take the picture. The second time, I was at Disney World and he and his wife Cherry sat down pool side next to my family. We couldn't resist saying "hi". We expected a warm greeting, but in addition to that, he ended up talking to us for the rest of the afternoon while we all soaked up the sun.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Starr once. I was at a Packer event at the stadium and was back by the elevators. Hardly anybody around and i found myself standing right next to Bart Starr. It was about 7-8 years ago now. I just said "Hi" and he asked if we were having fun. Another group came up and started talking to him. I just sat there like a little kid and watched him talk to everyone. No idea what they were talking about, didn't care. I was close enough I could reach out and touch Bart Starr if I wanted to :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No doubt in my mind from my own experiences and ones I have read from other people, Bart was a fans type player. He didn't elevate himself above the fans who adored him. Now I am sure being humble was also a byproduct of the time he played in, but it would sure be nice to have some "ordinary Joe's" in professional sports today.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
To date ... I'd say Starr... However, the game has changed so much from Starr's era to Favre's and from Favre's hey day to Rogers' that coming up with a comparison is like trying to compare a lightning bug to lightning.

In my world, the measuring stick...the benchmark...is 5 championships in 7 years and 3 in a row. Having Lombardi is only part of the equation... Football back then was a different animal. The previous incarnation of NFL football was blood and guts and mental toughness. While I don't think the NFL players of yesteryear could match up athletically to today's muscle-bound prima donnas, I also don't believe today's NFL player would survive the beating the old guys were allowed to inflict on each other. Today's game is a pussified mix of Madden/Arena/Fantasy football compared to bloodbath of the 60's and 70's and 80's. To a lesser degree...the 90's.

Picture Brett's beating from the Saints in the NFC Championship game a few years back...that was week-in and week-out back then...but the QB still lined up.

Starr was just plain mentally tough in a man's game. Favre COULD have played then...except Lombardi probably would have sent him to Canada... Rodgers... Well...he's good for today's game...and I love his mental approach to the game... It all comes back to 5 in 7 years.

So... Starr.

MajikMan7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you can really compare Rodgers to Favre until Rodgers career is over, but to this point he has made it an interesting discussion at the very least.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Define what you mean by the best and then we can argue. I don't like using championships as football is such a team game, so I tend not to say Starr. Was he good? Sure. However, he probably wasn't even the most important player on Lombardi's teams. Hourning probably was, at least until he was used up and Lombardi let him go.

I think Starr is over-valued because the modern game values quarterbacks and we can get and understand his role and project it to the modern game. Triple threat HBs like Hourning? Most people don't even know what a triple thread HB is. And let's consider a 1960s FB (Taylor) who was a primary ball carrier and the modern FB who is a battering ram and might get 10 carries in a season (Henderson/Kuhn/et al.)

In terms of mechanics, throwing the ball well, hitting the whole route tree, and general athleticism, I'd put Starr about 5th--I have zero confidence in his ability to throw a deep out, for example. His greatest strength, calling his own game, would be minimally used (at best) in the modern game.

I'd rate our QBs roughly: Rodgers, Favre, ****ey/Majkowski (tied), Starr.

In a similar vein, I don't think Starr was ever (statistically, anyway) the best QB in the league when he played. His best rating was in 1961 when he was 5th. 6th in 1957. The rest of his career? 10th or worse. Pulled from here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1972/passing.htm

Members online

Latest posts