Best offseason in the NFC north

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Peterson has never asked for a trade. It's all just speculation on the part of the press. You cannot find a single quote from him asking for a trade. It has not happened. Now his agent has stated he wanted out, but not Peterson. Peterson is not upset with the players. He is not happy with the fact that his money is not guaranteed. I don't see him not playing 100% and ******** over his fellow players. But of course he is over 30 so there is that. Well, Walter Payton put up 1,684 yards when he was 30, but Peterson isn't Payton. Emmit Smith put up 1,397 when he was 30. But Peterson isn't Smith. Curtis Martin put up 1308 when he was 30, and 1697 when he was 31. But Peterson isn't Martin. Granted, a lot of backs slack off at 30, but not all. And when was the last time people thought Peterson wasn't going to do well? Oh yeah, the year after his knee blew out. He wasn't going to do squat that year either.

As for Bridgewater. Granted, he didn't beat any "Quality" opponent last year. Sometimes in not about who you beat the year before, but what you learned by not winning that counts. The thing is, he got better as the year went on. He did very well under pressure, did a good job in the red zone and lowered his turnovers as the year went on. More importantly, he learned to play without Peterson in the backfield. In his first 6.5 games he had 4 TD's and 6 Ints. In the second 6 games he had 10 TD's and 5 Ints. 3 of those int were balls that either went off the receivers hands, took a bad bounce and one was an int at the end of the half on a hail mary. Only 2 were the result of a bad pass. I expect him to do much better this year. But then, our WR's suck as well. Hell there goes another losing season.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And I expect that last game of the season to be for the Division. Packer and Vikings will be going into that game tied at 11-4. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Peterson has never asked for a trade. It's all just speculation on the part of the press. You cannot find a single quote from him asking for a trade. It has not happened. Now his agent has stated he wanted out, but not Peterson.
The question is not whether the agent speaks for the player. That's presumed unless the agent or player publicly retracts previous public statements.

The question is whether the agent's claim that that the player wants a trade, a claim the player is presumed to endorse, is an ultimatum or a negotiating ploy. Given these recent reports, it appears to be the latter. Which, when you think about it, is a sorry state of affairs...using a fake pique at the organization for throwing him under the bus in order to extract guaranteed money.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The question is not whether the agent speaks for the player. That's presumed unless the agent or player publicly retracts previous public statements.

The question is whether the agent's claim that that the player wants a trade, a claim the player is presumed to endorse, is an ultimatum or a negotiating ploy. Given these recent reports, it appears to be the latter. Which, when you think about it, is a sorry state of affairs...using a fake pique at the organization for throwing him under the bus in order to extract guaranteed money.
Vikings didn't throw him under the bus. He created the situation on his own. Now he want's to benefit from it in the way of more guaranteed money. And I see his point. There is nothing stopping the Vikings from cutting him next year and saving a ton of money. He has a point about the NFL contracts being better for the teams than the players. The team can cut a player at anytime and they have not lost anything except what was guaranteed in the contract. I could easily see somewhat of a change in the future. After all, it's only the top players that get good guaranteed money. Somewhere down the line I could see the CBA changing to having every contract having a certain percentage of guaranteed money. It would bring down the big payments to the star players and feed more money to the grunts in the trenches. Think about it, if there was a sliding scale of guaranteed money in each contract the players would be more happy, and the teams wouldn't be paying out $40 million guaranteed to one player no matter what happens.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The agent speaks for the player. If the agent was giving a false impression of what Peterson wanted he would be fired immediately.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings didn't throw him under the bus. He created the situation on his own. Now he want's to benefit from it in the way of more guaranteed money. And I see his point. There is nothing stopping the Vikings from cutting him next year and saving a ton of money. He has a point about the NFL contracts being better for the teams than the players. The team can cut a player at anytime and they have not lost anything except what was guaranteed in the contract. I could easily see somewhat of a change in the future. After all, it's only the top players that get good guaranteed money. Somewhere down the line I could see the CBA changing to having every contract having a certain percentage of guaranteed money. It would bring down the big payments to the star players and feed more money to the grunts in the trenches. Think about it, if there was a sliding scale of guaranteed money in each contract the players would be more happy, and the teams wouldn't be paying out $40 million guaranteed to one player no matter what happens.
Then he should have taken less overall $ in exchange for more guaranteed money. He signed the contract.

Oh wait is this more "modern day slavery"?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The agent speaks for the player. If the agent was giving a false impression of what Peterson wanted he would be fired immediately.
Not always. And Dogra never really asked for a trade. What he said was that it wasn't in Peterson best interest to continue to play for the Vikings. I know, semantics.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Vikings didn't throw him under the bus. He created the situation on his own. Now he want's to benefit from it in the way of more guaranteed money. And I see his point.
IMO this is a remarkable non-sequitur. You post AP created the situation which resulted in his suspension and the Vikings didn’t throw him under the bus. Now he wants to benefit from the bad situation he created for himself and the Vikings and you see his point. Some players may have legitimate *****es about the deal their union negotiated with the NFL but AP is not one of them. Upon being drafted by the Vikings he signed a contract which included $17M guaranteed. Because his new deal was done before the completion of his first one, I don’t know how much of that contract he had already received when he signed his current, $96M, seven year deal in 2011. That deal included $36M in guaranteed money (figures according to rotoworld). He may not receive all of that guaranteed money because of his conduct but as you say, he’s responsible for that. If he is on the Vikings roster for week one of the season, he’s guaranteed another $12.75M. But he’s concerned there’s no more guaranteed money in his contract in 2016 and the Vikings could release him. If that happens he’ll likely receive an offer very close to his fair NFL market value. If he doesn’t like that, he can ride into the sunset knowing that thanks to the NFL (and NFLPA if you like) he and his children and their children, etc. should be set financially. Some players may have legitimate *****es about the deal their union negotiated with the NFL but AP is not one of them.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
IMO this is a remarkable non-sequitur. You post AP created the situation which resulted in his suspension and the Vikings didn’t throw him under the bus. Now he wants to benefit from the bad situation he created for himself and the Vikings and you see his point. Some players may have legitimate *****es about the deal their union negotiated with the NFL but AP is not one of them. Upon being drafted by the Vikings he signed a contract which included $17M guaranteed. Because his new deal was done before the completion of his first one, I don’t know how much of that contract he had already received when he signed his current, $96M, seven year deal in 2011. That deal included $36M in guaranteed money (figures according to rotoworld). He may not receive all of that guaranteed money because of his conduct but as you say, he’s responsible for that. If he is on the Vikings roster for week one of the season, he’s guaranteed another $12.75M. But he’s concerned there’s no more guaranteed money in his contract in 2016 and the Vikings could release him. If that happens he’ll likely receive an offer very close to his fair NFL market value. If he doesn’t like that, he can ride into the sunset knowing that thanks to the NFL (and NFLPA if you like) he and his children and their children, etc. should be set financially. Some players may have legitimate *****es about the deal their union negotiated with the NFL but AP is not one of them.
I should have worded that differently. The I see his point is not about what he did and wanting a more guaranteed money. I meant it as "I see his point about how contracts can be seen to be one sided."

H

HardRightEdge

Vikings didn't throw him under the bus. He created the situation on his own.
I beg to differ. That he created the situation himself and the Vikings threw him under the bus from APs perspective are not mutually exclusive events.

The Vikes could have kept him running, and kept paying him (which would seem to be AP's primary interest), until the NFL weighed in. But when the Raddison threatened to pull it's partnership, that surely sent a chill through the front office in fear that other sponsors would follow suit. We saw that with Tiger Woods...other than Nike, there was a rush to the exits.

I repeat...time and money can heal all wounds. Time has passed; now AP wants some money.

H

HardRightEdge

Then he should have taken less overall $ in exchange for more guaranteed money. He signed the contract.

Oh wait is this more "modern day slavery"?
Did AP call playing football "modern day slavery?" I don't recall that, but it is interesting.

This past offseason, Brandon Spikes called his time in New England "4 years a slave" while he was waiting around in free agency for somebody to sign him. And where did he end up going after one year in Buffalo? New England of course.

Should I say it again? Time and money heals all wounds.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I beg to differ. That he created the situation himself and the Vikings threw him under the bus from APs perspective are not mutually exclusive events.

The Vikes could have kept him running, and kept paying him (which would seem to be AP's primary interest), until the NFL weighed in. But when the Raddison threatened to pull it's partnership, that surely sent a chill through the front office in fear that other sponsors would follow suit. We saw that with Tiger Woods...other than Nike, there was a rush to the exits.

I repeat...time and money can heal all wounds. Time has passed; now AP wants some money.
They did keep paying him. He got paid right up until the time they made a decision on his suspension. He was paid for 10 games last year.

H

HardRightEdge

They did keep paying him. He got paid right up until the time they made a decision on his suspension. He was paid for 10 games last year.
So? He might have been paid for 6 more.

And then there would have been a cooling off period, AP would have entered counseling, made his act of contrition and humble himself before media and sponsors (did ever actually make one?), yada yada, and the league could have come in with a lighter sentence. There was no video of him taking a switch to the young'uns, was there?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
So? He might have been paid for 6 more.

And then there would have been a cooling off period, AP would have entered counseling, made his act of contrition and humble himself before media and sponsors (did ever actually make one?), yada yada, and the league could have come in with a lighter sentence. There was no video of him taking a switch to the young'uns, was there?
Peterson actually started counseling before his indictment. And yes he has, but no one seems to remember it or want to accept it as him being truthful in the matter. After all, Goodall point blank told him that he "Didn't believe him." People are so wrapped up with what the photos show that anything he said was not taken as being honest.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did AP call playing football "modern day slavery?" I don't recall that, but it is interesting.

This past offseason, Brandon Spikes called his time in New England "4 years a slave" while he was waiting around in free agency for somebody to sign him. And where did he end up going after one year in Buffalo? New England of course.

Should I say it again? Time and money heals all wounds.
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...in-nfl-like-modern-day-slavery/1#.VWpmLedkDS8

D

Deleted member 6794

I meant it as "I see his point about how contracts can be seen to be one sided."

The contracts in the NFL aren't one sided but most players and fans have a completely wrong idea about the way the system works.

It's possible for every single player to negotiate a fully guaranteed contract. The reason most players refuse to do that is because they would lose a chance to earn way more money.

NFL players should start looking at the guaranteed money as the real value of a contract over it's entire length with the rest of the money involved being incentives which are either likely or improbable to be earned depending on a players' performance.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, that's the kind or rhetoric one would expect from some quarters at that moment in time...the CBA negotiations were heating up.

AP seems to pull the race card when he simply wants more money. I don't think it helps his case.

"People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way."

That's certainly true for some, and partially true for others, but comparing himself to a New York nail salon worker or even a minimum wage worker is ludicrous. It's just lipstick on his pig-like argument.

H

HardRightEdge

It's possible for every single player to negotiate a fully guaranteed contract. The reason most players refuse to do that is because they would lose a chance to earn way more money.
That's a true statement. There is a point to which a player could drop his total contract value demand where the team would guarantee it in full.

In another context we discussed the case of Dante Fowler who blew out his ACL on the first day of rookie OTAs without having signed a contract. Under the CBA, he's guaranteed to receive a contract in-line with what is slotted for the overall #3 pick under the rookie salary scale. Jacksonville did him one better...they guaranteed the entire contract even though he'll not be playing in 2015. 4 years, $22.7 mil, $15.3 mil signing bonus.

I don't know the payment schedule on the signing bonus, which is typically spread out to some degree, but he's looking at over $15 mil cash in his pocket in the first year while he's "on disability". And perhaps nearly $23 mil if he never plays a down. Certainly $23 mil if he plays even if his abilities are diminished.

I think this is the only business in the world where something like this could happen where this amount is money is involved.

Imagine if a top trader or analyst showed up at Wall Street firm or hedge fund to sign a lucrative contract, or an A-list actor showed up to sign a big picture deal, and he suffered a stroke right at the table before putting his signature on the dotted line. Would said firm or studio guarantee that contract anyway? Not on your life.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
That's a true statement. There is a point to which a player could drop his total contract value demand where the team would guarantee it in full.

In another context we discussed the case of Dante Fowler who blew out his ACL on the first day of rookie OTAs without having signed a contract. Under the CBA, he's guaranteed to receive a contract in-line with what is slotted for the overall #3 pick under the rookie salary scale. Jacksonville did him one better...they guaranteed the entire contract even though he'll not be playing in 2015. 4 years, $22.7 mil, $15.3 mil signing bonus.

I don't know the payment schedule on the signing bonus, which is typically spread out to some degree, but he's looking at over $15 mil cash in his pocket in the first year while he's "on disability". And perhaps nearly $23 mil if he never plays a down. Certainly $23 mil if he plays even if his abilities are diminished.

I think this is the only business in the world where something like this could happen where this amount is money is involved.

Imagine if a top trader or analyst showed up at Wall Street firm or hedge fund to sign a lucrative contract, or an A-list actor showed up to sign a big picture deal, and he suffered a stroke right at the table before putting his signature on the dotted line. Would said firm or studio guarantee that contract anyway? Not on your life.
Fowler's highest salary cap hit is in year 4 at just under $7.5 million. The Jags after signing him are still $36 million under the cap. Lets see if they guarantee his next contract.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Fowler's highest salary cap hit is in year 4 at just under $7.5 million. The Jags after signing him are still $36 million under the cap. Lets see if they guarantee his next contract.
Is this also worded poorly or is it a joke? "Let's see if they guarantee his next contract"? Did you miss the part about his not having signed a contract and not playing a snap his first season and he's still guaranteed $22.7M? And as HRE posted, even if he's forever physically diminished - and even if he's not but never lives up to his draft position - he collects $22.7M. Guaranteed. What a great example of how one-sided NFL contracts can be. :rolleyes:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Is this also worded poorly or is it a joke? "Let's see if they guarantee his next contract"? Did you miss the part about his not having signed a contract and not playing a snap his first season and he's still guaranteed $22.7M? And as HRE posted, even if he's forever physically diminished - and even if he's not but never lives up to his draft position - he collects $22.7M. Guaranteed. What a great example of how one-sided NFL contracts can be. :rolleyes:
Well, let's see. If the Jags don't offer him a contract, I believe he becomes a UFA. So they have to offer him something. They only have so many days to sign him. Being the 3rd pick, they are pretty much stuck on what they can pay him. Making the contract guaranteed does not hurt the Jags in the salary cap in anyway. Making a possible star player happy is good business. He is at the moment the 12th highest paid player on the Jags. Making the first contract of the top draft picks guaranteed is not that far fetched. Blake Bortles is. Anthoney Barrs is. Odell Beckhams is. It's a common practice at this time to do it for top draft picks. This is nothing special.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350347/article/2014-nfl-draft-firstround-signing-tracker

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peter King imo was very off base with this comment about AP

I think I understand Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer saying about Adrian Peterson: “He can either play for us or he cannot play. He’s not going to play for anyone else.” And I understand everyone thinking that Peterson, after being paid to not play for most of last year, should show up and take the $12.75 million he’s due in 2015. But there are a couple of obvious things here. One, Peterson really doesn’t want to play for Minnesota. He certainly now has come to the realization that he probably will have to. No team wants to pay a high draft choice for a 30-year-old running back with $44.25 million left on his contract over the next three years—a contract, by the way, that he’s unhappy with. Two, Peterson wants more guaranteed money in the back end of the contract. So if you’re the Wilfs, why not end this rancor now and get Peterson back in the good graces of the family (at least by appearances) by guaranteeing a vast portion or all of his 2016 salary? Then, if Peterson declines to take it, you know you’ve done a more than fair thing to meet Peterson halfway, and it’s on him.

Why would you offer him anything? If he wants to sit out and pass up 13 mil thats on him.

Members online

Latest posts