1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Best offseason in the NFC north

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, May 17, 2015.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
  2. Jerellh528

Jerellh528 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +78
    Agree with Minnesota, at least what they've done on paper thus far.

3. bigbubbatd

bigbubbatd Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +321
    The Vikings win the off season every year. Now maybe this is legit but I think in two years we will be surprised who the best cb is out of waynes, Randall, and rollins and how close Kendricks and Ryan are. Zimmer has already talked about Kendricks being better suited at OLB.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269
    The Packers seldom win the off-season. They do pretty well in the actual season, however.

The Vikings......not so much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    This isn't the same set of nitwits running the vikings. People shouldn't sleep on them, they are getting better.

6. Sunshinepacker

Sunshinepacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +731
    I think people are confusing how good a team is and how much a team has improved. The Packers got worse in the offseason; offense is basically the same (read, REALLY good) and the defense lost a starting corner and nickel/dime corner. Even with those losses, the Packers are still the best team in the NFC North, perhaps the NFC or NFL. However, the issue is which team had the best offseason.

Now, the Packers were a close second in the offseason since they managed to keep Cobb and Bulaga. However, the Vikings added Mike Wallace (who, just a few years ago, was one of the best WRs in the NFL and he's still young), some defensive help and, oh yeah, the best RB in the NFL. The Vikings this year verse last should be a markedly better team while the Packers will most likely be a slightly worse team (to start the year, afterwards will depend on health and player development).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Too bad for the Vikings that Peterson doesn´t want to play for them anymore though.

8. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +731
    Two things; one, if he's about to miss game checks, Peterson will play. Two, if the Vikings trade Peterson, they'll get a TON for him and that would probably actually make for a better offseason. Either way, Vikings win.

9. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Not sure if anyone will give up a ton for an aging RB with a big salary.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    I don't think the vikings get much in a trade for Peterson. He's getting older, he's very, very expensive. he's a year removed from the field, yes he's in great shape, yes he runs hard, but yes he has a lot of miles on him already, is older and very expensive. My guess is he plays for the vikings.

11. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Maybe they get a 2nd for him, but more likely they het a 3rd. He is worth much more to the Vikings. Nobody offered the 1st - the asking price.

Its funny how the Packers have not won the offseason in 9 years since TT has been here, yet we dominate talent wise. Thats because other teams draft for best immediate improvement while TT drafts for who will be the best over the course of their career. I dont expect much immediately from this crop, except on special teams. But down the road we could have a few impact players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Even if Peterson ends up playing for the Vikings I don´t expect him to be a dominant again. Mostly unhappy players aren´t that productive.

13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    The same reason you mentioned for dominating the division could be brought up as the reason for why we haven´t been to more than one Super Bowl during Thompson´s tenure though.

14. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    How does maximizing your team's talent levels limit the number of Superbowls you go to?

Getting to the Superbowl is ultra competitive. There are owners, coaches, and players all striving to get there, willing to make any sacrafice. There is a finite amount of money and talent available and 31 other teams in dipping into that talent pool. These 'big moves' or draft for need scenarios some fans clamor for rarely work out and in the long run diminish the talent of your team.

The reason the Packers have only won one is because it is extremely difficult. TT has them in a position to compete for it the last few years and if we keep up the MO, the next few years as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Beyond personnel acquisitions this offseason, the biggest concern for me in the division is the head coaching upgrade each rival in the division has recently experienced: Zimmer and Caldwell before last season, and John Fox this offseason. I was a big fan of each of their predecessors! Each team has obstacles but if AP returns to the Vikings they could make the biggest jump. BTW, it’s OK to hope that AP will be diminished by age or attitude but I wouldn’t count on it. I expect his presence to help Bridgewater’s progress. It’ll be interesting to see how much the Lions’ D misses Suh and Fairley. The Bears are still saddled with Cutler at QB and I expect it’ll take their D a couple seasons to recover from the cluster shtup of Trestman and Tucker. But each of the Packers’ rivals have ‘righted their ships’ to one degree or another.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +731
    For the Vikings to improve, he only has to be better than what they had last year. Do you really think he's going to decline that much?

17. Sunshinepacker

Ratings:
    +731
    Who cares? The point is that they will get SOMETHING for him. Be it a second or third or whatever, it's something they'll gain that they didn't have last season.

18. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +453
    Remains to be proven on the field. I remain unconvinced that any of our 3 rivals know what they're doing on draft day. I'm especially skeptical of Vikings mgmt.

19. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    I disagree with this. The Bears last regime wasn't much better than the previous one and the jury is still out on this one but other than that I think the Lions and Vikings have both significantly improved how they aproach the offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    I'm absolutely fine with drafting players that present the best value over position of need. By following that approach a team should selectively address some weaknesses on a team either in free agency or via trades. Thompson mostly refuses to do that which IMO hurts the Packers chances of winning a Super Bowl.

BTW it's not TT who has the Packers in a position to compete for a Super Bowl for the last few years, it's Aaron Rodgers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    TT drafted Aaron Rodgers. At the time we had a QB who had started 200+ games and was expected to plaay another 2 years. That is the exact method TT uses. Draft the best player whether you need him to play right away or not. Yet many posters for years wish the Pack had picked a mediocre WR in support of their win now mentality.

TT does use FA. He is just careful. For most FAs the team regrets the this HTML class. Value is Sorry the bakery is within a season or two. Suppose we ate up salary cap a few years ago surrounding BF with WRs? He was still BF and would have killed our season with a stupid pick. And we wouldnt have had the cap space to sign some of our greats we have now.

Packers were a bounce of the ball away from another SB last season. You can't control all the weird luck and injuries and circumstances that occur randomly in a season or a game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    Preach Brotha!

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Obviously.
    What did you think of their 2014 draft?

24. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269

Makes me wonder, who won the off-season last year? The Bears? They got Lamar Houston.....that really worked out....:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,909
    Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is being a young team, the Packers always have in house players improve year to year.

They've only got one guy in Peppers who is old enough to start declining in play. Everyone else should either improve or remain the same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1