Best Off-Season Move

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
One cannot overlook the hiring of McCarthy. The guy, for a first time HC, has shown himself well; had his team exceed EVERYONE'S expectations; and has garnered the respect of the entire locker room.

I like his style.

You know digs, his record isn't as good as Mike Sherman's was...

(in his first year! )
:wink:

Can't compare the two. MS had a 24 year old Ahman Green and 30 year old Brett Favre inheriting a team that went 8-8 with a LOUSY HC in Ray Rhodes.

MM inherited a 29 year old Green coming off of a major knee injury and a 36 year old Brett Favre wavering on retirement. Not to mention the team was 4-12 the season before and it's the youngest team in the league.

and btw my favorite move is drafting AJ Hawk. Leader for the defense for the next decade.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think TT said to himself "I'll just get a bunch of scrubs together so that we'll have a bad record a get a top 5 draft pick." :roll: Give me a break!

We had soooooo many injuries in '05 that absolutely killed us...

It might not have been as conscious as that, but I think he made the decision to try to clear some cap space and get things under control by purging some of our best, though highest paid players, knowing full well that we'd struggle. Essentially, TT made the decision to rebuild, which was the right one.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
Yeah I think TT said to himself "I'll just get a bunch of scrubs together so that we'll have a bad record a get a top 5 draft pick." :roll: Give me a break!

We had soooooo many injuries in '05 that absolutely killed us...

It might not have been as conscious as that, but I think he made the decision to try to clear some cap space and get things under control by purging some of our best, though highest paid players, knowing full well that we'd struggle. Essentially, TT made the decision to rebuild, which was the right one.

TO, I do agree with that. Your original post seemed to insinuate that it was incompetence on TT's part that was the cause of a better 06. I misunderstood. It's a great idea, and I think I'm leaning towards it as my answer, too. Without the decision to bite the bullet in 05, far less of the player decisions could have been made with as much freedom as we have now.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, TOP. The only one I truly miss is Wahle, and even he has not performed up to usual standards (when healthy) in Carolina. One can certainly argue that Wahle performed at the level he did in GB because of the chemistry that existed in a line that had been together for years, and the talent that was on each side of him. In either case, I would have been upset if the Packers paid him the kind of dough he makes today.

Beyond that, how are things north of the border, my friend?

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson because it helped dump Ahmad Carroll. But signing Kampman to a long term deal was a close close 2nd.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that many use the term "rebuilding" as a means of describing TT's plan but to me his plan was to fix the Packers cap position no matter what or no matter who had to go.

Had the Packers been flush with cash and only a few players from a playoff caliber team he would have had more options on the direction to take.

He read the the status of this team correctly. It was getting old, thin, and broke and he went about fixing the broke part right away by NOT signing guys that probably wouldn't have helped us get further anyhow.

Now we are young, deeper, and loaded with cash which is quite a transformation in such a short period of time.

I, for one, feel about as stoked as I did going into '02 as far as what this team can accomplish.

So for me the best offseason move started in '05 by not resigning the aging 0 lineman we had and then drafting the 0 lineman he did this spring. Instead of concerns about the entire offensive line getting old we have a group with a ton of upside.

A huge swing right there.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, TOP. The only one I truly miss is Wahle, and even he has not performed up to usual standards (when healthy) in Carolina. One can certainly argue that Wahle performed at the level he did in GB because of the chemistry that existed in a line that had been together for years, and the talent that was on each side of him. In either case, I would have been upset if the Packers paid him the kind of dough he makes today.

I miss Wahle too, but I think that, over time, College and Spitz will be as good as Marco and Mike Wahle in their primes.

Things up here are fine. Cold as heck, but it's January after all.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
digsthepack said:

I miss Wahle too, but I think that, over time, College and Spitz will be as good as Marco and Mike Wahle in their primes.

Would Wahle be a good fit in the zone blocking scheme?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Have no idea Zero. All I know is that up close he is the biggest and most athletic guy I've seen (6'8" 320 lbs and not fat) so I think he could figure it out.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
digsthepack said:

Would Wahle be a good fit in the zone blocking scheme?

I say no.

In retrospect, I think that it was a great move letting most of the old o-linemen go. IMO, our young, suddenly well-experienced O-line has the potential to be one of our strengths for the next few years.

Anyone notice how none of the draft discussion this year has people talking about our need for more linemen, guys to replace the aging Cliffy/Tausch, etc.?

Members online

Latest posts