Best Off-Season Move

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What do you think was the best move the Packers made? ie, a draft pick, free agent signing, resigning a player, etc.

Could even be the hiring of the HC or changing to zone blocking scheme.

Brett continuing to play?

What SINGLE thing made the most difference? Of course, there is no right answer to this an its nearly impossible to give an accurate answer, but I need a good debate to read :)

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. resigning kampman
2. the draft
3. woodson
4. pickett
100000000000. signing manuel

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know for a change it's good to see that we have a lot of choices.

My Top 5 would be..

1. Resigning Aaron Kampman
2. Signing Charles Woodson
3. Drafting A.J. Hawk
4. Signing Ryan Pickett
5. Drafting Daryn Colledge

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best offseason move was two years ago, TT putting together a team that finished 4-12, enabling us to draft at the top of each round for the first time in 15 years.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I guess asking for 'SINGLE' thing was asking too much, regardlesss, awesome replies so far. No one wants to dispute anyone on this or debate?

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best offseason move was two years ago, TT putting together a team that finished 4-12, enabling us to draft at the top of each round for the first time in 15 years.

Are you being sarcastic?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yep, it was the play of the 05 rookies that gave the Pack the 4-12 record. And maybe it was all of those underperforming salary cap deadweight players that he was hired into having. :roll:

If I had to choose ONE thing, I'd go with this:

Salary Cap Freedom.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

Yep, it was the play of the 05 rookies that gave the Pack the 4-12 record. And maybe it was all of those underperforming salary cap deadweight players that he was hired into having. :roll:

If I had to choose ONE thing, I'd go with this:

Salary Cap Freedom.

If you're going to make a snarky comment at least learn how to read. I said nothing about the 05 rookies leading to the 4-12 record. TT was the mastermind of the 4-12 season though, not that it was a bad thing as in 06 we were able to draft high and get an impact player in AJ Hawk and a bunch of other good ones (Jennings, College, Spiz).

Thanks for coming out though fella.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I guess asking for 'SINGLE' thing was asking too much, regardlesss, awesome replies so far. No one wants to dispute anyone on this or debate?

I hope you're not suggesting that TT deserves a "medal" for his first 2 years as the GM of the GB Packers Zero..??

I and others can point to just as many, if not more, mistakes that he has made as GM...

As I said before...he's about 50/50 (imo) as GM of the Packers which equals about a "C" average, which is what I gave him for a grade in another post.

I think some people here have the "green and gold" glasses on...

This year will be the defining year for TT, so we're jumping the gun a little bit here...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One cannot overlook the hiring of McCarthy. The guy, for a first time HC, has shown himself well; had his team exceed EVERYONE'S expectations; and has garnered the respect of the entire locker room.

I like his style.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:

Are you being sarcastic?

Not at all. Without getting some high draft picks, we would have had next to no chance to get any impact players. While tough to sit through, it was a good move by TT.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One cannot overlook the hiring of McCarthy. The guy, for a first time HC, has shown himself well; had his team exceed EVERYONE'S expectations; and has garnered the respect of the entire locker room.

I like his style.

You know digs, his record isn't as good as Mike Sherman's was...

(in his first year! )
:wink:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, but MM also does not have a young Brett Favre and a team that was still quite talented, albeit aging and with injuries taking their toll, but still of high quality for a couple more years.

You know, 66....I just knew you could not resist!! LOL

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I hope you're not suggesting that TT deserves a "medal" for his first 2 years as the GM of the GB Packers Zero..??

I and others can point to just as many, if not more, mistakes that he has made as GM...

As I said before...he's about 50/50 (imo) as GM of the Packers which equals about a "C" average, which is what I gave him for a grade in another post.

This year will be the defining year for TT, so we're jumping the gun a little bit here...

A medal? No. But I do think he's doing a good job.

Which GM over the same span (2005 - 2006) has done better? Shouldn't be too hard since you give Ted only a C.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Resigning Aaron Kampman. But I'm hoping that in a few years we will look back and say that the hiring of Mike McCarthy was the most important move of the '06 off-season. It's too early to tell if he'll be a good coach in the long run, but his first year was promising.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
TOPackerFan said:

Are you being sarcastic?

Not at all. Without getting some high draft picks, we would have had next to no chance to get any impact players. While tough to sit through, it was a good move by TT.

Yeah I think TT said to himself "I'll just get a bunch of scrubs together so that we'll have a bad record a get a top 5 draft pick." :roll: Give me a break!

We had soooooo many injuries in '05 that absolutely killed us...

Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Zero2Cool said:

A medal? No. But I do think he's doing a good job.

Which GM over the same span (2005 - 2006) has done better? Shouldn't be too hard since you give Ted only a C.

I think you'll forgive me zero for trying to get this discussion back on topic, because like you I also want an entertaining read and debate:

The question wasn't "What grade would you give TT" 66, rather what was the best move TT made. I don't mean to sound offensive, but everyone on this board knows your stance on TT, so if you'd stop posting your opinion of TTs grade and whether or not he is an adequate choice, I think it further this discussion much more.

As the original question stated (and you said you like half the things TT has done so far), what was the best move last offseason?

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, it has to be the signing of Woodson. Without him, we're stuck with Carroll as our #2 CB once again...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. woodson is the number one. and i breathe a sigh of relief that thompson decided to draft AJ Hawk instead of vernon davis. I pray that a year from now we will be talking about getting rid of marquand manuel and lauding his replacement as the #1 move of the 2007 season.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like his style.

Yup,

Put me down for McCarthy also. This guy is slowly changing the attitude in Green Bay. Players like playing for him and the front office has experienced the positive attitude that Mike McCarthy brings.

I like the progress the Packers made, especally the last month of the season and look forward to continued improvement next season.

Good job Mike.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the words of Denny Green I'm not ready to crown Mike McCarthy yet BUT he has done a lot more good for this team than bad. In fact he's kind of winning me over. I did not like the hire of McCarthy at all. In fact I thought it was awful but after reading up on him and just kind of listening and watching he started to grow on me. Overall I think the McCarthy is the best of the 3 new coaches in the NFC North this year and if we can win in our division we can contend for the playoffs every year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts