Best guards in league?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I almost want to request an unbanning of bus for this thread. But I don't want everyone else to suffer

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
On the radio pre-game before the Steelers game Tauscher, who knows something about NFL OL play said the three Packers interior OL were among the toughest in the league. That doesn't mean the best of course but it does provide a bit of evidence that they've addressed the toughness issue. At least it's a start. IMO Bakhtiari provides a nasty disposition and an off season will allow him to add strength so he can be nastier. That leaves RT.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Purhaps Bus' ghost is roaming the forums as we speak... spooky!

There`s been more than a few worse than Bus on here. He doesn`t get aggressive or offensive like some we`ve had. Just my own opinion of course, and thats not challenging mods either, just my own view.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I agree Bill. Bus is actually kind of humorous -- and, I hope he is trying to be humorous. Anyway... so Bus was banned?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Do the packers have the best pair of guards in the league?

Nah... I don't think so...even though Sitton could be my favorite Packer player. Although it's improved somewhat, between the guards and EDS, it seems as though they get collapsed as a unit... could be EDS giving up too much and the guards have to cover...I don't know...I watch line play pretty closely and I can't say that I've been impressed to crap nickels about them this year. We'll see once defenses have to account for a high quality QB1 again... otherwise, I think the piece from Cheesehead TV is perhaps....perhaps....a bit fluffy. Just my opinion

D

Deleted member 6794

In a cumulative grading of every guard in the NFL during the 2013 season by ProFootballFocus.com (premium content), the Packers are the only team in the league to have two rank in the top 14 players at the position.

Well, the problem with the OL though is that our tackles are only ranked 56th (Barclay) and 64th (Bakhtiari) in the league by PFF.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the problem with the OL though is that our tackles are only ranked 56th (Barclay) and 64th (Bakhtiari) in the league by PFF.
The tackles are definitely the problem, and it seems no matter how hard Ted works to address the tackle problem it just isn't working out for us mostly due to that injury bug.

D

Deleted member 6794

The tackles are definitely the problem, and it seems no matter how hard Ted works to address the tackle problem it just isn't working out for us mostly due to that injury bug.

Well, I´m not totally sold on the injury bug being the only reason for it. Bulaga had a great season in 2011 at RT, but didn´t play nearly as well in 2012 before getting injured. The sample size on Sherrod is too small to judge his play, but he wasn´t great during his rookie season before his injury.

In addition, nobody really knows if Bulaga would be able to play LT at the same level he´s able to play on the right side. If Bakhtiari is able to make a similar jump than Bulaga did after his rookie season he could become the Packers LT for the foreseeable future.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Believe it or not, on a down to down basis, Lang may have been better than Sitton this year, though Sitton had the better body of work. Granted, part of that is how terrible Sitton is in space. We still have one of the more solid Guard duos in the entire NFL

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not, on a down to down basis, Lang may have been better than Sitton this year, though Sitton had the better body of work. Granted, part of that is how terrible Sitton is in space. We still have one of the more solid Guard duos in the entire NFL

PFF has Sitton graded as the #2 guard in the league

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is ProFootballFocus.com the same site that had the Indianapolis Colts offensive line graded as one of the best early this season?

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/point-...bly-the-best-pair-of-guards-in-the-nfl-ho-hum

Bus cook (forum member), says Ted is to blame for a terrible o line but the guards seem pretty solid

I think guards are currently the strength of our o-line. However I don't think we have have the best tandem. Here is my top three.
1) San Fransisco (Iupati and Boone)
2) Saints (Evans and Grubbs)
3) Baltimore (Yonda and Osemele), granted there tackles are awful

Tampa would have been my number 1 with Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks if they were healthy, but they haven't been all year.

I think Green Bay would slide in about 4 or 5 this season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guard play generally isn't the best indicator of oline play. There's a reason that tackles make a lot more money (in general) than guards. Don't get me wrong, guards are important but not to the level of tackles.

That being said, I could care less how dominant our oline is. Super Bowl winners aren't built on olines. I can't think of the last team that won a Super Bowl with a dominant oline.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/point-...bly-the-best-pair-of-guards-in-the-nfl-ho-hum

Bus cook (forum member), says Ted is to blame for a terrible o line but the guards seem pretty solid

I think guards are currently the strength of our o-line. However I don't think we have have the best tandem. Here is my top three.

Tampa would have been my number 1 with Davin Joseph and Carl Nicks if they were healthy, but they haven't been all year.

Guard play generally isn't the best indicator of oline play. There's a reason that tackles make a lot more money (in general) than guards. Don't get me wrong, guards are important but not to the level of tackles.

That being said, I could care less how dominant our oline is. Super Bowl winners aren't built on olines. I can't think of the last team that won a Super Bowl with a dominant oline.

I disagree there. You need a good O-line to win a Superbowl. Give me a stud QB and a top O-line, and you are one of the Super Bowl favorites every year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I disagree there. You need a good O-line to win a Superbowl. Give me a stud QB and a top O-line, and you are one of the Super Bowl favorites every year.

That 96 Packers O-line wasn't very good, neither was our 2010 O-line.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes you say that? History says otherwise. 2010 it was below avg. giants have had some bad ones recently and won the SB.

Last year both SF and Baltimore had very good lines. Giants line in their Super Bowl years were better than they were this year. Saints line was excellent the year they won the Super Bowl. Brees was rarely touched and they ran the ball exceptionally well. Brady was never touched when NE won there three Super Bowls. Like I said give me a stud QB and a top O-line and I will take my chances.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes i agree to unban Bus. I'll just come out and say it. The guy was kinda entertaining and he wasn't that bad. I've seen worse.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

that's interesting because i see Lang moving to center next year.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Lang stays put and we FA for a center. Centers are generally cheaper to sign and there are some decent ones available. Goodwin from SF and Mack from CLE off the top of my head. Otherwise I know they like Tretter. Either way I think EDS is done.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Lang stays put and we FA for a center. Centers are generally cheaper to sign and there are some decent ones available. Goodwin from SF and Mack from CLE off the top of my head. Otherwise I know they like Tretter. Either way I think EDS is done.

I have no idea why you think EDS is done. IMO he´s done a decent job this season and we should absolutelty resign him. We have to do something about our tackle situation though, although I think getting Bulaga back and Sherrod being healthy could help.

J Mills

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think EDS is no more than a backup. He has done a decent job this season, but decent is the key word. He is average at best at center and is the weak link of a line that could be pretty damn good next year if we upgrade the center position.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts