Best Green Bay Packer player EVER?

Who was THE GREATEST player to ever wear a Green Bay Packer jersey?

• Brett Favre – QB

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Forrest Gregg – OT

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Paul Hornung – RB

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Don Hutson – WR, DB, K

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • James Lofton – WR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Nitschke – ILB

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Aaron Rodgers – QB

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Bart Starr – QB

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Jim Taylor – RB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reggie White – DE

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi said Forrest Gregg was the finest player he ever coached. Go back and look at old films and see what a skilled pass blocker he was. Deacon Jones couldn't beat him. That was before linemen could extend their arms and the head slap was allowed. Gregg had great foot work, balance and leverage. He was a skilled run blocker as well. He played right guard when Kramer was out and could pull as well as Kramer and Thurston. He was as sound technically as any player that the Packers ever had and one of the toughest.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not so sure I could name the BEST player to wear G&G. I’m from the Starr era and his five championships would point me in his direction.

As for the most EXCITING player, IMHO, that’s hands down Favre.

U.P. Packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the greatest Player has to be Starr with his 5 rings. The F word wouldn't make my top 10. He played in a west coast offense. That is supposed to be a ball control offense and the dumb hillbilly holds the record for INTs! Add to that all the drama of the prima donna not wanting to practice in the summer, the fake retirements, the blaming teammates for his stupid mistakes and you have someone who was as much a headache as he was a help. Somebody mentioned that he did not have great receivers. He had Sharpe who was on his way to a Hall of Fame career before his neck ended his career. Freeman, Brooks, Walker, and Jennings were not exactly chopped liver either.
I started watching the Pack in '68 so I missed Starr in his prime and some of the other Lombardi guys completely.
My list would be Starr, White, Hudson, Gregg, Nitschke, Taylor, Adderley, Rodgers, Davis, Sharpe, Lofton, Hornung, Butler.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved it when Ray would start the game with a big hit on a RB. It set the tone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the greatest Player has to be Starr with his 5 rings. The F word wouldn't make my top 10. He played in a west coast offense. That is supposed to be a ball control offense and the dumb hillbilly holds the record for INTs! Add to that all the drama of the prima donna not wanting to practice in the summer, the fake retirements, the blaming teammates for his stupid mistakes and you have someone who was as much a headache as he was a help. Somebody mentioned that he did not have great receivers. He had Sharpe who was on his way to a Hall of Fame career before his neck ended his career. Freeman, Brooks, Walker, and Jennings were not exactly chopped liver either.
I started watching the Pack in '68 so I missed Starr in his prime and some of the other Lombardi guys completely.
My list would be Starr, White, Hudson, Gregg, Nitschke, Taylor, Adderley, Rodgers, Davis, Sharpe, Lofton, Hornung, Butler.
Favre also had Donald Driver to throw too, hardly chopped liver.

I agree with everything you say about him. To me, his ultimate diss was playing for the hated Queens. And yeah, along with the consecutive streak and the yards and TDs comes the NFL record for most INTs. A little balance is in order when looking at his record.

He was fun to watch though, much as I hate to admit it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre may not have had the greatest WR's in the game, but he wasn't short on offensive weapons either. He rarely had to play with Jeff Janis and Abbrederis as his top 2 WR's in a playoff game. He may not have had Driver, Jennings, Jones every year, but he had Chewy, bennet/levens Brooks, Freeman, Sharpe, Jennings, Driver an exceptional back in A. Green, very dependable offensive lines and some great defenses behind him. Favre wasn't needing anything more than he had to win more games. anyone trying to play the "not good enough WR's" card doesn't get any sympathy from me.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre may not have had the greatest WR's in the game, but he wasn't short on offensive weapons either. He rarely had to play with Jeff Janis and Abbrederis as his top 2 WR's in a playoff game. He may not have had Driver, Jennings, Jones every year, but he had Chewy, bennet/levens Brooks, Freeman, Sharpe, Jennings, Driver an exceptional back in A. Green, very dependable offensive lines and some great defenses behind him. Favre wasn't needing anything more than he had to win more games. anyone trying to play the "not good enough WR's" card doesn't get any sympathy from me.
I don’t even know how someone can say he didn’t have a solid supporting cast. And he would have had two SB rings if Holmgren had taken Denver a little more seriously.

He’s not my favorite Packer, but he’s top 5. He played through injuries that would have sidelined any other QB in the league. I still remember when he injured his thumb, it was swollen as big as a cucumber. I still don’t know how he managed to grip the ball, much less play at an elevated level.

Members online

Latest posts