Best Green Bay Packer player EVER?

Who was THE GREATEST player to ever wear a Green Bay Packer jersey?

• Brett Favre – QB

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Forrest Gregg – OT

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Paul Hornung – RB

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Don Hutson – WR, DB, K

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • James Lofton – WR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Nitschke – ILB

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Aaron Rodgers – QB

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Bart Starr – QB

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Jim Taylor – RB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reggie White – DE

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dave Robinson was at my aunt and uncles for a cookout 2 years ago before the Cinci game. My 8+ decades old grandma was a little kid again. Later that night he picked up our one year old and proclaimed him a linebacker :) Currently he's throwing 15 gallon tubs at his older brother LOL

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always liked Dave Robinson. Smart and with a sense of humor. He rapped up Dandy Don Meredith pretty good on the last play of the Championship game in Dallas. But I mean, he was just a great linebacker. That crew along with Ray and Lee Roy Caffey was one of the best ever in the NFL.

TosaFan76

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are so many Packer legends, particularly at QB. I'd pick Bart Starr as the best of them.

I was very young when he was in his prime so I never got to see him play. I'll quote Wikipedia: "Starr has the highest postseason passer rating (104.8) of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972." He led the team to 2 championships, something neither Brett or Aaron has done.

In the NFL it's all about winning. Bart Starr was a winner.

Reaction score
There are so many Packer legends, particularly at QB. I'd pick Bart Starr as the best of them.

I was very young when he was in his prime so I never got to see him play. I'll quote Wikipedia: "Starr has the highest postseason passer rating (104.8) of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972." He led the team to 2 championships, something neither Brett or Aaron has done.

In the NFL it's all about winning. Bart Starr was a winner.
Agree. Bart’s got another compelling argument on his side. Being the “best GBP” should absolutely encompass how they represented the team as a whole, not just stats.
I rethought this and changed my mind and I’ll go Bart.
Bart’s going to score at or near the top on the
“all-around” and on or off the field he’s in the conversation for the top guy of what I would want for my team if I were the owner.

TosaFan76

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart’s got another compelling argument on his side. Being the “best GBP” should absolutely encompass how they represented the team as a whole, not just stats.

Yep. Bart Starr was the face of the Packers from the time he first started playing until his recent passing. He was a good man and the best ambassador the Packer-nation could have asked for.

Many years ago I met a pub owner in Oxford England who had been a die-hard Packer fan since Starr's glory days. He showed all the Packers games at his pub and would stay open all night when the Pack was playing a night game.

Brett and Aaron are great QBs but they didn't make the Packers who they are.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll quote Wikipedia: "Starr has the highest postseason passer rating (104.8) of any quarterback in NFL history and a postseason record of 9–1. His career completion percentage of 57.4 was an NFL best when he retired in 1972." He led the team to 2 championships, something neither Brett or Aaron has done.

Just to clarify, Starr won five championships (two Super Bowls among them) with the Packers.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't around at the time but the stats Don Hutson put up during his time playing were crazy compared to anyone else in the league.

Most of his records stood for decades and I believe he still holds a couple to this day. It would be fun to be able to go into a time machine and watch him play in his prime.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure who threw all the TDs to Hutson. Cecil Isbell or Arnie Herber. But they must have been able to throw pretty well. And back then The Packers won 3 championships in a row. I never understood why that is never recognized.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure who threw all the TDs to Hutson. Cecil Isbell or Arnie Herber. But they must have been able to throw pretty well. And back then The Packers won 3 championships in a row. I never understood why that is never recognized.

good point but I think it is fairly well recognized among people who are fans of the NFL and its history. I just don't think many younger people fit that mold. You can't really fault them for that as its just not their thing. Another part of the problem is that many people just don't recognize non Super Bowl championships as being as important especially back in the early days when all you needed to do to be champion was to have the best record. There were no playoffs or championship games. Not that it means any less as far as being the champion goes as those were the rules back then but I can also see where people would tend to lessen the importance of those games. It would be no different than the team with the best record in the regular season now claiming to be world champion.

As far as Isbell and Herber I think the same can be said. As time goes on memories of the stars of the past fade away. Its one reason why Starr losses points to Favre and Rodgers. As old guys who watched Starr play die off the only thing we have is films and the active guys keep showing their stuff and the younger and younger fans see that new stuff and that is what they remember. Its why I think Favre was more influential on the whole than Starr for the Packers QB. Its not that he was a better player or did more on the field its just that I think he was recognized more due to his exposure (and I'm not talking about he Jen Sterger incident)

Herber is in the NFL HOF and fans of Packers and NFL history know what he and Isbell did. I don't find it strange that recognition of their contributions are limited to that. The bottom line is younger fans in general are just not as interested in the history of ther NFL or even their team.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the 3 in a row. It was different then no doubt. But no other team ever did it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure who threw all the TDs to Hutson. Cecil Isbell or Arnie Herber.

Hutson caught 33 touchdown passes from Isbell and 29 from Herber. The other players that threw TD passes to him were Irv Comp (18), Tony Canadeo (7), Roy McKay (5), Bob Monnett (5) and Hal Van Every (2).

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other teams have a "no brainer" BEST player (e.g. Walter Payton for the Bears, Tom Brady for the Patriots, etc.)... in your opinion, who was THE BEST player to ever put on a Green Bay Packer jersey?

My Bear's-fan coworkers asked me and I had to think for quite a while. The poll only allowed 10 names so I had to pare-down my list. IMHO all could be justified as there have been SO MANY greats, but to pick only 1 is really tough.

The person that came up with the poll forgot that Hornung was a part time kicker too? As was Guard Jerry Kramer.

OP
OP
Pkrjones

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The person that came up with the poll forgot that Hornung was a part time kicker too? As was Guard Jerry Kramer.
Sorry I wasn't more detailed in their position descriptions, not sure if this sways anyone's opinion.

Hornung - HB, K, QB (threw 55 passes, 5 TD's and 4 INT's)
Nitschke - ILB, Receiver, Kick Returner (caught 1 pass for a TD, returned 7 kicks for a 10.1 yd avg.)
J. Taylor - FB, Kick Returner (7 for 26.4 yd avg)
F. Gregg - OT, Kick Returner (2 for 10.5 yd avg)

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't more detailed in their position descriptions, not sure if this sways anyone's opinion.

Hornung - HB, K, QB (threw 55 passes, 5 TD's and 4 INT's)
Nitschke - ILB, Receiver, Kick Returner (caught 1 pass for a TD, returned 7 kicks for a 10.1 yd avg.)
J. Taylor - FB, Kick Returner (7 for 26.4 yd avg)
F. Gregg - OT, Kick Returner (2 for 10.5 yd avg)
It's hard to believe there was a time when teams didn't pay players just to kick. WR Boyd Dowler and RB Donny Anderson were also punters.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Saw this posted online today, another special play by Favre. Some might call it reckless and not listening to his coach, but in the end, it is the type of play that just showed Favre's true grit and desire to win.

Watch this knowing it is 3rd down, no timeouts left and 21 seconds on the clock, Packers down by 3 in a game to get them into the Playoffs. Final game at County Stadium in Milwaukee.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1141395902847959042

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saw this posted online today, another special play by Favre. Some might call it reckless and not listening to his coach, but in the end, it is the type of play that just showed Favre's true grit and desire to win.

Watch this knowing it is 3rd down, no timeouts left and 21 seconds on the clock, Packers down by 3 in a game to get them into the Playoffs. Final game at County Stadium in Milwaukee.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1141395902847959042
Holmgren said “do not scramble!”

Favre hears it: do not!... Scramble

That play is a great example of what made Favre great. Quintessential Brett Favrish. That’s one thing him and Aaron do have in common is the nose for how to Win. Maybe different styles but both QBs have an instinct to rise to the occasion.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren said “do not scramble!”

Favre hears it: do not!... Scramble

That play is a great example of what made Favre great. Quintessential Brett Favrish. That’s one thing him and Aaron do have in common is the nose for how to Win. Maybe different styles but both QBs have an instinct to rise to the occasion.

You used to hear it all the time "that's a throw only Brett Favre can make" My take was more like "that's a throw only Brett Favre WOULD make" I'm not sure if that was good or bad but it sure was exciting

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait what about the guy with all the championship trophies? 7X All-pro. Even returned punts and had a pick six. You know. This guy.

For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind when you posted was this

but you are right. Graham is often overlooked mostly because of the fact he played so long ago but there are still a few who put him at the top and in many ways deservedly so.

King_Meruem

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind when you posted was this

but you are right. Graham is often overlooked mostly because of the fact he played so long ago but there are still a few who put him at the top and in many ways deservedly so.

Aaron Rodgers is the most talented quarterback ever.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are so blessed to have so many great men, packers and legends.

May heart says Nitchske, Gregg or Starr but too many to pick one.

Go pack go!

Members online