Best Green Bay Packer player EVER?

Who was THE GREATEST player to ever wear a Green Bay Packer jersey?

• Brett Favre – QB

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Forrest Gregg – OT

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Paul Hornung – RB

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Don Hutson – WR, DB, K

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • James Lofton – WR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Nitschke – ILB

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Aaron Rodgers – QB

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Bart Starr – QB

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Jim Taylor – RB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reggie White – DE

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other teams have a "no brainer" BEST player (e.g. Walter Payton for the Bears, Tom Brady for the Patriots, etc.)... in your opinion, who was THE BEST player to ever put on a Green Bay Packer jersey?

My Bear's-fan coworkers asked me and I had to think for quite a while. The poll only allowed 10 names so I had to pare-down my list. IMHO all could be justified as there have been SO MANY greats, but to pick only 1 is really tough.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

No Arnie Herber? Adderley, Wood, Davis or Woodson? ;) I admire Davis for not just his play but for standing with that group of elite athletes behind Ali as he defended his decision to resist the draft.

The long and short answer is all of the above and none of the above.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i try the impossible. 1 Starr 2. White 3.Hudson 4. Nitschke 5. Gregg 6. Farve 7. Hornung 8. Rodgers 9. Lofton 10 Taylor.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hornung. He was clearly the superstar of the Lombardi era. Nitschke, Gregg, Kramer etc made the cake, but Paul was the cherry/cream on top.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers or Favre don't even belong in the top 25 IMO and a definitive #1 is impossible to come up with. Following a team with such a rich tradition makes it very difficult to choose. How spoiled are we?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
They are all Hall of Fame in my book. I won't vote for one over the other because I'm not a fan of individual players in the consummate TEAM sport. Knowwatibesayin?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of Packers lore and legend...I cannot decide just one.....my Mt. Rushmore would be Starr, Hornung, Hudson and White I think....leaving out Nitschke, Kramer and Favre is tough IMO.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't around at the time but the stats Don Hutson put up during his time playing were crazy compared to anyone else in the league.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt it’s Favre in the post Lombardi years. Lombardi said Gregg was the finest football player he ever coached... that’s hard to argue with. Take it from me... I’d argue Nitschke

D

Deleted member 6794

It's close to impossible to answer that question, especially as I never saw most of those players actually play.

But as gopkrs correctly pointed the numbers suggest Hutson was the best player in Packers history.

Just take a look at the receiving leaders in league history at the point he retired in 1945:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It took another 18 years for a receiver to pass him in receptions and receiving yards as well as until 1989 before Steve Largent moved past him in receiving touchdowns.

In addition Hutson had a season in which he had 74 catches for 1,211 yards and 17 touchdowns in 1942!!!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If I`m honest, in view of the recent loss of a Packer legend this is a bit inappropriate. As somebody else said it is a team sport, but Bart Starr was a legend to everybody who ever followed the Green Bay Packers. I`m sorry if this is offensive to the OP but for me it`s far too soon. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Pkrjones

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I`m honest, in view of the recent loss of a Packer legend this is a bit inappropriate. As somebody else said it is a team sport, but Bart Starr was a legend to everybody who ever followed the Green Bay Packers. I`m sorry if this is offensive to the OP but for me it`s far too soon. Just my opinion.
I'm not offended and it wasn't my intention to denigrate ANY of our Packer legends. I was actually asked the question from co-workers last Thursday but didn't post it until yesterday... sorry if the timing offends anyone, that was not the intent.

I

I'm not offended and it wasn't my intention to denigrate ANY of our Packer legends. I was actually asked the question from co-workers last Thursday but didn't post it until yesterday... sorry if the timing offends anyone, that was not the intent.

My view wasn`t an official one, just an observation. I`d have been fine with it a few weeks down the line, and it might just be me. Thank you for the apology though ;). Definately no hard feelings on my part, just an opinion mate.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't around at the time but the stats Don Hutson put up during his time playing were crazy compared to anyone else in the league.

He compares to a Babe Ruth - their numbers were so far above those of their peers.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My view is that Starr wouldn't want us to refrain from discussing Packers legends just because he recently passed away.

I

My view is that Starr wouldn't want us to refrain from discussing Packers legends just because he recently passed away.

And you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I just feel it is a bit inappropriate at the moment.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other teams have a "no brainer" BEST player (e.g. Walter Payton for the Bears, Tom Brady for the Patriots, etc.)... in your opinion, who was THE BEST player to ever put on a Green Bay Packer jersey?

My Bear's-fan coworkers asked me and I had to think for quite a while. The poll only allowed 10 names so I had to pare-down my list. IMHO all could be justified as there have been SO MANY greats, but to pick only 1 is really tough.

It figures your Bears-fan coworkers need a Packer to do the thinking.

I chose Ray Nitschke. It really was a vote for (in no particular order) him, Willie Davis, Henry Jordan, Lionel Aldridge, Ron Kostelnik, Dave Robinson, Herb Adderley, Willie Wood, Lee Roy Caffey, Bob Jeter, and yes, even Tom Brown.

The Lombardi era defense does not get enough credit for those five championships.

Trouble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre - had a collection of crap receivers , bad defense that kept him off the field or opposing teams tried to run as much clock as possible, running backs that liked to fumble, lots of interceptions, and wtf the guy one 60 percent plus of his games. Ted Hendricks was a monster on defense and deserves to be on list as much as white. Star era packers were they individually good or did they just make each other better. Yep Brett the best if you weigh all factors.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre - had a collection of crap receivers , bad defense that kept him off the field or opposing teams tried to run as much clock as possible, running backs that liked to fumble, lots of interceptions, and wtf the guy one 60 percent plus of his games. Ted Hendricks was a monster on defense and deserves to be on list as much as white. Star era packers were they individually good or did they just make each other better. Yep Brett the best if you weigh all factors.
Not sure why you put the interceptions in there but it is certainly true. And Hendricks played what, one season for The Pack.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre - had a collection of crap receivers , bad defense that kept him off the field
Favre's Packers had a number of good defenses when he played. He certainly had better defenses than Rodgers has had. I'm a little surprised Favre leads this poll 8-1 over Rodgers, considering it's always been my impression that most people here would consider Rodgers the better quarterback. Maybe people want to wait until his career is over to pass such judgements. I have a feeling if this poll had been up a few years ago (before the Pack went into the dumpster), it might look different.

I'm not looking to bad mouth Favre though, he was fun to watch, an iron man, had a great arm, and got to two Super Bowls. Also held a boatload of records when he retired.

Members online

Latest posts