best corner in the league

nastynice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
whats up packer fans, big time raider fan here, just wondering what's ur take on a topic that comes up every now n then on our boards. So, top 3 corners in the league aso, woodson, and revis, i think no one's gonna argue that. Who do you guys think is the #1?

Revis seems to get the most media attention, they love him. Woodson won defensive player of the year. Aso is stuck on a struggling team, really doesn't get much love, but I think he's the best.

Woodson is more versatile, the fact that the guy can line up and play slot is amazing, something aso can't do. However, I think Aso's shutdown skills are in a league of its own, i think its been that way for a couple years now. The guys given up less than 500 yards in the past 3 seasons combined, comes out to something like 10 yards a game.

Don't get me wrong tho, woodson's my boy, i love that guy, i still rock his jersey (the silver and black, not ur guys' ugly spinach, haha) with pride. Reminds me of brighter days in oakland. Too bad we traded him before aso broke out, if we had those two it woulda been ridiculous.

So anyways, just curious as to packer fan perspective on the topic, who's the best of the best??

OP
OP
N

nastynice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha, y does it say cheerleader under my name?? thats my status? thats messed up

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most people seem to agree that Revis is probably the best pure corner. Woodson is the best defensive player, because he can do it all and then some.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
#1) Harris. #2) Woodson (as stated above for versatility) #3) Revis. :p

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey nastynice welcome to the forum! Yeah the cheerleader thing is annoying, it's basically the name that they give you when you first sign up for this site. I was one too :)

As for the best CB in the league argument I would definitely say it's Asomugha. A lot of people will argue that it's either Woodson or Revis. Woodson is a true playmaker, but we did see some kinks in his play that showed he can't shutdown the best of them anymore. Not that he isn't good or anything it's just that he can't defend father time (no pun intended). Revis is a shutdown CB... because of THIS YEAR! I can't believe people would discount Asomugha for Revis due to one season alone. I remember NY fans disappointed with Revis' rookie season in '07 because he didn't make an immediate impact. He would get beat deep often and would require safety help almost all the time. Then came '08 where his INT numbers increased but people still claimed he wasn't playing up to his true potential. Many Jets fans even considered him a bit overrated. And now that he showed he had something in 1 season he should be the best CB in the league??? In the words of Ochocinco, "Child Please!"

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson is the best player by miles. It's not even close. He simply can do it all, and all incredibly well. He's got more ballhawking skills, is better at zone, can rush the passer much better and can tackle miles better (just look at the BAL game last year, they were in the goalline, and Woodson literally flew to tackle Willis McGahee for a loss... That's why Packer fans call him Superman)

Aso is the best man-to-man corner. He can blanket a receiver better than Woodson. Revis was better last year, but Aso's got the most production by a larger period of time.

Revis is a little better at zone than Aso.

That's my take.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
You specified corner, and Revis plays his position better than Woodson. Woodson makes more plays and is more versatile, and if I had to choose between them as to who I'd want on my team for one year it'd be Charles, but Revis is a better cover guy and does the stuff a corner's supposed to do better.

Woodson's a better playmaker, Revis is a better corner.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You specified corner, and Revis plays his position better than Woodson. Woodson makes more plays and is more versatile, and if I had to choose between them as to who I'd want on my team for one year it'd be Charles, but Revis is a better cover guy and does the stuff a corner's supposed to do better.

Woodson's a better playmaker, Revis is a better corner.
WHAT????

So a corner isn't supposed to tackle, or int? Or sack when he's asked to? Or play zone?

If Woodson is asked to mainly cover a receiver, he can do it. Is he as good as Revis doing that? no.

But Revis cannot do what Woodson is asked to do...

A corner isn't just someone who has to cover the opposing receiver.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
WHAT????

So a corner isn't supposed to tackle, or int? Or sack when he's asked to? Or play zone?

If Woodson is asked to mainly cover a receiver, he can do it. Is he as good as Revis doing that? no.

But Revis cannot do what Woodson is asked to do...

A corner isn't just someone who has to cover the opposing receiver.
What's a corner's main job? To cover. If he can't do that, he can't be successful. And Revis is better at that. Frankly, he's quite a bit better at it. Not that Woodson isn't good at covering, he is, but he isn't in Revis' league. Honestly, nobody's in Revis' league.

Yes, tackling's important, but it's not like Revis is awful at that. And he had 6 picks last year. And no, I'm not factoring in pass rush. Because it's largely irrelevant. How often do they send Revis? Probably never. Not his fault. I'm not going to hold the fact that he can't play linebacker against him because this is about being a corner. And a corner's job is to cover. And nobody's better at that than Revis.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's a corner's main job? To cover. If he can't do that, he can't be successful. And Revis is better at that. Frankly, he's quite a bit better at it. Not that Woodson isn't good at covering, he is, but he isn't in Revis' league. Honestly, nobody's in Revis' league.

Yes, tackling's important, but it's not like Revis is awful at that. And he had 6 picks last year. And no, I'm not factoring in pass rush. Because it's largely irrelevant. How often do they send Revis? Probably never. Not his fault. I'm not going to hold the fact that he can't play linebacker against him because this is about being a corner. And a corner's job is to cover. And nobody's better at that than Revis.

I agree with all your points except that I can't believe that you're on the Revis bandwagon. Sure his INT numbers have gone up over the only 3 years he's played in the league but let's remember it wasn't until last year where he was considered as a true shutdown corner. A guy that has been doing it considerably year after year is Nnamdi Asomugha. So let's wait till next season until we can make a definitive conclusion that he's the best CB currently playing shall we?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong tho, woodson's my boy, i love that guy, i still rock his jersey (the silver and black, not ur guys' ugly spinach, haha) with pride. Reminds me of brighter days in oakland. Too bad we traded him before aso broke out, if we had those two it woulda been ridiculous.
Not to burst your bubble nasty, but you guys didn't trade Woodson to us. We got him for free.
Senile Al let him go. For free.
As in FREE AGENT.

Sure it was risky a bit as many FA's are, and all draft picks are. But I think it's yet another case of free agency being a great tool for assembling talent at a cheap price. Now it took a big contract though, but not compared to today's deals.

I hate Revis and think he's overrated. I saw him get away with pass interference that we the Packers always get called for.

#1- Aso
#2- Woodson
#3- Revis

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A corner's main job depends on his assignment.

Revis isn't better at playing zone coverage than Woodson. Nobody in the league is, quite frankly. Samuel can be as good as Woodson, but he gambles too much.

Like I said, he's better at covering man. And so is Asomugah. Both of the teams play mainly man coverages, so they fully utilize their best atributes. The Raiders play 90% on cover-two man. And the Jets play A LOT of cover one and even zero coverages, but again, 90% man coverages...

But Woodson has played bump-and-run and excelled. He has played ZC and excelled. He has even played S and done well (though not excelled. People think about moving him to S, and it's a clear decrease in production...)

You cannot simplify the CB position by saying whoever covers man better is the best cornerback. That's just ignorant.

I agree, the most sought-after atribute of a CB is coverage skills. But a fantastic man coverage corner, with good zone coverage, good instincts and good tackling isn't better than a great man coverage corner, with great zone coverage, fantastic instincts and great tackling...

Like I said, if I had to choose between the two to blanket a receiver, no doubt I'd choose Revis.

But if I had to choose one to play CORNERBACK, it'd be Woodson.

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say Woodson is the best CB right now. Yes I'll be honest, I'm a little bit biased, but I've also got numbers to back me up.

In 2009:

-Woodson-
74 tackles
9 Interceptions
4 Forced Fumbles

-Revis-
54 Tackles
6 Interceptions
0 Forced Fumbles

Woodson had more tackles, more interceptions, and forced more fumbles. He even had two sacks and Revis had zero, but rushing the QB isn't something a corner does so I decided not to include that.

Revis is the better 'Pure Cover' corner.
Woodson is a better Defensive player.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson has led the league in Turnover plays since becoming a Packer (INT, FF, and FR) and that beats Poly, Reed, and guys like Chromartie, Asohesthebgasfbsfbhdsbsdbh, and Revis. What Revis has over Woodson is the man skills. Though Woodson is very good he gets beat on some double moves trying to jump routes for picks. Aso stays on his man and doesnt bite and often blankets his receiver so well no one throws his way so he's left statless. I see this happening to Revis this season. emember when Aso had that great year and then the next season no one threw his way? It's Revis' turn.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I'd say Woodson is the best CB right now. Yes I'll be honest, I'm a little bit biased, but I've also got numbers to back me up.

In 2009:

-Woodson-
74 tackles
9 Interceptions
4 Forced Fumbles

-Revis-
54 Tackles
6 Interceptions
0 Forced Fumbles

Woodson had more tackles, more interceptions, and forced more fumbles. He even had two sacks and Revis had zero, but rushing the QB isn't something a corner does so I decided not to include that.

Revis is the better 'Pure Cover' corner.
Woodson is a better Defensive player.
The problem with stats, though, is that they don't take into account the possibility that the coverage was good enough in the first place, that those WR's were simply looked off. In the end, if you can have a corner who can consistently provide that coverage, like Revis can, you're going to see decreased production from star wideouts across the league.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deion Sanders couldn't tackle his sister. But he was the best cornerback of his era because he could cover like a blanket.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but Deion made up for his lack of tackling skills by picking the ball off and taking it the other way for a TD. Yet I don't think Deion was the best corner of his era. I'd give that to Rod Woodson.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sanders was just the fastest CB I've ever seen. His speed was his coverage.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all makes for a nice debate and sports talk, etc. but it doesn't matter a bit. Fact is, all three are excellent CBs and are playmakers for their teams. They are probably the three best in the league and all of their teams are happy to have them.

For the Packers, the question is not if Woodson is the best CB, but rather ... "With whom do we surround CW to make the Packer defensive TEAM the best in the NFL?".

OP
OP
N

nastynice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This all makes for a nice debate and sports talk, etc. but it doesn't matter a bit. Fact is, all three are excellent CBs and are playmakers for their teams. They are probably the three best in the league and all of their teams are happy to have them.

For the Packers, the question is not if Woodson is the best CB, but rather ... "With whom do we surround CW to make the Packer defensive TEAM the best in the NFL?".

yezzir, at the end of the day this is whats up. Three dope corners.

Aso is the definition of a blanket, the man is in his own league when it comes to shutting down recievers. nobody else is even in the same stratosphere. My man has been the only bright spot in 7 yrs of futility for my RAIDAHS, and after ridin it like a g i think he gonna see some winning seasons now (if anyone thinks i'm trippin for thinking this, you must understand, the fact that we cut JaFatass Russell means that we already improved more than any other team this offseason)

C Woodson, everything you can possibley ask for from a db. He can do it on the outside, on the inside, in the offensive backfield, in the defensive backfield. And to be quite honest, once he becomes too old to play corner (which unfortunately isn't TOO far away), he's such a g that he'll probably move over to safety for a couple more years. Why? the man has instinct, u can't teach that. And just watch, he's returning to oakland for that, most owner's/coaches will think an over the hill corner is just an over the hill corner, but Al Davis will see that over the hill corner as a probowler safety. I miss this bastard. COME BACK!!!

Revis, the boy is nasty, lil bit of aso/woodson mix, pretty good at shutting down recievers (not as good as aso) and pretty good at making impact plays all over the field (not as good as woodson), but no one's saying that's a bad thing, cuz that just means his game is a little broader than the two previously mentioned. The guy is only 24, and if he keeps playing the way he's been playing last year, well then he will enter the "aso zone", looking at less than 2 throws per game to his side. You may think he's overrated, you may think he just benefits from Rex Ryan's genius schemes, but at the end of the day you want him on your team.

All that being said, aso's still the best :icon_mrgreen:. FIVE HUNDRED YARDS given up in THREE SEASONS (48 games). I mean who the hell puts up numbers like that. That's like Rodgers throwing for 52 tds, 54tds, 47 tds. RIDICULOUS

...oh, and speaking of rodgers, dude is nasty, u lucky bastards went from brett farve to aaron rodgers. wow. we've had jamarcus russell for the past 3 yrs.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yezzir, at the end of the day this is whats up. Three dope corners.

Aso is the definition of a blanket, the man is in his own league when it comes to shutting down recievers. nobody else is even in the same stratosphere. My man has been the only bright spot in 7 yrs of futility for my RAIDAHS, and after ridin it like a g i think he gonna see some winning seasons now (if anyone thinks i'm trippin for thinking this, you must understand, the fact that we cut JaFatass Russell means that we already improved more than any other team this offseason)

C Woodson, everything you can possibley ask for from a db. He can do it on the outside, on the inside, in the offensive backfield, in the defensive backfield. And to be quite honest, once he becomes too old to play corner (which unfortunately isn't TOO far away), he's such a g that he'll probably move over to safety for a couple more years. Why? the man has instinct, u can't teach that. And just watch, he's returning to oakland for that, most owner's/coaches will think an over the hill corner is just an over the hill corner, but Al Davis will see that over the hill corner as a probowler safety. I miss this bastard. COME BACK!!!

Revis, the boy is nasty, lil bit of aso/woodson mix, pretty good at shutting down recievers (not as good as aso) and pretty good at making impact plays all over the field (not as good as woodson), but no one's saying that's a bad thing, cuz that just means his game is a little broader than the two previously mentioned. The guy is only 24, and if he keeps playing the way he's been playing last year, well then he will enter the "aso zone", looking at less than 2 throws per game to his side. You may think he's overrated, you may think he just benefits from Rex Ryan's genius schemes, but at the end of the day you want him on your team.

All that being said, aso's still the best :icon_mrgreen:. FIVE HUNDRED YARDS given up in THREE SEASONS (48 games). I mean who the hell puts up numbers like that. That's like Rodgers throwing for 52 tds, 54tds, 47 tds. RIDICULOUS

...oh, and speaking of rodgers, dude is nasty, u lucky bastards went from brett farve to aaron rodgers. wow. we've had jamarcus russell for the past 3 yrs.
How are Daryus Heyward-Bey and Darren McFadden doing???