1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Cellphone on the Market?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pegger Packer, Mar 28, 2011.

?

Which Phone would you recommend?

1. iPhone

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. BlackBerry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Android

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Windows phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other?

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    Hey all!

Sometime this summer/early fall, I will be needing a new cell phone contract but, more importantly, I will also be getting my first smartphone...

Now, as far as I'm concerned, there are 4 sorts of smartphone options out there:

iPhone?
    BlackBerry?
    Android?
    Windows Phone?

In terms of specific models, I'm sure that there will be way too many new models out between now and then, so I'm not really concerned with that.

What I am wondering is, though, for those who own or have owned one of these smartphone types, what made them awesome/suck, how accessible are all the features, and finally, which would you recommend?

I'm somewhat leaning towards an iPhone, just so I could be a trendy *******, and play angry birds 24/7, but BlackBerry's seem pretty awesome too. I know nothing about android phones, but from what i've heard they're sick? and I know that some sort of Windows phone exists, but I know ZIP about them.

I await your thoughts!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    the new iphone coming out this summer should be the best one on the market

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Nokia 5125

4. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Thanks for this thread. I too will be looking at new smart phone in May. I currently have a BlackBerry. My biggest complaint is SMALL SCREEN. Looking forward to getting a full screen that's easier to read. It often gets goofy (technical term) & I have to pull the battery & re-boot. UGH! I'm leaning toward Android. Rumor has it that IPhone doesn't do real well in my area (Green Bay) because of lack of towers. I also am looking forward to suggestions.

5. beautifuleyes

beautifuleyes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    playing angry birds 24/7 seems like your best bet :-P but it really depends on what the best deal we can get with the craptacular contracts Manitoba has to offer lol

6. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    Wow! Perfect timing for sure! I just got off CL looking at phones. Fortunately I have a friend that has an extra blackberry that she's going to let me use and see if i like it.

She's on her's 24/7... I don't want to be totally addicted, but at least want to use something that is user friendly!! I'll keep checking back on this thread for sure!

The one thing about the iphones, I don't like you can't switch out batteries. But alot of electronics is that way now. My son will soon be getting his 3rd, but the reception in our area is bad for AT&t and then the verizon iphone users are complaining too. About what I"m not sure. :phone:

7. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    :D too funny!

8. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    I would be concerned with the iPhone freezing and not being able to shut down. I've had countless phones that have required a 'hard shut down'... in fact, all my phones have needed that at some point...

BBM would be a big selling point for BlackBerrys, but I've heard android and iPhones have apps for BBM now. RIM has the marketing strategy that iPhone and Android phone owners will get so addicted to BBM that they'll switch to a BlackBerry for a more integrated messenger app

9. YoKramer

YoKramer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +29
    I have tons of friends with iPhones and I hate them with a passion. Only having one hard button drives me nuts and it never seems to do what I think it should. The no removeable battery and MEGA proprietary OS are both problems for me.

I had a BB Curve for 2 years and loved it for about 1 of them. After a while it started running poorly and I had to pull the battery once a week, then twice a week, then once a day, then at the end it was every 3 hours it seemed like.

Ive since switched to the HTC EVO and LOVE the phone. The Android interface is very intuitive and easy to learn. Also even with the stock OS it is very customizable, which isnt said about the iPhone, as well as 99% of the apps you can get on the iPhone are available in the Android Market as well. Battery is removable, and the screen is 11ty times bigger than the iPhones. Rooting is a snap with unrEVOked and there are 11ty new roms out there to try. I would recommend this phone to anyone.

10. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Thank you!
    I was beggining to think noone would notice/find that funny!

I was being serious, though, that was the best phone I've ever had, batery never ran out, could get a line anywhere, was really easy to use, plus, was a record beater on snake!

11. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    Those old Nokias did rock!! Did you ever have the kind that lit up like crazy on the sides?? You can find your way in the dark, or get a wicked tan on your side of your face! LOL!

Thank goodness they are improving on style and size ect.. of phones in general .. Thankfully you don't need to pull out the atennae anymore to take a call!:yes2:

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    It's crazy, right?

Nowadays, the least important feature on a phone is the ability to call...

13. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I've had an iPhone for about 3 years now and I love it. The phone actually does have a hard shut down, unless you're referring to being able to remove the battery.

Honestly, in my opinion, at this point I think that the differences between the Android and the iOS and the devices that are made with them are so minimally important that it really just becomes a matter of preference. Try out both of them at the store and see which one you're more comfortable with and what feels better to you.

Also, since the iPhone is now on Verizon, carrier issues shouldn't be a problem anymore. If you're thinking ATT has crummy service in GB, then try out Verizon. It doesn't make sense that any one type of phone would have crappier service than another on the same network (except for the antenna issues, solved by a case).

14. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Does anyone out there have 4G? We won't have it for at least another year. Just wondering how not having it would affect new new iphone? if at all? (I'm kind of cute but not technology savvy)

15. beautifuleyes

beautifuleyes Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31
    I bet the crummy service you guys refer to in the States is nothing compared to the garbage cell phone service in Manitoba... seriously the worst. I'm lucky if I have one bar of service most of the time... lol it's brutal!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    It shouldn't. All the new phones that are made are capable of working on older networks. I would think any 4g phone would work on a 3g network.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    AT&T just bought T-Mobile so its going to get even better as far as reception.

I have never had a problem with reception in the Green Bay area. Used to date a UW-osh girl and am in GB for work and packers so I frequent the area enough.

18. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    You have iphone? AT&T? I'm with Verizon & probably will stay with them since they now have iphone. Still not decided though.

19. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    I have a Droid X and like it for the most part. The main reason I like android is I have more options to do what I want to do and even more if you want to root the phone. Motorola has delusions of being like apple where they control the user tell them what they want so I am pretty sure my next phone will be an HTC Incredible 2 when its released. Verizon sucks, but not any harder than any other service.

I just bought my 10 year old the newest version of the iPod Touch with dual cameras. Its nice and smooth and takes great pictures. If you "need" to be hand held and want someone else to tell you what to do then get an iPhone. If you are interested in technology, like to change things and have options get a Android phone.

iPhone= Child's toy

20. The Drew

The Drew #packergang

Ratings:
    +490
    I had an iphone 3G and 3GS with ATT... I loved the phones but hated the ATT coverage... seems as if ATT has beefed up their network so it might not be too bad... One thing I didnt like about the iphones is that they arent flash enabled unless you jailbreak them... One bad thing with Verison iphones is that you dont have the option to surf the web when you are on a call... trust me it is a big deal...

I have since switched back over to Sprint and have the HTC EVO 4G... this phone does it all... flash enabled... surf and talk... really fast... I rooted my phone and can now use my phone as a hot spot for free... I have also underclocked the phone to save on battery life... that is the one downfall about the EVO is the battery life... all you have to do is manage it... i have done alot of research and adjusted my settings to prolong my battery life... it is awesome!!!

So from owning and iphone and an EVO I would give the advantage to the EVO... I believe it is the best phone out there for your money. My .02