Best case scenario for the draft in my opinion.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading the possibility of the Packers acting in free agency this year I think our best bet is to go after Ra'shede Hageman in the draft. Here's why: The dude is an absolute freak and could be another J.J. Watt and that's something this team really needs. Especially if we are going for the fast and athletic team Capers wants. The defense would be much improved with an athletic freak on the defense line. I know we need a safety, but if the Pack go after someone like Jairus Byrd in free agency, this pick is a must. There's a chance that he turns into Margus Hunt who was highly touted as a freak, but hasn't quite lived up to his draft stock. Depending on the combine, I'll take that chance. You just can't teach size and athleticism.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
After reading the possibility of the Packers acting in free agency this year I think our best bet is to go after Ra'shede Hageman in the draft. Here's why: The dude is an absolute freak and could be another BJ Raji and that's something this team really needs. Especially if we are going for the fast and athletic team Capers wants. The defense would be much improved with an athletic freak on the defense line. I know we need a safety, but if the Pack go after someone like Jairus Byrd in free agency, this pick is a must. There's a chance that he turns into Margus Hunt who was highly touted as a freak, but hasn't quite lived up to his draft stock. Depending on the combine, I'll take that chance. You just can't teach size and athleticism.
FIFY

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading the possibility of the Packers acting in free agency this year I think our best bet is to go after Ra'shede Hageman in the draft. Here's why: The dude is an absolute freak and could be another J.J. Watt and that's something this team really needs. Especially if we are going for the fast and athletic team Capers wants. The defense would be much improved with an athletic freak on the defense line. I know we need a safety, but if the Pack go after someone like Jairus Byrd in free agency, this pick is a must. There's a chance that he turns into Margus Hunt who was highly touted as a freak, but hasn't quite lived up to his draft stock. Depending on the combine, I'll take that chance. You just can't teach size and athleticism.
His performance in college did not match his capabilities. He screams underachiever to me. Handing this kid a couple of million may not be what he needs. I always think that prospects like this, their odds of succeeding increase the farther they drop in the draft. Give him a little cash and he will want more. Too much and he will never put in the time or effort

I would trade back and take him in the mid to early 2nd. I doubt he makes it out of the first, though.

My best case (but somewhat realistic) scenario is that Mosley or Dix is there for us at 21.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
His performance in college did not match his capabilities. He screams underachiever to me. Handing this kid a couple of million may not be what he needs. I always think that prospects like this, their odds of succeeding increase the farther they drop in the draft. Give him a little cash and he will want more. Too much and he will never put in the time or effort

I would trade back and take him in the mid to early 2nd. I doubt he makes it out of the first, though.

My best case (but somewhat realistic) scenario is that Mosley or Dix is there for us at 21.
Any number of reasons for that. See: Dontari Poe. I agree that motivation will be the key with prospects like that though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any number of reasons for that. See: Dontari Poe. I agree that motivation will be the key with prospects like that though.
Yep, I made the same prediction with him. I also made the same prediction for: Rolando McClain, Aaron Curry, Aaron Maybin, Vernon Gholston, etc. There are a few of these guys who succeed, but I think quite a bit more who fail. To me, he is not worth the risk. If you hit, you will hit big. If you miss, well, we have little production out of the last few drafts from the first round. Out of our control due to injury, but we have to turn it around.

Besides, I don't think that he will make it past the Bears. This is a deep draft and there will be a great player there for us at 21 with much less risk.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see your points. Well, if we don't make a trade for a safety we need to grab Pryor. If the kid can play man he'll be the absolute answer for this defense. And if Hageman drops into the second I say we'd be nuts not to give him a shot. I highly doubt he makes it out of the first though.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see your points. Well, if we don't make a trade for a safety we need to grab Pryor. If the kid can play man he'll be the absolute answer for this defense.

A free safety hardly plays any man coverage.

And if Hageman drops into the second I say we'd be nuts not to give him a shot. I highly doubt he makes it out of the first though.

Hageman probably won´t drop into the second round. I don´t want the Packers to draft to draft him in the first round. If it´s true the Packers want to get more athletic on the DL I would expect them to play him at NT, where he would face double teams most of the time where he´ll get blown back too often. In addition I don´t like his gap discipline. And I guarantee you would hear MM talking about his pad level more often that you would like to.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A free safety hardly plays any man coverage.

Hageman probably won´t drop into the second round. I don´t want the Packers to draft to draft him in the first round. If it´s true the Packers want to get more athletic on the DL I would expect them to play him at NT, where he would face double teams most of the time where he´ll get blown back too often. In addition I don´t like his gap discipline. And I guarantee you would hear MM talking about his pad level more often that you would like to.

You're right FS doesn't play man much, but packers like versatility and if he can play man and there's a need, he could move to corner.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. That was his point. He was a huge and very athletic guy who didn't do as much as you would expect in college. He was playing for a small program (Memphis) playing against weak competition. Yet he was not the most effective player on a team that was really bad. I was certain he was a work out wonder and not gritty enough to take the abuse in the NFL. Thought for sure he would bust. I was wrong - which is why he was brought up.

You just never know and there must have been other reasons for his lack of college production, other than motivation/toughness.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right FS doesn't play man much, but packers like versatility and if he can play man and there's a need, he could move to corner.
Agree with Capt, Pryor is not your best bet to have at CB. But it does give us some flexibility on how he does play safety and how our CBs can play their positions.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading the possibility of the Packers acting in free agency this year I think our best bet is to go after Ra'shede Hageman in the draft. Here's why: The dude is an absolute freak and could be another J.J. Watt and that's something this team really needs.

Thats an insult to JJ Watt. As someone who was close to the program during JJs time there, I can tell you he was by far the hardest worker on the team. He has the biggest motor I have ever seen for a player. No one out worked JJ. He is not another JJ. Watt is a once in a generation player. Hageman is a different kind of player, who could be successful as a NT, but not the guy I am cheering for in the draft for the pack to grab.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'm tired of getting exited about the draft....you never know who will pan out, especially for us. I know some guys take years to develope and other guys have an immediate impact (cm3)......but until they step on to the field during opening day kick off and make a difference i wont be exited.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my best case scenario for the draft. What do yall think?

1st round #21 ILB CJ Mosley 6-2 232 4.65 Alabama
Could develop into a Navarro Bowman type presence. Has the ability to line up at inside or outside backer. Is a very instinctive player who played in the 3-4 defense in college.
1st round #29 (patriots for 2nd #53,3rd #85,6th #181) S Calvin Pryor 6-2 208 4.52 Louisville
Could be a day one starter at strong safety in Green Bay allowing Morgan Burnett to return to free safety, the position he is better suited to play. Consistently delivers big hits something the Packers defenses of recent have been lacking.
3rd round #97 ? ( compensatory) S Jimmie Ward 5-11 192 Northern Illonois 4.52
Has the ability to play either free or strong safety and could immediately be the number 3 safety ready to step in for either Burnett or Pryor without missing a beat. Very sure tackler in the open field should excel on special teams and has shown a unique ability to block punts.
4th round #117 WR Martavis Bryant 6-4 200 4.38 Clemson
Would give the Packers a Randy Moss type of down field threat to develop. Would fit in very well as the number 4 reciever behind Nelson, Cobb, and Boykin as a rookie allowing the Packers to maintain a dangerous 4 wide look, even if Jones departs.
5th round #149 RB/WR/KR De'anthony Thomas 5-9 170 4.36 Oregon
Would keep Cobb off the return units. Has the ability to score from anywhere on the field whether it be on a return, a handoff, or a reception. Is a very good route runner who could be motioned out of the backfield or be lined up in the slot or outside and be dangerous on crossing routes or screens.
6th round #193 ? (compensatory) DL Deandre Coleman 6-5 315 Cal
Could play defensive end or nose tackle in the Packers 3-4. Has prototypical size and athleticism the Packers are looking to add to their defensive line. Would be excellent insurance against the loss of any or all 4 of the Packers pending free agent linemen, Raji, Pickett, Jolly, and Wilson.
7th round # TE Colt Lyera 6-5 250 4.59 Oregon
Is a troubled young man who needs to get his life in order. If he can he would be a steal for the Packers in the 7th round. He has shown the ability to be a dynamic player at the TE position and would be an ideal candidate to replace Jermichael Finley. Would add a new dimension to the offense as he has been effective motioning into the backfield and taking the handoff similar to the play McCarthy called for Cobb gin the playoff game with 1st and goal from the SF 9 yard line.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my best case scenario for the draft. What do yall think?

1st round #21 ILB CJ Mosley 6-2 232 4.65 Alabama
Could develop into a Navarro Bowman type presence. Has the ability to line up at inside or outside backer. Is a very instinctive player who played in the 3-4 defense in college.
1st round #29 (patriots for 2nd #53,3rd #85,6th #181) S Calvin Pryor 6-2 208 4.52 Louisville
Could be a day one starter at strong safety in Green Bay allowing Morgan Burnett to return to free safety, the position he is better suited to play. Consistently delivers big hits something the Packers defenses of recent have been lacking.
3rd round #97 ? ( compensatory) S Jimmie Ward 5-11 192 Northern Illonois 4.52
Has the ability to play either free or strong safety and could immediately be the number 3 safety ready to step in for either Burnett or Pryor without missing a beat. Very sure tackler in the open field should excel on special teams and has shown a unique ability to block punts.
4th round #117 WR Martavis Bryant 6-4 200 4.38 Clemson
Would give the Packers a Randy Moss type of down field threat to develop. Would fit in very well as the number 4 reciever behind Nelson, Cobb, and Boykin as a rookie allowing the Packers to maintain a dangerous 4 wide look, even if Jones departs.
5th round #149 RB/WR/KR De'anthony Thomas 5-9 170 4.36 Oregon
Would keep Cobb off the return units. Has the ability to score from anywhere on the field whether it be on a return, a handoff, or a reception. Is a very good route runner who could be motioned out of the backfield or be lined up in the slot or outside and be dangerous on crossing routes or screens.
6th round #193 ? (compensatory) DL Deandre Coleman 6-5 315 Cal
Could play defensive end or nose tackle in the Packers 3-4. Has prototypical size and athleticism the Packers are looking to add to their defensive line. Would be excellent insurance against the loss of any or all 4 of the Packers pending free agent linemen, Raji, Pickett, Jolly, and Wilson.
7th round # TE Colt Lyera 6-5 250 4.59 Oregon
Is a troubled young man who needs to get his life in order. If he can he would be a steal for the Packers in the 7th round. He has shown the ability to be a dynamic player at the TE position and would be an ideal candidate to replace Jermichael Finley. Would add a new dimension to the offense as he has been effective motioning into the backfield and taking the handoff similar to the play McCarthy called for Cobb gin the playoff game with 1st and goal from the SF 9 yard line.

Would obviously *love* this all to happen. But Pryor, Ward, and Bryant are all very unlikely to be available at those picks. Furthermore, I think we'll probably get a 4th round compensatory for Jennings, not a third. Hope I'm wrong.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah your prob right about Pryor, Ward, and Bryant. I based it on a simulation I did through fanspeak in which I was able to get those players at those spots.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah your prob right about Pryor, Ward, and Bryant. I based it on a simulation I did through fanspeak in which I was able to get those players at those spots.

Yeah. I do like fanspeak among the sims, but it's impossible to be perfect. For example, the league is super, super hungry for safeties this year, so while they might be ranked adequately by fanspeak, they don't take into account how teams are going to have to reach to get their safeties this year. And with Bryant, he may be a 3rd-4th round talent, but because he's one of those rare 6'4" guys that can catch, he'll be valued much higher. Hard to account for those sorts of things in a simulator without dedicating a stupid amount of time adjusting every single player's value based on the pulse of the league. For a sim mock, very good.

And gat dangit, Lyerla. Get your sh*t together. Kid could be such a beast if he'd stay off the smack.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm tired of getting exited about the draft....you never know who will pan out, especially for us. I know some guys take years to develope and other guys have an immediate impact (cm3)......but until they step on to the field during opening day kick off and make a difference i wont be exited.

What? You weren't excited when the Pack drafted Lacy in the second last year? Even if he didn't pan out completely that was a steal. You have to get excited for that.

Oh and as for the mock by thequick12 I love most of it, but I doubt the draft falls that way. One thing, I don't get all this love for Martavis Bryant. The guy is fast and tall, but there are so many knocks on him as far as hands, consistency, and route running. There are far better receivers that will be available in the 3rd and 4th. The draft is loaded with receiver talent.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
What? You weren't excited when the Pack drafted Lacy in the second last year? Even if he didn't pan out completely that was a steal. You have to get excited for that.

Oh and as for the mock by thequick12 I love most of it, but I doubt the draft falls that way. One thing, I don't get all this love for Martavis Bryant. The guy is fast and tall, but there are so many knocks on him as far as hands, consistency, and route running. There are far better receivers that will be available in the 3rd and 4th. The draft is loaded with receiver talent.

How could I be exited? The previous 2 RB's to come out of Bama didn't work out that well IMO. Trent richardson is a bum and Mark Ingram really is only a short yardage back...... so......third time was the charm for us, we got lucky I guess....considering the two before Lacy were wash outs IMO.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ingram doesnt get enough carries in that Saints system. They are constantly platooning 3-4 RBs in and out of the lineup. He actually had a very good season this past year considering that. If Ingram was in the correct system built around 1 (maybe 2) RBs, I think he'd be a 1300-1500 yard rusher. But in New Orleans, they legitimately use 3-4 RBs every game and none of their RBs get enough carries to get into any kind of rhythm.

Ingram is far from a bust. Hes just on the wrong team in the wrong system. Trent Richardson on the other hand is a bust so far.

Im an Alabama Crimson Tide fan by the way, so its why I posted this ;)

Members online

Latest posts