best case draft/free agency

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft
#21 Calvin Pryor S 5-11 207 4.58 can play free or strong, big hitter Packers have been lacking.
#53 Stephon Tuitt DE 6-5 304 protype big tall athletic 3-4 5 tech Packers haven't ever had.
#85 Martavis Bryant WR 6-4 211 4.42 39 in vertical Randy Moss jump ball type big play threat.
#117 Lamin Barrow ILB 6-1 237 4.64 athletic tackling machine could push Hawk and Jones to start.
#129 (comp) Jeff Janis WR 6-3 219 4.42 6.64 3 cone fast and quick could play inside or out like jordy
#150 Daniel McCullers NT 6-7 352 huge replacement for Raji and Pickett will certainly occupy 2
#162 (comp) Adrian Hubbard OLB 6-6 257 4.69 big athletic backer with 3-4 experience.
#183 Dri Archer KR/RB/WR 5-8 173 4.26 38 in vertical full time returner to keep Cobb off teams.
#215 Colt Lyerla TE 6-4 242 4.61 7th round gamble on athletic freak to replace Quarless.

In free agency packers:
Resign:
Sam Shields, Jermichael Finley, Evan Dietrich Smith, James Starks, Matt Flynn
Sign:
Jared Allen DE/OLB as an upgrade in the role Mike Neal played in 2013.
Mike Mitchell S as insurance at the safety position opposite Burnett.

D

Deleted member 6794

Draft
#21 Calvin Pryor S 5-11 207 4.58 can play free or strong, big hitter Packers have been lacking.
#53 Stephon Tuitt DE 6-5 304 protype big tall athletic 3-4 5 tech Packers haven't ever had.
#85 Martavis Bryant WR 6-4 211 4.42 39 in vertical Randy Moss jump ball type big play threat.
#117 Lamin Barrow ILB 6-1 237 4.64 athletic tackling machine could push Hawk and Jones to start.
#129 (comp) Jeff Janis WR 6-3 219 4.42 6.64 3 cone fast and quick could play inside or out like jordy
#150 Daniel McCullers NT 6-7 352 huge replacement for Raji and Pickett will certainly occupy 2
#162 (comp) Adrian Hubbard OLB 6-6 257 4.69 big athletic backer with 3-4 experience.
#183 Dri Archer KR/RB/WR 5-8 173 4.26 38 in vertical full time returner to keep Cobb off teams.
#215 Colt Lyerla TE 6-4 242 4.61 7th round gamble on athletic freak to replace Quarless.

In free agency packers:
Resign:
Sign:

Finley has to be medically cleared first, doubt that´s really going to happen. No need to bring Starks back. Jared Allen is too old to spend huge money on him. No thanks on Lyerla, that guy has headache written all over him.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft

In free agency packers:
Resign:
Sign:

As someone who isn't a draft expert outside of the 1st round I don't really have much comment on the draft other than... will Pryor be there at 21? If so, I'd be all over this. I love the idea of the Mammoth of a Man at NT in McCullers but all I know about him is the size you posted. I would love a speed guy like Archer also for the exact reasons you mentioned, I want a real return man. Cobb is too valuable to lose on Special Teams.

Agree with all of your resigns (assuming Fin in cleared) except Starks but I would add Neal to this list.

I don't see Allen as a potential sign, and I'm all for any safety that is competent coming here.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My best case scenario for the offseason involves signing Paul Solilai for four years, even at 6.5 mil a season. He does consistently what Raji never has for us, which is eat blocks and stuff the run. He's not a guy who is infatuated with his draft position or longs for the limelight of a 4-3 DT spot where he can penetrate and make the highlight real on SportsCentre.

It also involves Bulaga getting 100% healthy, and stabilizing the O-Line finally.

In terms of the draft, there are needs all over. I think there has been some interesting banter out there about potential OLB replacements through trades and FA- I don't know what the Dolphins might want for Dion Jordan, but he has the frame and size and speed Perry lacks in space. I don't think Perry is a bad player, but I don't know if he's a playmaker in our scheme.

I would like to see us get a smart, coverage savvy safety. I know everyone wants a thumper, but I want Leroy Butler back there making opposing QB's nervous about the middle of the field rather than some heat seeking missile who can't read the play. It seems like there are some potential finds there in that regard.

DL is an issue, although if Solilai lands for us, that's a big piece addressed. There seem to be some great prospects with the size/length/weight you hope to see in base ends in our scheme. Most people didn't blink when we cut him, but Lawrence Guy is now doing for the Chargers in their base front what all our higher round draft picks can't do for us. Frankly, I'd be fine with trading some of the younger DL talent we have on the roster that are a better fit in a 4-3 for guys who fit what we do- I don't think we're looking at bank breaking cap numbers.

I believe the backbone of your team has to be draft and develop, but we're now on the clock for ARod's prime years. Assuming he'll be great until he's 40 is a mistake. He makes the whole team better, but that defense has to hold its own and put teams on their can, which is something that hasn't happened since our SB win. It's time to leverage trades and some savvy FA signings to capitalize on a window that isn't going to be open forever- this is an offseason that requires a full palette of tools from TT. Whether or not we see it, for me, will determine whether this team treads water or returns to relevance...

Latest posts