Best books to read about the Green Bay Packers?

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I visited Amazon.com yesterday, looking for a book on the Packers to give myself for Christmas. Wow. Hundreds to choose from. Which made me think of two questions: 1) Can some one recommend a book to me? and 2) What books have you read?

I have only read two....Instant Replay and Distant Reply. You really should read both because they seamless tie the Lombardi era to the modern era. To honor me, in 8th grade my son read a Biography Of Lombardi (700-800 pages long) and did a book report on it, and liked it a lot.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Heard about this one, and has great reviews..? I'm picking it up too..

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Life-After-Favre-Season-Packers/dp/1602397732?&camp=212361&creative=383837&linkCode=wss&tag=cheeseheadtv-20]Amazon.com: Life After Favre: A Season of Change with the Green Bay Packers and their Fans (9781602397736): Phil Hanrahan: Books[/ame]

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read Life After Favre and it was amazing! The best Packers book I have read by far. Its not totally about Favre though. Its about what the other players were doing at the time, includes interviews and so forth. The author actually hung out with the players in order to write the book. Give you alot of hope for players like Jordy Nelson. I HIGHLY suggest this book.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thx Mr. StyleZ & A12ROD903

Just got back from Amazon...read the reviews of Life After Favre, just what I was looking for. I already ordered it. :happy0005:

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Diary Of A Green Bay Packer, by Jerry Kramer. An insider's look at the Lombardi era. Some of those cats were pretty wild.

This looks like a duplicate of Kramer's Instant Replay. I wonder how he could improve on that. Thx, I'll check it out. I moved to Green Bay in 1964....and yes they were wild but what ever the reporters knew, they wouldn't print. I know some things that I would never repeat to anybody.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Forgot, I did read another book written by LT Ken Ruettgers in1995. I went to the book signing and I was the last one there and he talked to me for about twenty minutes. It wasn't really a football Book although he is on the cover in his uniform, walking with his son. Title: Home Field Advantage:A Dad's Guide to the Power of Role Modeling. I bought it to read with my sons who 12 & 8 at the time. Recommended for father's with young sons....but it is not a football book.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When pride still mattered is my favorite ftball book. It's amazing.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would suggest reading : Green and Golden Moments Bob Harlan and the Green Bay Packers by Bob Harlan with Dale Hofmann copyright 2007--KCI Sports Publishing- Stevens Point, Wi.

If you wish to know what happpened to the Green Bay Packers, Inc. from 1971 to 2007 from inside of the Green Bay Packers organization- retired Packer President/CEO Bob Harlan will inform you in this book.

In 1971, Bob Harlan was hired by former Packer head Coach and GM Dan Devine to be his Administrative Assistant. In 1989 ,Bob Harlan became Packer president/CEO.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Packers by the Numbers: Jersey Numbers and the Players Who Wore Them, by John Maxymuk. Each chapter is dedicated to a player based on what jersey number they wore.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
When pride still mattered is my favorite ftball book. It's amazing.

I second Ivo's motion.

When Pride Still Mattered is one of my top five recommendations-- not only to sport fans, but to business colleagues and for young adults. Lombardi was far from perfect, especially in his family life, but his drive, passion, and commitment is something that we all can learn valuable lessons from-- and this book hands it to the reader on a silver platter.

If you do decide to read it, grind through the early portion of the book-- trust me, it will be worth it in the end.

OP
OP
GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Packer fans are extremely loyal. I did a search at Amazon on books-subject Green Bay Packers-454 hits. Almost all of them get 4 or 5 star reviews. i read the reviews on Kramer's "Instant Replay"....amazed that anti-Packer reviewers from Chicago and Dallas gave it 5 stars.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David Maraniss' book "When Pride Still Mattered" is terrific, as has been stated here. Another must read is "Vince, A Personal Biography of Vince Lombardi" by Michael O'Brien which might even be better.

You have to read both to get a feel for the greatness of the man.

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I never realized how many Packer books there are lol. Im always in the market for a good Packers book. I will have to check some of these other suggestions out! Great thread.

Deke

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diary Of A Green Bay Packer, by Jerry Kramer. An insider's look at the Lombardi era. Some of those cats were pretty wild.

This looks like a duplicate of Kramer's Instant Replay. I wonder how he could improve on that. Thx, I'll check it out. I moved to Green Bay in 1964....and yes they were wild but what ever the reporters knew, they wouldn't print. I know some things that I would never repeat to anybody.

I am pretty certain that the full title (of the book I read, anyway) is "Instant Replay : Diary of a Green Bay Packer". I read this some 25 years ago and have been a Packer fan ever since. I will definitely check out some of the other titles mentioned too.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Old thread bump!

'That First Season' by Eisenberg.

Halfway through it now. Fascinating take on situation when Vince took over, fan reaction to him taking over, players emotions (Starr in particular is interesting read) it's superb. Really enjoying the read so far. Book is also written in a way to get the emotions out and easily connects to modern fan.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Paper Lion by George Plimpton. That got me interested in football in the first place. It even mentions the Packers :D

Myndflyte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering why no one mentioned Driven by Donald Driver and then I realized the thread was from 2010. Anyway, you should check out that book. It's crazy how such an upstanding guy (I'm assuming from what I've heard about him) had such a hard and troubled childhood.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering why no one mentioned Driven by Donald Driver and then I realized the thread was from 2010. Anyway, you should check out that book. It's crazy how such an upstanding guy (I'm assuming from what I've heard about him) had such a hard and troubled childhood.
I enjoyed Driven but it's a pretty simple book.

Members online

Latest posts