Best Backup in the NFL?

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please hear me out on this.

If it is true that Brett wants to come back and the organization is not happy with the position they are being put in, why don't they make him a back-up. He would be the best back-up ever. His veteran leadership and knowledge of the team would be great to counter our youth.

Realistically, I don't think Favre or the Fans would ever go for this. But technically the team could do it. If they want to keep Favre and start Aaron Rodgers they can.

This obviously is under the assumption that 2008 Rodgers is better than 2008 Favre. I do not know the answer to that question. The best QB should play. Thats how the NFL works. If the Pack thinks it is Rodgers, he should start and have Favre as a back up.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It would be the best for the team, but without some sort of competition for the starters it would be completely disruptive.. even more than it already is..

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it is so ridiculous to think that Brett Favre would come out of retirement to back up anyone.

He retired in his own words because he didnt wanna do the prep stuff. as a backup QB all you do is prep stuff. you prep for the game and then watch someone else do it. If you think Brett Favre is gonna cause all this drama and grief so that he could come sit on the bench... your crazy.

I think at the very first sign of not getting his starting gig back, (aka a QB competition) Favre will stay retired.

OP
OP
R

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Benefits would be:

1. No NFL rivals would get Favre;
2. The QB depth we need;
3. The insurance we need at QB;
4. It would please fans to keep Favre; and
5. It would be a big screw you to Favre in which ulimately could cause him to retire (two can play the same game).

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
The Benefits would be:

1. No NFL rivals would get Favre;
2. The QB depth we need;
3. The insurance we need at QB;
4. It would please fans to keep Favre; and
5. It would be a big screw you to Favre in which ulimately could cause him to retire (two can play the same game).

If Favre gives us our best chance to win in '08, I don't want to say screw you to Favre.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have to believe that sitting wherever he is right now Brett Favre is 100% sure he can play at a higher level than Rodgers or he wouldn't even be considering this move.
I don't believe he's lying to himself either.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
No disagreement there Zombie. In that case do we trade Rodgers?

That's the tough part. I definitely do not want to lose Rodgers either.

NFL_GEEK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
never will happen...i think Farve would rather just stay retired if that was the case...

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes some sense, plus it keeps the NFL happy due to the schedule. If Simms is actually healthy, I like him. Not to start, but in general.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard by Monday but now actual players are being named so maybe the teams are hard at work..

I think the Packers want this to end ASAP and getting trade down now gets them there

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see Favre on the team, but I think it Favre as a backup just wouldn't work. Favre as a starter would give the packers a better chance to win. I dont want A-Rod to sit on the bench too long though.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never really liked Simms either, I think he is overrated and has too many injury problems.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard by Monday but now actual players are being named so maybe the teams are hard at work..

I think the Packers want this to end ASAP and getting trade down now gets them there

Correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't Favre have to formerly notify the league of his intent to play in 2008 before the Packers can tradel him to another team?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Correct me if I am mistaken, but doesn't Favre have to formerly notify the league of his intent to play in 2008 before the Packers can tradel him to another team?

Actually the Packers could trade his rights at any time that he is still under contract.. the team taking the trade would be taking the risk that Brett would play for them.. see the Jake Plummer trade as example A.

Now a trade to the Bucs for Simms makes some since since we would still have someone on the team that has some starting experience.. but him and just a second, IMO is pretty light.. a little bit of a dream return... Gaines Adams.. probably to steep but that would do wonders for our line depth.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts