Best arms ever?

Nobody else on the planet could have made that last throw against the Cardinals. Dan Marino in his p

• Only Those Two

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Someone Else, also (add below)

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The flip side of that is that every team has a QB but some teams Cutler-away their chances year after year. They pay the QB big bucks because of his disproportionate value to his team.

I agree. But then you should take a look at each QB and the teams that surrounded them when they won and take that into account along with who they played instead of simply counting rings.

All I'm saying is there's way more than one metric to use when doing a best QB of all time ranking

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. But then you should take a look at each QB and the teams that surrounded them when they won and take that into account along with who they played instead of simply counting rings.

All I'm saying is there's way more than one metric to use when doing a best QB of all time ranking

That's funny cause I heard the other day on the radio and was shocked... Peyton Manning actually has a higher post-season QBR than Brady. You would think by their W/L records Brady would be ahead by a landslide. But it's not that way at all.

There is so many things that makes a good quarterback that it's really hard to judge. Things like physical attributes, ability to scramble, arm strength, and accuracy. Cognitive attributes like decision making, play recognition, defensive cover schemes, audibles... Then things that just can't be measured, heart, leadership, playing through injuries, work ethic.

I will never forget watching Phillip Rivers play AFC championship game on a torn ACL. Most guys can't get out of bed, need help walking or carted off the field with that type of injury. Yet he played the AFC championship game. One of the craziest things I have ever witnessed. 37 passes for over 200 yards with basically no stability in his left knee.

So all in all it depends which of those values you value the most when putting a list together.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I'd have choices like Clay Matthews or a roided up David Boston or something. most of these guys do not have impressive arms

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's funny cause I heard the other day on the radio and was shocked... Peyton Manning actually has a higher post-season QBR than Brady. You would think by their W/L records Brady would be ahead by a landslide. But it's not that way at all.

There is so many things that makes a good quarterback that it's really hard to judge. Things like physical attributes, ability to scramble, arm strength, and accuracy. Cognitive attributes like decision making, play recognition, defensive cover schemes, audibles... Then things that just can't be measured, heart, leadership, playing through injuries, work ethic.

I will never forget watching Phillip Rivers play AFC championship game on a torn ACL. Most guys can't get out of bed, need help walking or carted off the field with that type of injury. Yet he played the AFC championship game. One of the craziest things I have ever witnessed. 37 passes for over 200 yards with basically no stability in his left knee.

So all in all it depends which of those values you value the most when putting a list together.

I'll admit I thought you were going to try and go against me in this post when read your first sentence

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll admit I thought you were going to try and go against me in this post when read your first sentence

Lol I could see why, but I just wanted to say that "rankings" are in the eye of the person making them. I could say Dan Marino, Tom Brady, Joe Montana... Any of those are the best of all time. And while many would disagree with some of those.

You really can't judge a personal evaluation... Everything means something different to different people. None of those answer are right or wrong. Unless you say J. Russel. Then you are just wrong lol.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the sub-category of strongest armed quarterbacks without a brain, Jeff George wins.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Favre. Being able to throw the ball really far and being mobile aren't that rare in the NFL (it's accuracy, touch and decision making that are rare). When just looking at what QBs could roll out and throw the ball really high and really far, in today's NFL alone you would have Stafford, Flacco, Roethlisberger (he wouldn't roll out, he'd just throw it with dlinemen hanging from him like remoras) and Bortles. Probably Kap and Cutler too.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The flip side of that is that every team has a QB but some teams Cutler-away their chances year after year.
I was going to give my own personal "Funniest post of the day award" to this, and then Half Empty goes and throws this one out in the same thread! :) ...
Went to the Ryan Leaf quarterback training camp?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Favre went to the Jets Boomer E or Phil Simms cant remember which one said....."whenever Favre retires, this year or years down the road, he'll take the best arm in the NFL with him"

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I once watched Bert Jones of the Baltimore Colts (I think) almost win a playoff game virtually by himself. I don't know, just wanted to mention his name.

Reaction score
I remember early in Brett Favres NFL career him throwing a ball 84 yards in the air. It wasn't a live game though and may have been the combine if my memory serves me? I also remember him being compared to Dan Marino at 72 yards that year but I'm not sure if that was "old Marino" or Marinos combine or what.
Game time throws are much harder because you've thrown 30+ times before the "Hail Mary" and under attack an all.
Brett could've made those throws at 32 years old 100% guaranteed.. Except the other team would've had an INT. Lol

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember early in Brett Favres NFL career him throwing a ball 84 yards in the air. It wasn't a live game though and may have been the combine if my memory serves me? I also remember him being compared to Dan Marino at 72 yards that year but I'm not sure if that was "old Marino" or Marinos combine or what.
Game time throws are much harder because you've thrown 30+ times before the "Hail Mary" and under attack an all.
Brett could've made those throws at 32 years old 100% guaranteed.. Except the other team would've had an INT. Lol
There were people that could always throw it farther than Dan Marino. It's his mechanics that made him Legend without ever winning a Super Bowl. Just ask Joe Montana, Bill Walsh, Peyton Manning, Bill Parcells and a long list of other NFL people who the GOAT is. They will all say Dan Marino. Because ya know. He was. lol

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron threw coming out of college in a skills challenge. I think it was about 72-73 yards(see it on youtube).

90 yards in distance is quite a stretch, considering a ball must fly up vertically in order to cover distance. Just because you can throw 90 yards combined in height and distance. Doesn't mean he could ever throw a ball 90 yards in pure distance.

He got better. A lot better actually.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Let's watch that throw ONE MORE TIME. If this is not the best throw in NFL history, I want to see a better one, right now. LOL

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This is the greatest game I've ever seen in my life. I was there with my father, as always. I have the Sports Illustrated issue after that game with Dan the Man on the cover in plastic right now.

I found out after the game that Don Shula told Marino to throw it over the middle to Keith Jacksonon on 4th and 5 to get the first down to keep the drive alive. Well, here's what happened... Dan Marino saw that Irving Fryar was in 1-on-1 bump-and-run coverage and Marino gave Fryar a "Secret Signal" telling him, it is happening RIGHT NOW. And that's what happened.

Also, I was at Marino's last game in the Dawg Pound in Cleveland when he blew his achilles and said that he looked in the stands because he thought somebody shot him. That's what it felt like to him and he believed that is what happened. lol

Last edited:

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It takes BIG BALLS to audible in that situation. If he doesn't make that throw, GAME OVER.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, Marino had a real rough presason, and there were FANS saying he was washed up and we need to replace him (sound falimiar? LOL).

473 yards and 5 TD passes. I think he had a little game left in him don't ya think? ;)

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to believe no one here has mentioned Bradshaw. Dude threw a ball so hard in practice it literally ripped his receivers hand in half. He never played football again after that.

Last edited:

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice Marino's reaction after that throw. Been there done that. That's how Don Shula's teams rolled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts