Best arms ever?

Nobody else on the planet could have made that last throw against the Cardinals. Dan Marino in his p

• Only Those Two

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Someone Else, also (add below)

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new poster opined that "Nobody else on the planet could have made that last throw against the Cardinals. Dan Marino in his prime is the only other. Does anybody want to debate that?" I countered that I assume there would lots of other candidates. Tried to make this a poll but am having trouble. Also see similar thread, but none more recent than a few years. So, just add a post and either agree with him or name someone else you feel could have done it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing there are many who could've made that throw, but there's obviously more to being an NFL QB than having a big arm. Here's Jamarcus, who didn't quite have the same affect on the NFL as AR ;) I don't mean to pile-on the poster, just remember that every couple of years there's a youtube video of some guy on his knees at the 20 throwing into the endzone or other ridiculousness.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a reply from him on the question of if Rodgers and Marino are also the two best QBs. Stay tuned.

Dr.Jackanapes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Boller could've made that throw. He was a garbage QB, and he probably would've chosen to throw it straight to a defensive lineman instead, but dude kneeled at the 50 and threw a ball through the goalposts during his pro day.

The ability to make that throw is purely physical. Add Matthew Stafford, John Elway, Cam Newton, Jay Cutler, and Jeff George to the list as well.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how far Rodgers can throw the ball. On the Lions hail mary, it was almost 70 yards in the air, but he threw it really high. I bet if he was going for distance, it could have been maybe 90 yards.

On the 4th and 20, that ball was 60 yards in the air, and it looked like he just flicked his wrist.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget Uncle Rico. "How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"
"Back in '82, I used to be able to toss a pigskin a quarter of a mile."..."Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This one was fun to watch. Although I think instant reply would have reversed #3 and *gulp* failed to with #2....enough said about #2.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sky King

Reaction score
There is a tale of Ray Nitschke allegedly having heaved the ball 90+ yards at a practice back in the day. I read about this many, many years ago. Urban legend or truth? That would probably make an interesting question for the Packers Historian to research someday.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he meant under the circumstances, under that kind of pressure. Either way, the answer is yes, other QBs could have made that throw, but he's got the best arm I've ever seen on a guy who is also a top notch QB in almost every other regard.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There is a tale of Ray Nitschke allegedly having heaved the ball 90+ yards at a practice back in the day. I read about this many, many years ago. Urban legend or truth? That would probably make an interesting question for the Packers Historian to research someday.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/03/09/sports/ray-nitschke-61-linebacker-during-packers-glory-years.html

Starr once said that Nitschke was strong enough ''to throw a ball 100 yards at times, and 80 yards like it was nothing.''

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre was the type of player with both the mentality and arm to make that throw in his prime. Case in point is the 1993 playoff win over the Lions:
On second-and-5 from Detroit's 40, Holmgren called a safe double square out trying to pick up the first down and get out of bounds. But after dropping back, Favre bolted the pocket to his left despite not facing any pressure. When he got outside the hash mark, he turned, wheeled and threw a bomb against his body and across the field to Sharpe, who caught the ball in the back right corner of the end zone for the game-winning score.

The ball traveled probably 70 yards in the air.

"His feet could be completely wrong," Reid said, "his arm could be at the most bizarre angles, and he could still throw it far and he could still throw it accurately. That was the epitome of that. Not many people can chuck that ball that far going the opposite direction."
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp.../15/brett-favre-six-signature-plays/30139465/

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre, Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford, Kelly, Rypien, Jurgensen, McNair, Cunningham, Fouts, Simms, Roethlisberger, Culpepper, I could go on..

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he meant under the circumstances, under that kind of pressure. Either way, the answer is yes, other QBs could have made that throw, but he's got the best arm I've ever seen on a guy who is also a top notch QB in almost every other regard.
Only meant under ALL of those circumstances.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Boller could've made that throw. He was a garbage QB, and he probably would've chosen to throw it straight to a defensive lineman instead, but dude kneeled at the 50 and threw a ball through the goalposts during his pro day.

The ability to make that throw is purely physical. Add Matthew Stafford, John Elway, Cam Newton, Jay Cutler, and Jeff George to the list as well.

Except ya know, Aaron Rodgers did it when it mattered most.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm waiting for a reply from him on the question of if Rodgers and Marino are also the two best QBs. Stay tuned.

I'd say others also but the claim that they're 1-2 isn't "that" far fetched. You could find a number of fans, Packers fans at least, that could/would argue for Rodgers to be up there and even though he never won a SB it's not that far of a stretch to say Marino is the best pure passer ever and one of the top QBs ever.

Whether anyone personally ranks it like that is another thing as you can make good arguments for a multitude of other QBs as well

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how far Rodgers can throw the ball. On the Lions hail mary, it was almost 70 yards in the air, but he threw it really high. I bet if he was going for distance, it could have been maybe 90 yards.

On the 4th and 20, that ball was 60 yards in the air, and it looked like he just flicked his wrist.
28 YARDS high as a matter of fact. Due to math that throw alone was over 90 yards. I think he had more in him if he NEEDED it.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
28 YARDS high as a matter of fact. Due to math that throw alone was over 90 yards. I think he had more in him if he NEEDED it.

Aaron threw coming out of college in a skills challenge. I think it was about 72-73 yards(see it on youtube).

90 yards in distance is quite a stretch, considering a ball must fly up vertically in order to cover distance. Just because you can throw 90 yards combined in height and distance. Doesn't mean he could ever throw a ball 90 yards in pure distance.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top echelon of QBs: Starr, Graham, Montana. Then everyone else, many of whom had stronger arms. I'll take the championships, though.

Not a bad list. In a sport like football though I still would say championships hold way to much pull when rating a QB. Championships are a team acomplishment so I don't really believe in using those as a huge deciding factor in evaluating the top guys.

Sky King

Reaction score
Not a bad list. In a sport like football though I still would say championships hold way to much pull when rating a QB. Championships are a team acomplishment so I don't really believe in using those as a huge deciding factor in evaluating the top guys.
The flip side of that is that every team has a QB but some teams Cutler-away their chances year after year. They pay the QB big bucks because of his disproportionate value to his team.

Members online

Latest posts