4. CB Eric Stokes, 76.8
5. OLB Preston Smith, 75.7

Defense Worst 5:
1. CB Rasul Douglas, 52.1
2. DL Dean Lowry, 55.0
3. DL Kenny Clark, 58.3
4. OLB Jonathan Garvin, 59.0
5. S Henry Black, 63.1

My observations or takeaways. Again the Defense had an insanely good game. The fact that your worst 5 are above 50 (one above 60) is so incredible I would bet a team with that type of performance will win nearly every time if not every time.

Lowry played excellent against the pass but his grading dipped below 60 because he struggled a few times against the run - still like how Lowry has been playing. Clark similar to Lowry was hurt because of how hard PFF grades for missed tackles - he landed just under 60 mainly due that despite his team high 8 pressures (7 hurries).

Stokes has outperformed every expectation relative to what most thought he was (even those of us that thought he wouldn't still be available where we drafted) and vs where he was picked in the draft. The kid just balls out on gameday - plain and simple. Kevin King is also having an incredibly solid second half of our first 10 games. If Jaire returns, I will go on record this CB room may be playing as deep as any we have ever seen in Green Bay (Jaire, Stokes, King, Rasul and Sully as the main five).

Nothing surprising about the five offensive worst....VERY nice to see three lineman hit our Best 5 - typically a very good sign.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always here they are (PFF Grading):

Offense Best 5:
1. RB A.J. Dillon, 83.3
2. RG Royce Newman, 76.8
3. RT Billy Turner, 72.5
4. LT Elgton Jenkins, 70.3
5. WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 61.4

Offense Worst 5:
1. WR Allen Lazard, 46.4
2. QB Aaron Rodgers, 47.3
3. TE Tyler Davis, 48.3
4. TE Josiah Deguara, 49.6
5. RB Aaron Jones, 50.3

Defense Best 5:
1. S Adrian Amos, 92.5
2. CB Kevin King, 91.9
3. OLB Rashan Gary, 79.1
4. CB Eric Stokes, 76.8

Defense Worst 5:
2. DL Dean Lowry, 55.0
3. DL Kenny Clark, 58.3
5. S Henry Black, 63.1

My observations or takeaways. Again the Defense had an insanely good game. The fact that your worst 5 are above 50 (one above 60) is so incredible I would bet a team with that type of performance will win nearly every time if not every time.

Lowry played excellent against the pass but his grading dipped below 60 because he struggled a few times against the run - still like how Lowry has been playing. Clark similar to Lowry was hurt because of how hard PFF grades for missed tackles - he landed just under 60 mainly due that despite his team high 8 pressures (7 hurries).

Stokes has outperformed every expectation relative to what most thought he was (even those of us that thought he wouldn't still be available where we drafted) and vs where he was picked in the draft. The kid just balls out on gameday - plain and simple. Kevin King is also having an incredibly solid second half of our first 10 games. If Jaire returns, I will go on record this CB room may be playing as deep as any we have ever seen in Green Bay (Jaire, Stokes, King, Rasul and Sully as the main five).

Nothing surprising about the five offensive worst....VERY nice to see three lineman hit our Best 5 - typically a very good sign.
Your observations about how well Lowry and Clark played is very true. Add to that the fact that the defensive line's play is to absorb blockers on the run, to allow the linebackers to make those tackles. There's a reason inside linebackers in our system are at the top, or near the top in tackles every week, and season. With the double teams on those two, even when they do get a shot at a tackle, it's rarely one that allows them to put a shoulder into the ball carrier, usually nothing more than an attempted arm tackle.

It bothers me that our TEs don't seem to get the idea that the primary reason the majority of them are on the team is to throw blocks that keep defenders off our QB, turn an edge on outside runs, and to throw blocks on plays like screens, to give RBs and WRs an opportunity to get YAC on screens, and short outs. Lewis is the only one who understands that philosophy, now that Tonyan is out.

Excellent evaluations. Thank you!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your observations about how well Lowry and Clark played is very true. Add to that the fact that the defensive line's play is to absorb blockers on the run, to allow the linebackers to make those tackles. There's a reason inside linebackers in our system are at the top, or near the top in tackles every week, and season. With the double teams on those two, even when they do get a shot at a tackle, it's rarely one that allows them to put a shoulder into the ball carrier, usually nothing more than an attempted arm tackle.

It bothers me that our TEs don't seem to get the idea that the primary reason the majority of them are on the team is to throw blocks that keep defenders off our QB, turn an edge on outside runs, and to throw blocks on plays like screens, to give RBs and WRs an opportunity to get YAC on screens, and short outs. Lewis is the only one who understands that philosophy, now that Tonyan is out.

Excellent evaluations. Thank you!

To be fair, Tonyan didn't always excel at blocking assignments either. Lewis is the main TE whose sole responsibility is blocking in our system, however - Deguara has been failing at his blocking assignments more than normal for him - most recognized his blocking chops out of Cinci, yet he has failed to be close to what he seemed to be last year before that injury. Our TE room is trying frantically to find identity of filling the Tonyan vacancy, and to be fair we don't have a guy that is that role/type IMO.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice analysis.

This was Amos's best game as a Packer, perhaps Stokes's as well.

Deguara is still a waste of a roster spot/draft pick.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, Tonyan didn't always excel at blocking assignments either. Lewis is the main TE whose sole responsibility is blocking in our system, however - Deguara has been failing at his blocking assignments more than normal for him - most recognized his blocking chops out of Cinci, yet he has failed to be close to what he seemed to be last year before that injury. Our TE room is trying frantically to find identity of filling the Tonyan vacancy, and to be fair we don't have a guy that is that role/type IMO.
Agreed on Tonyan. I don't see anyone on the roster who can fill that role either. It would be a great opportunity for someone to step up and put themselves in line with a good paycheck. Agreed on Deguara. But, I'll give him until next year to come around. It will be his third year. You know how that veteran player thing works. Two years trying to figure out what's going on, then getting it and applying it in year 3. At this point, the guys he wants to block are running away or over from him because they're faster and stronger than the average competition in college.

His learning curve kind of reminds me of the curve Gary has had at playing the outside edge. He jumped several steps between year 2 and 3. It's like someone sprinkles fairy dust on these guys and the lights come on! ;)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice analysis.

This was Amos's best game as a Packer.

Deguara is still a waste of a roster spot/draft pick.
I think you're jumping the gun on this one. I'd wait until we break camp next fall and see if he's still there.
EDIT: I'm referring to Deguara. I like the way Amos plays centerfield.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but what does he honestly do well?
Not too much I'm afraid. I always remember how Lombardi said a guy needed to learn from the bench for two years before playing. He stuck to that as much as possible. As time went on, I began to see how that works, even with QBs. Those that get a couple of years on the pines seem to be much better when they get serious playing time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're jumping the gun on this one. I'd wait until we break camp next fall and see if he's still there.
EDIT: I'm referring to Deguara. I like the way Amos plays centerfield.
I'm with you on Deguara. A year on the bench helps a QB learn. A year on the bench at TE is just time lost adjusting to the game. Now he is learning what he needs to do. We will see if he uses it as inspiration to get stronger, smarter, faster, and more intense. He's barely had a year of playing time so he gets a pass. However, he has not impressed so far but that doesn't mean that he can't and won't.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're right, but what does he honestly do well?

Deguara is an exceptional receiver out of his role. Many don't know it but he had better career than Kelce and Celek at Cinci:

Averaged almost 13 yards per catch (12.9) and became only the second tight end in UC history to eclipse 1,000-yards receiving for his career (1,117) along with Brent Celek (1,135).
His 92 career receptions is the most in school history for a tight end and he’s just the second tight end in school history with 500 or more yards receiving in a season, along with Travis Kelce who tallied 722 yards in 2012.

His willingness to block is there, and Rodgers and staff sees it in him. He is still a guy that had a Covid weird rookie year compounded by injury...this is essentially his rookie year and Tonyan is now gone - his snap count is going to expand due to that. He is having growing pains for sure, but watch him specifically and you'll see a player with the skills, he just has to put it together now.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara is an exceptional receiver out of his role. Many don't know it but he had better career than Kelce and Celek at Cinci:

Averaged almost 13 yards per catch (12.9) and became only the second tight end in UC history to eclipse 1,000-yards receiving for his career (1,117) along with Brent Celek (1,135).
His 92 career receptions is the most in school history for a tight end and he’s just the second tight end in school history with 500 or more yards receiving in a season, along with Travis Kelce who tallied 722 yards in 2012.

His willingness to block is there, and Rodgers and staff sees it in him. He is still a guy that had a Covid weird rookie year compounded by injury...this is essentially his rookie year and Tonyan is now gone - his snap count is going to expand due to that. He is having growing pains for sure, but watch him specifically and you'll see a player with the skills, he just has to put it together now.
We'll know by next fall if he's ready to move ahead. If I was to say which way it will go, I can't. What I can say is that I see potential in Deguara. More potential than I honestly saw in Tonyan at the start, for what it's worth.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll know by next fall if he's ready to move ahead. If I was to say which way it will go, I can't. What I can say is that I see potential in Deguara. More potential than I honestly saw in Tonyan at the start, for what it's worth.

Agreed. I never after first couple years saw what Tonyan slowly grew into. Josiah really could have used less a sink or swim moment I believe but this test will hopefully be a good experience and forced growth and not a sink moment.

I am fifty fifty and uncomfortable saying he will fail or succeed and believe anyone claiming either would do so without much support beyond pure speculation.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised that three OL were in the top five. While the pass protection was decent, the run blocking was abysmal. It seemed that a majority of the yards gained were after contact. Newman had a high grade, but I still expect him to be the odd man out when Bak returns.

Reaction score
As always here they are (PFF Grading):

Offense Best 5:
1. RB A.J. Dillon, 83.3
2. RG Royce Newman, 76.8
3. RT Billy Turner, 72.5
4. LT Elgton Jenkins, 70.3
5. WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, 61.4

Offense Worst 5:
1. WR Allen Lazard, 46.4
2. QB Aaron Rodgers, 47.3
3. TE Tyler Davis, 48.3
4. TE Josiah Deguara, 49.6
5. RB Aaron Jones, 50.3

Defense Best 5:
1. S Adrian Amos, 92.5
2. CB Kevin King, 91.9
3. OLB Rashan Gary, 79.1
4. CB Eric Stokes, 76.8

Defense Worst 5:
2. DL Dean Lowry, 55.0
3. DL Kenny Clark, 58.3
5. S Henry Black, 63.1

Just an observation from last few weeks. I realize he’s not on either list.
While Sullivan gets a flag thrown occasionally and it hurts us, he makes up for that with very aggressive and plays with attitude. Penalty aside, he just flustered the Seattle wide receivers and kept them off balance or out of rhythm. Big picture he’s not a super CB, but yet holding his own in aggressive play, much of it is the Refs letting them play unless it’s egregious interference.

Each Ref group is different. I think it’s smart to play aggressive against opponent WR until the flags start coming. Then back off.
I Don’t like our DB’s being too soft in games where the Refs are letting the guys play (in the past seasons)
It’s a delicate balance.

I also noticed in the playoffs they don’t throw as many petty flags

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I personally don't think they are as "frantic" as you stated. I think Deguara and Davis are in the developmental stage of their careers. Patience is required.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was surprised that three OL were in the top five. While the pass protection was decent, the run blocking was abysmal. It seemed that a majority of the yards gained were after contact. Newman had a high grade, but I still expect him to be the odd man out when Bak returns.
Was glad to see Newman grade out well. He's been going through a rough stretch.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just an observation from last few weeks. I realize he’s not on either list.
While Sullivan gets a flag thrown occasionally and it hurts us, he makes up for that with very aggressive and plays with attitude. Penalty aside, he just flustered the Seattle wide receivers and kept them off balance or out of rhythm. Big picture he’s not a super CB, but yet holding his own in aggressive play, much of it is the Refs letting them play unless it’s egregious interference.

Each Ref group is different. I think it’s smart to play aggressive against opponent WR until the flags start coming. Then back off.
I Don’t like our DB’s being too soft in games where the Refs are letting the guys play (in the past seasons)
It’s a delicate balance.

I also noticed in the playoffs they don’t throw as many petty flags

Sully is the perfect three or four for a team to have. Perfect

Reaction score
Decent nickel or dime back. Not afraid to hit people.
Sully seems to be a good tackler and likes to throw people down. He rarely uses that shoulder tackle thing I absolutely can’t stand. I’m not sure who’s getting who all riled up?
But Black, Rasul, Sully.. they were all trash talking and slinging WR’s around. I liked the aggressive approach. Also both Rasul and Sully are above average at ball tracking and playing the odds.

Again, it’s not a commendation award. None of them are near as good as Jaire. But together they seem to feed like a school of hungry sharks

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, it’s not a commendation award. None of them are near as good as Jaire. But together they seem to feed like a school of hungry sharks

This group is reminding me of a pack of wolves - together they are insanely formidable for any foe...they would lose individually but this Pack (double entendre intended) together in battle is impressive.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with Deguara needing some time to develop into a decent tight end at the pro level. Him obviously not having a clue about his assignment on too many snaps is unacceptable though.

The Packers running backs combined to gain only an average of 1.4 yards before contact against the Seahawks.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with Deguara needing some time to develop into a decent tight end at the pro level. Him obviously not having a clue about his assignment on too many snaps is unacceptable though.

The Packers running backs combined to gain only an average of 1.4 yards before contact against the Seahawks.
Ouch! That says there weren't any real holes opened up by our line. That won't fly against a team with a solid D-line.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
blasphemy that rodgers was picked on.. How dare they agree with some that he didnt play well

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ouch! That says there weren't any real holes opened up by our line. That won't fly against a team with a solid D-line.
Seemed to me the Seahawks goal was to stop the run. They had a lot of single coverage and stacked the box. I'm not ready to say the run blocking was bad.

Members online

Latest posts