Bentley, Shaffer gone!!!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns have signed center LeCharles Bentley of New Orleans, the top-ranked player overall in ESPN.com's ratings of unrestricted free agents. The team also reached an agreement in principle with Atlanta Falcons left offensive tackle Kevin Shaffer, ESPN.com's 26th-rated free agent..............

Two less linemen available, players being signed all over, what's up with TT?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why would TT sign a high priced Tackle...when we have tackles? and a center for that matter..

GUARDS, BOY, GUARDS! Guards is what we need.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Bentley was a G/C so he would of played as a guard, but he got an assload of money and the Packers seem to be taking the less known but still good players route. It would be kind of nice if they got a big name impact player, but it's hard to tell.

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell, you have said it yourself Trom, Flannagan is to old and Wells is a better guard, so you are saying if a guy isn't listed as a guard we should ignore them?
We have 30 million dollars to spend, let's get some help on the O-line, we have guys that can play multiple positions, is this going to be another year like last where we bring in a couple of 2nd tier guards, then expect them to perform as good as the two guys that left?

It all starts with the O-line, without a good one the rest of your offense suffers.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flanagan, when healthy, is obviously very good. I do feel age\injuries is catching up with him, but im the negative type. i hope he proves me wrong.

wells..I like wells. Hes the Kampman of the offensive line. not really great, but heart and grit. He can play center fine(has done so the last two years in stretches) but I DO feel he is better at LG.

But if TT signs 2 guards, which i want him to do, that leaves wells hunkering down center with flanagan.

(Healthy) Flanagan + Wells = A good situation at Center.

Its not worth it to throw a ton of money at a guy where we have 2 guys at that spot.

And Bentley is G\C ? Which one has he played the last couple of years? IM serious, I dont know. I think center, since hes listed as such. Which tells me hes probably an A+ Center and a B Guard(at most)

with other FAs, 30 mil to spend, and high draft picks...lets not break the bank on guys so early.

edit - we also have javon to trade now! javon for a good lineman!

i agree, it starts with the line, and im sure TT is looking for things. If you think hes not (Or any gm in this situation) ...then ur crazy!

OP
OP
B

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flanagan isn't even signed, Wells at best is a back-up center, hey but if that is good enough for you, I'll go with it. I'm not saying break the bank but all we have done is sign Kampman, we go into training camp with the o-line we have right now it is not going to be good enough.

Oh and by the way, I was not the one ripping the O-line last year when they weren't opening up holes for our running backs.

I love the way you talk out of both sides of your mouth so you are never completely wrong.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
why would TT sign a high priced Tackle...when we have tackles? and a center for that matter..

NO NO GUARDS!! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PUSH BRETT INTO RETIREMENT WITH TT? omg wake up!! we need water boys!!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
F@ck TT get your *** out of that nice comfortable leather chair in your climate contralled office and DO YOUR F@cking Job I am beggining to think that you are a Bear or Queen fan !!!! Damn you TT get something FAST..

Ohhh maybe you like 4-12 seasons, WE PACKER FANS don´t !!!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
F@ck TT get your *** out of that nice comfortable leather chair in your climate contralled office and DO YOUR F@cking Job I am beggining to think that you are a Bear or Queen fan !!!! Damn you TT get something FAST..

Ohhh maybe you like 4-12 seasons, WE PACKER FANS don´t !!!!!

wow...talk about out of line. and not because i am a supporter of the GB front office, but im opposed to stupidity. free agency isnt a one day thing, folks. do you want to spend 12 mil on a center? cuz we have two. how about 10 mil on a tackle, cuz we have two..

think it through.

TT signed a safety who is better than roman, next to collins. its not much of an upgrade, but its an upgrade.

if think hes not going after offensive linemen, you are indeed a very stupid person.

Reaction score
Honestly Trom, not to go agianst your point, but it should be pointed out that if Roman beat Manuel for a starting job, can Manuel really be better than him?

I hope Manuel has improved with time.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Honestly Trom, not to go agianst your point, but it should be pointed out that if Roman beat Manuel for a starting job, can Manuel really be better than him?

By that theory Chris Miller is better than Brett Favre right?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

well from what i read, lewis buried and didnt like manuel for whatever reason when he arrived. i dont know if it was his skills or what...but the kid got buried...then he rebounded in seattle and is respected by a lot of people who i would think would hate him (holmgren one of them. look at the kids numbers and then look at holmgrens comments...i was amazed)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
I'm not saying break the bank but all we have done is sign Kampman, we go into training camp with the o-line we have right now it is not going to be good enough.

I love the way you talk out of both sides of your mouth so you are never completely wrong.

1. You cant honestly believe the offensive line we have now is the planned starting line for opening day...come on now, man. ill tell you what. If this is the lineup we start with that day, ill be your butler (like that seinfeld episode), ok?

2. I dont talk out of both sides of my mouth. Im wrong (a lot, probably), I just think wells doesnt get the credit for the job he's done the last 2 years.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
tromadz said:

NO NO GUARDS!! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PUSH BRETT INTO RETIREMENT WITH TT? omg wake up!! we need water boys!!

Agreed, here --- And, since when do we have STARTING Centers just layin' around at Lambeau? If that was the case, Flanny wouldn't have had to come back so early off his surgery... that's a croc posting, there....

I've looked over the current listing of who's available, across the board and I figure if they can play TACKLE, then playing GUARD can't be that much different - you're there to protect the QB's blind side, period! Some are just better with their feet for one of the two positions, over the other. You still have to stop DE's from gettin' around the corner, or up thru the middle, like always....

It wouldn't be the first time any Team has requested a player at one position go switch over to the other spot. So, yeah... I'd be looking at both types of players...

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've looked over the current listing of who's available, across the board and I figure if they can play TACKLE, then playing GUARD can't be that much different

Paying a guy tackle money and moving him to guard is just bad management of money, since tackles in general are paid a lot more.

btw, how did Klemm adjust moving from tackle to guard last year :wink:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
I've looked over the current listing of who's available, across the board and I figure if they can play TACKLE, then playing GUARD can't be that much different

Paying a guy tackle money and moving him to guard is just bad management of money, since tackles in general are paid a lot more.

btw, how did Klemm adjust moving from tackle to guard last year :wink:

I see the point, but since we're yakkin' dollars here all of a sudden - how much did we pay him out the gate? On top of that, Klemm didn't work out pretty much anywhere they tried him either - sorta blows the example....

Let's measure this a different way -

• Chad Clifton got how much?
    Mike Wahle was due to get how much?
Not sure I agree with the general assessment... If Guards are paid alot less, then we should have been able to keep Wahle without much argument.

Members online

Latest posts