Beniquez Brown...thoughts?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I've come and went and then come back to him from time to time. Curious what others think of the Mississippi State prospect?

Many analysts have him rated to go in the 3rd-5th with more high end bias than low end (5th).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I've come and went and then come back to him from time to time. Curious what others think of the Mississippi State prospect?

Many analysts have him rated to go in the 3rd-5th with more high end bias than low end (5th).
He was in my mock. He is still one of my 20 in the draft contest.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hear the Pack has interest and the tape I've seen looks good. I'm not sure about TT's strategy but think that unless Lee drops to us at #27, I think we go DT or OT in Rd 1. Beniquez will be an option in rounds 3-5 where I see us getting our LB's. I think he fits in with guys like Schobert, Vigil and Martinez and a few others. They all seem a lot alike. Instinct guys who know how to play in spite of a shortcominghere or there.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hear the Pack has interest and the tape I've seen looks good. I'm not sure about TT's strategy but think that unless Lee drops to us at #27, I think we go DT or OT in Rd 1. Beniquez will be an option in rounds 3-5 where I see us getting our LB's. I think he fits in with guys like Schobert, Vigil and Martinez and a few others. They all seem a lot alike. Instinct guys who know how to play in spite of a shortcominghere or there.

After taking a closer look at Darron Lee's tape I hope the Packers will pass on him. Blake Martinez is most likely the best prospect of the ones you mentioned but if Thompson selects him hopefully not the only upgrade at the position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After taking a closer look at Darron Lee's tape I hope the Packers will pass on him. Blake Martinez is most likely the best prospect of the ones you mentioned but if Thompson selects him hopefully not the only upgrade at the position.

Blake Martinez intrigues me as well...I see him and Brown both going around similar times depending on way draft plays out.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we take less than 2 LB's this draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Blake Martinez intrigues me as well...I see him and Brown both going around similar times depending on way draft plays out.

I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about Brown but have seen some draft sites thinking he will go undrafted.

I'd agree...honestly, if right player drops don't be shocked if we add a 3rd or bring in another in UDFA as well.

I fully expect some undrafted free agents to be added at the position but hardly count on any of them making an impact next season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about Brown but have seen some draft sites thinking he will go undrafted.

If he goes undrafted....I WILL BE SHOCKED! If he does we had better pick up this kid ASAP. However, man if more folks think that way I say better for us, because word is TT and company have him on our board, just what round he sees him worth it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Further review seems most have him pegged as a 3rd day selection...I'm on the record as saying right now definitely worth that if there I think.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just want it said....I've kept watching and reading on this guy.....whether he comes here or not, I think he's gonna stick on a roster somewhere.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we picked him up as a UDFA. We shall see how he does. Quite a range of views from the various outlets.

Walters had him the #2 ILB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well we picked him up as a UDFA. We shall see how he does. Quite a range of views from the various outlets.

Walters had him the #2 ILB.

Yup saw that. I think for an UDFA you can't ask for more. Raw? Sure. Skilled? Yes. Capable? We will see.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to think this on Walters must have missed on........every team passed. I hope he turns out to be the second best.
True. I always figure websites just look at tape and measureables. When a player drops its from interview/persinality or health issues that only the teams would know. Players can heal or mature, but improving athletically is difficult. I like taking chances on these guys especially as UDFAs.

D

Deleted member 6794

True. I always figure websites just look at tape and measureables. When a player drops its from interview/persinality or health issues that only the teams would know. Players can heal or mature, but improving athletically is difficult. I like taking chances on these guys especially as UDFAs.

Well, PFF had Beniquez Brown not rated as one of the top 250 players in this year's draft. Of course those sites don't have access to as much information as teams do and sometimes differ completely in evaluating prospects. But that happens with teams and scouts as well.

H

HardRightEdge

He ran a 4.69 at his pro day, but that looks like straight line speed. His zone drop back pedal looks pretty fluid. However, his lateral agility, balance and fluidity look poor to me. For a smaller ILB at 6'1" / 229 lbs. / 18 lifts, you'd want to see better field athleticism.

Here's a game tape:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The thing that jumps out at me in this tape is the way he uses his arms like outriggers to keep balance in change of direction, sometimes flailing, while chopping steps. I'd say he's compensating for a narrow base which causes balance issues, but it's hard to isolate one thing in a guy's overall body mechanics. This does not look like a technique issue so much as one element in a whole.

He shows quick hands to compensate somewhat in getting off blocks, but he's throwing his punch from the outside when not going strictly north/south, so he often doesn't get much oomph behind it. Other times he's late with his hands with that long travel and just gets taken out. He looks like a smart player; he seems to have good play anticipation.

Given his good straight line speed for a 230 lb. guy, I could see him on kick coverage.

Unless they plan on moving McCray inside, the #4 ILB spot is wide open.

The only other ILB added so far is UDFA Manoa Pikula...6'1", 234 lbs., 4.57, 24 lifts, 7.06 3-cone (unimpressive but similar to Beniquez). You see a couple of missed ankle tackles in the following tape, but I like the way he worked off a couple of blocks with a quick spin, and the 40 time looks be there on the field. He's not reluctant to stick his nose in it, but on balance he doesn't show a lot of physicality . He looks like a more natural football player athletically than Beniquez. This may be some better raw material to work with. I await the preseason games.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been a fan of Brown, but I was excited to see Pikula nabbed. I figured both would get drafted late in 6th/7th rounds. I think you are spot on Pikula, raw skills but the talent appears to be there just needs worked some. He's got a touch better fluidity in his hips at times than what Brown does. Expect one of these to be a PS for 2016 and compete for a 2017 roster spot depending on FA next year and draft.

Reaction score
While I know those are just one game of each of those players and a small sample I'm sure of their entire body of work those tapes were very convincing of a better instinctual, motor, all around athleticism for Pikula. I haven't searched really into either but this guy could be a pleasant surprise. He seemed to be more natural in coverage. To even make the sample smaller lol on one play for each. Brown the one where he stands in the middle and no one is around him and the running back is running wide open in the flat as the qb rolls to that side. He should roll or adapt I would think. Then Pikula obviously knocking down the ball in the middle of the field and then on another play he is kinda doing the same thing as brown but realizes it at the last second and starts towards the open reciever. From those plays I think it shows the instincts we need for that coverage linebacker albeit in a small sample.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have been a fan of Brown, but I was excited to see Pikula nabbed. I figured both would get drafted late in 6th/7th rounds. I think you are spot on Pikula, raw skills but the talent appears to be there just needs worked some. He's got a touch better fluidity in his hips at times than what Brown does. Expect one of these to be a PS for 2016 and compete for a 2017 roster spot depending on FA next year and draft.

Currently Thomas and Bradford are fourth and fifth on the depth chart at the position. If both Brown and Pikula show at least some promise during the preseason it would come as no surprise if both of them make the team.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him. Unlike Martinez, I saw him get in the backfield. Could be because he was going against a pro style offense, but he looked good.

One thing I am not fond of is his motor. There were a few plays where he was very lackadaisical. They mainly came when he felt there wasn't a chance of him getting to the QB or ball carrier, but I like a guy who tries anyway. He and Chris Jones shut down Arkansas's very potent run game.

Members online

Latest posts