Bend but don't break approach

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Man, I've got two mods stalking me.:sneaky: Shoulding you guys be, like, lurking around corners in trench coats?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, this Packers defense is totally reliant on getting turnovers since they can't get off the field on 3rd downs, and they hardly ever force punts. Which is a recipe for disaster against half way competent offenses - even more so in the playoffs (where the D unsurprisingly gives up an average of 35ppg in our losses)

True, the Packers are only 24th in opponents third down conversion percentage at 41.2% and even worse on fourth down having allowed teams to convert 12 of 18 attempts.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-punt-attempts-per-game

According to this we're bottom 5 overall and worst in the NFL on the road.

Not sure if your stat is just returns and not fair catches or what.

The Packers defense is terrible in forcing opponents to punts ranking only 29th in punts per drive.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Stalking, like blackmail is such a dirty word. :whistling:

Oh sure... bring up the pictures of me and Christie Brinkley again. Some things are just bound to haunt a man for the rest of his life. :rolleyes:

My gawd herself, this thread is loaded with stats. Stats are OK for some folks I guess. I'm more of an "eye test" kind of fan. Very likely is the reason that I sooooo despise what's known as "garbage time" and the "prevent defense".

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Oh sure... bring up the pictures of me and Christie Brinkley again. Some things are just bound to haunt a man for the rest of his life. :rolleyes:

My gawd herself, this thread is loaded with stats. Stats are OK for some folks I guess. I'm more of an "eye test" kind of fan. Very likely is the reason that I sooooo despise what's known as "garbage time" and the "prevent defense".

Well you know my opinion on statistics mate. As long as the number under our name on the scoreboard is bigger than the number under our opponents.....I`m as happy as a pig in mud.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well you know my opinion on statistics mate. As long as the number under our name on the scoreboard is bigger than the number under our opponents.....I`m as happy as a pig in mud.

I'm right there with ya... but, the eye test during a circumstance whereby the number under our name is bigger...is part of the joy. It drives me nutz when I have to watch an offense slide through our defense like a glacier (or like a lightning bolt if our DB's are involved) ... with what appears to be little or no resistance -- case in point, 3rd down conversions. Anyway... I don't have to step in dog poo to know it will make my shoes smell funny... :)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A running game is nice, but I think some fans get too enamoured with it.

I'd never consider a running game as 'nice to have'. Ofc, it never is going to get you as much points on the board as a passing game, but it keeps the chains turning and is uber-crucial in near goal line short yardage situations when passing becomes more difficult.

The Packers are also #1 in defense interceptions amongst the playoff teams.

Surely that's bloated by the Seahawks game? The balls were dropping into our secondary's hands, ffs! What an amazing game that was!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd never consider a running game as 'nice to have'. Ofc, it never is going to get you as much points on the board as a passing game, but it keeps the chains turning and is uber-crucial in near goal line short yardage situations when passing becomes more difficult.

Of course its awesome when your run game is working, but as we have seen many times with AR and the Packers, it isn't always necessary to win games. My statement about the running game was merely to point out that you are going to have games where you can't establish it and fans shouldn't freak out when MM decides to abandon something that isn't working, which seemed to be the case in the Viking game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It sure is nice to be able to make the opposition pay a price for blatantly favoring the pass or run.

I agree and when its working, you do it. Dallas is the team right now that has both a Passing and a Running game that you have to respect both. Zeke Elliott and that Dallas OL would even make Tony Romo look great this year. I'm excited about the way the Packers are currently playing, but Dallas is the one team that I hope we don't have to face on the road to the Super Bowl. Their offense might have Capers packing his bags by halftime.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts