Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers agree on a new deal

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congrats to Big Ben.

Link

NFL.com Wire Reports

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger signed a new contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers that makes him one of the NFL's highest paid players.

The eight-year extension is worth $102 million, including $36 million guaranteed money, reports NFL Network’s Adam Schefter.

The Pro Bowl quarterback led the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory two years ago, and was the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. He's been the starter in all four seasons with the team.

Roethlisberger threw 32 touchdown passes with only 11 interceptions in leading the Steelers to the playoffs this season, bouncing back from an injury marred 2006 season.

Roethlisberger was the third quarterback taken in the 2004 draft, behind Eli Manning and Philip Rivers. He started 13 games his rookie season and was voted offensive rookie of the year, the first quarterback to win the award since it was first given in 1957. The next year he led the Steelers to a Super Bowl victory.

He was injured in a serious motorcycle accident in the 2006 offseason, then underwent an appendectomy. Although he started 15 games, his play was subpar -- he threw 23 interceptions, three more than he had thrown in his first two seasons, and Pittsburgh failed to make the playoffs.

This season, he led the Steelers to a 10-6 record and the AFC North title before they were eliminated by Jacksonville in the playoffs.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully they included a no motorcylce or other stupid stuff clause in the contract.

I like Ben, but honestly I am not sold that he is worth that much. The Steelers are a well built team on offence and I think Ben benefits from that a lot. No running game and Ben is not very good.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully they included a no motorcylce or other stupid stuff clause in the contract.

I like Ben, but honestly I am not sold that he is worth that much. The Steelers are a well built team on offence and I think Ben benefits from that a lot. No running game and Ben is not very good.

dont forget a motorcycle helmet.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read he was asked at the press conf if this (paraphrasing) was "about the money, the security or finally getting a contract done" and he replied "it's about being a Pittsburgh Steeler"

I got goosebumps1 This guy is the real deal. He deserves every penny and is going to be around for a while.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read he was asked at the press conf if this (paraphrasing) was "about the money, the security or finally getting a contract done" and he replied "it's about being a Pittsburgh Steeler"

I got goosebumps1 This guy is the real deal. He deserves every penny and is going to be around for a while.
Well.....at least ONE QB isn't retiring today.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were the Steelers, I'd want to sign him for a long-term deal, too.

I agree that Roethlisberger probably couldn't carry a bad offense, but very, very, very few QBs can.

Members online

Latest posts