Beaver still breathing...

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
08 rookie camp concludes
By Greg A. Bedard
Sunday, May 4 2008, 01:34 PM

Green Bay - Following the third and final practice of this weekend's rookie orientation, Mike McCarthy addressed the media. Here are the highlights:

* McCarthy talked with the personnel department he expects to sign "about four" of the 19 tryout players, which would give the Packers 79 players on their roster heading into OTAs;

* McCarthy said he "would love" to seen Wisconsin-Whitewater RB Justin Beaver be one of those players "because he's been impressive." McCarthy said Beaver was one of the players he and the front office would discuss this evening.

* Comparing it to last year, it was significantly better (than last year) just off the overall group and we had some more players than we had last year. You could see the progression of practices, how they improved from Friday to Sunday.

* The players will have Sunday, May 18th as a travel day back to Green Bay and then May 19th begins the organized team activities.

* On P Kenny DeBauche: "A really good directional punter. I really haven't spent much time watching him, I spent the day with the defense, just trying to sort out the defensive backfield, but we look for him to create very good competition for Jon (Ryan) and we're excited about him, that's why we signed him. It's clearly one of the better workouts, I'm told, that our staff has seen. I think he's competing for a job, there's no doubt about it. They all are."

* There were no injuries.

* On TE Jermichael Finley: "Very athletic. A little more length than I remember on film. I think he has tremendous upside, but just very, very impressed with his athletic ability."

* McCarthy indicated the Packers are waiting until the NFL decides whether or not to increase the rosters to 86, as to whether they sign another quarterback for training camp. That will be decided at the NFL spring owners meeting, May 19-21.

* McCarthy had an interesting take on the Vikings acquiring DE Jared Allen: "It's like anything, it's how you want to look at it. They got a very good player, spent a lot more money of their cap, so it depends on how you want to look at it. They're a good football team. They've done a good job improving their roster."

Fake Link

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I really want this kid to stick around for camp.. change of pace back with sppppppppeeeeeeeeeeed.. not to mention a feel good story.

Packernews.com said:
It sounds like coach Mike McCarthy is going to make a push to keep Justin Beaver, the diminutive running back from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, on the Green Bay Packers' roster.

McCarthy today said no final decisions have been made on the 19 players they had in this weekend for tryouts, but the team likely will sign four of them to the 80-man offseason roster.

The 5-foot-7 Beaver, who won the Division III equivalent of the Heisman Trophy, got plenty of work during the weekend rookie orientation camp and opened some eyes.

“I’ll tell you what, he’s been very impressive,” McCarthy said. “He’s done a very nice job. He plays with a lot of energy. He’s very quick (and) explosive. Does he have a shot? That’s something we’ll discuss when we get upstairs, but I would love for him to have an opportunity because he’s been very impressive.”

The Packers didn’t draft a running back and signed only one undrafted rookie back – Kregg Lumpkin of Georgia. They had only one other running back in for a tryout – Lance Ball of Maryland.

“I definitely believe in myself, and a big reason for that is we ran the same offense in college,” Beaver said. “We ran the zone (rushing) offense in college, and I can use what I learned in college.”

A decision on which players will be offered contracts could come in the next day or two.

“I spent some time with the personnel department just going through a number of guys,” McCarthy said. “(Director of pro personnel) Reggie McKenzie is meeting with the tryout players right now. We’ll make some decisions. We’re looking to bring back approximately four of them.”

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am drooling at the prospect of Finley realizing his potential. lot of good news lately. its fun to be a Packers fan.

Beaver and the zone could be interesting. I still think its a long long long ridiculously long long shot that he makes the final roster. but im cheering for him.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy: On P Kenny DeBauche: "A really good directional punter. I really haven't spent much time watching him, I spent the day with the defense, just trying to sort out the defensive backfield, but we look for him to create very good competition for Jon (Ryan) and we're excited about him, that's why we signed him. It's clearly one of the better workouts, I'm told, that our staff has seen. I think he's competing for a job, there's no doubt about it. They all are." unquote

Free Agent '08 Punter Ken DeBauche is a local Green Bay suburban Bay Port High School graduate, out of the University of Wisconsin at Madison. Kenny was a great punter for the Badgers for the last three years.

All of us Packer fans here in Green Bay are pulling for him to stay on the roster. This first report out of the Packer rookie Camp is promising.

PWT36 located in DePere, Wi, just five miles from Lambeau Field

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am drooling at the prospect of Finley realizing his potential.

me too. Hopefully he can contribute a little bit this year and next, but I'm looking about two years into the future, after he's had some time to develop and a couple offseasons in the strength and conditioning program. Once he grows into his frame, watch out NFL!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night on Channel 5 Green Bay they showed several minutes of footage from the rookie camp, and Larry McCarren gave his impressions. That Beaver looked really quick. He's very small, only 5'7".

It was neat to see all of the new players, like Jordy Nelson, Brian Brohm, and Patrick Lee, in action. It's hard to tell anything about how good they are when it's not serious competition, but they all look very athletic, and it's great to see them in Packer uniforms.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Beaver makes it over Morency and Herron. Could be an interesting project as a 3rd down guy/Special teams guy. I think Morency and Herron should be cut this offseason, they have had the time to show what they bring to the table, and it's not good enough. Time to replace them with younger talent.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A short guy like that can get himself lost behind his blockers. Makes it harder to find and tackle him. I'd LOVE to see a kid like this make it here.
The deck is stacked against him. Now he just has to show he belongs here.
Watching him on TV at practice, he looks like a little kid compared to the other players.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Re: Beaver not breathing in Green Bay...

Well there goes a feel good kind of story.. best of luck Justin.. hopefully someone gives you that shot.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/05/05/no-go-on-beaver.aspx

No go on Beaver
By Greg A. Bedard
Monday, May 5 2008, 05:51 PM
Green Bay - The Packers have informed the representatives of former Wisconsin-Whitewater running back Justin Beaver that they will not be signing him to a contract.

The Packers will sign three players. Former Arkansas defensive tackle Fred Bledsoe was told he would be one of those people, according to his agent.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Beaver not breathing in Green Bay...

Well there goes a feel good kind of story.. best of luck Justin.. hopefully someone gives you that shot.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/05/05/no-go-on-beaver.aspx

No go on Beaver
By Greg A. Bedard
Monday, May 5 2008, 05:51 PM
Green Bay - The Packers have informed the representatives of former Wisconsin-Whitewater running back Justin Beaver that they will not be signing him to a contract.

The Packers will sign three players. Former Arkansas defensive tackle Fred Bledsoe was told he would be one of those people, according to his agent.

That's too bad. I was pulling for him to make it. Hope he doesn't give up and keeps chasing down the dream.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Maybe a little air left in Beaver's GB lungs..

Read on another board, the Packers are still considering whom to sign with the final opening..

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/284827

Justin Beaver's quest for a spot on the Green Bay Packers' 80-man roster might not be over, but for now at least, it's on hold.

The Packers informed the former UW-Whitewater standout halfback's agent, Scott Smith, on Monday that they were signing three of the 19 tryout players that participated in last weekend's post-draft rookie orientation camp, and the 5-foot-7, 191-pound Beaver was not among them.

That doesn't mean Beaver's hopes of keeping his white No. 33 jersey are completely dashed, however.

For starters, the Packers still have one open roster spot, and Beaver didn't get a flat-out thanks-but-no-thanks from them Monday.

And, at the NFL's spring owners meeting in the Atlanta suburb of Buckhead, Ga., beginning on May 19, the league will consider expanding team rosters from 80 to 86, and that could net Beaver a contract if the measure passes.

With NFL Europe developmental league having dissolved last year and no NFLE-exemptions to add training-camp bodies this summer, general managers and coaches throughout the league are hoping to receive the six additional roster spots to combat camp attrition.

"I know they liked what I did," Beaver said Monday. "I gave it 110 percent and made an amazing impression. I have no regrets, and it will take more than this to get me down. I've been through too much in my life to give up that easily. I'm still very hopeful."

Coach Mike McCarthy raved about Beaver after Sunday's final practice, saying, "I'll tell you what, he's been very impressive. He's done a very nice job. He plays with a lot of energy, very quick, explosive. As far as, does he have a shot? That's something actually we'll discuss ... I would love for him to have an opportunity, because he's been impressive."

The Packers didn't draft a running back and signed only one undrafted rookie at the position -— Georgia's Kregg Lumpkin of Georgia. The club brought two backs — Beaver and Maryland's Lance Ball — in for the camp on a tryout basis.

The team has five halfbacks under contract: Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn, Noah Herron, Vernand Morency and Lumpkin. Starter Ryan Grant, an exclusive-rights free agent, has yet to sign his tender. The team also has four fullbacks (John Kuhn, Korey Hall, Corey White and Ryan Powdrell) on the roster.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Maybe a little air left in Beaver's GB lungs..

I find it hard to believe that Noah Herron is a better RB prospect than Beaver. Herron has already maxed out and probably couldn't make most teams in the NFL. Why keep him? I see Beaver being picked up by some other team and playing damned well elsewhere. If MM is as enamored with Beaver's play as he states, why not sign him instead of some unknown DT who'll definitely be stuck on the PS? The Pack could well use more speed and quickness in the backfield, no dispute there. Beaver, with his attitude, would be willing to take on any blitzer coming through. He's definitely Packer People and I hate to see him go elsewhere.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herron knows MM's offense, it would require less work to keep Herron than Beaver.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and the award for best offseason headline so far is......

Beaver Impresses McCarthy

same story really... but makes it sound like Beaver will be around for training camp.

Is that the same article that links to him getting re-married, cuz I got the idea he that he was impressed with beaver then too. I hate when journalists all write on the same damn thing.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Beaver sounds an awful like another D III RB who got a tryout with GB back in 82.
Scott Reppert 5'8" played on the same team as my brother at Lawrence University and I got a chance to watch him play for 4 years.
In those days the NFL had several teams practicing in WI and the week before the 1st preseason game GB had a contolled scrimmage against KC. They brought in refs to make it a game like situation. They were practicing their goal line formations and Scott got into the end zone. He was so happy that he scored that he forgot he could spike the ball in the NFL. He just tossed the to the Ref like he had been doing for all of his college touchdowns. He said it was his only chance and he missed out on the opportunity.
Scott is in the College Football HOF but was cut after a couple of weeks.
Here is part of his HOF bio. Scott Reppert HOF bio

A three-time Division III All-America, Scott Reppert began his career as a backup to All-America Bruce Barkwill. Reppert had sprinter's speed as well as the strength to carry two and three tacklers. His skills made him a constant threat where he had the potential to turn any carry into a touchdown. "He could just find a crease, where the hole developed," former Lawrence coach Ron Roberts said of Reppert. "We'd run to an area, but it was up to him to pick a hole." When he became a starter as a sophomore, he gained 1,223 yards in eight games for an average of 152.9 yards per game, a figure that would lead the nation. Scott's figures improved each season as he became the first Division III player to lead the nation in rushing for three consecutive seasons.

Members online

Latest posts