Bears pull one over on the Pack

Reaction score
Would you rather have the best QB in the league and the worst defense or the best defense and the worst QB? I'd take the QB but it isn't quite that simple with the Packers and Bears since Trubisky isn't the worst QB and the Packers do not have the worst defense.
Very true.
Id like to expound on that question. After looking at the historical data and comparing O vs D rankings going back decades.. Well rounded teams win Championships. There is a slight variance leaning D, but it is very, very slight.
We have the QB. But until we present a few top 10 scoring Defenses it will be very difficult for even Aaron Rodgers to go all the way.
People talk about Brady and rightfully so, he’s a great game manager with a solid arm and he’s smart with the ball. But if Brady didn’t have the luxury of top ten Defenses during 15 of the last 18 seasons? There’s zero question in my mind that he wouldn’t have 1/2 of those SB rings. If he swapped us with his Defensive counterparts each season going back 18 years and took our GB Defenses? We’d be near the reciprocal in results.
I’m not saying Tom didn’t deserve those, he still had to play under pressure and Win those big games..and Win he did, but the point I’m making is it wouldn’t happen without full team performance.

I see GB as heading that direction (largely projection) but I just hope we can retain Rodgers and he plays at a high level similarly into his 40’s. I’d like to see us shoot for 4 of 6 top ten scoring Defenses going into Aaron’s retirement. Anything less is a waste.

Last point but most importantly...we MUST protect #12. Were just getting started there, this year better be just a taste because it’s imperative we keep our foot on the gas of attaining the best or near best O line. We got killed last year and Aaron Rodgers just about had his career ended (again).
2 broken collar bones, and a broken knee cap and we’re 1-2 more away from a different QB. As Rodgers ages his probability of injury increases and his recovery time lengthens (it’s the natural part of our existence that some 35 year olds don’t recognize or accept) Somebody better wake up in our front office and start prioritizing our assets better.. or we can each kiss all this talk like a fart in the wind, because I’m sorry to remind everyone... Tim Boyle ain’t leading us into the SB Sunset ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Personally I'd rather be in the Packers situation because I'd rather have the great QB but its not all doom and gloom for the Bears. If Trubisky improves a bit more they should be competitive for a while.

It will be difficult for the Bears to keep that dominant defense together once they have to pay Trubisky.

With the current CBA teams need players still on rookie contracts to perform significantly above expectations. That's especially helpful it the quarterback is capable of doing it.

People talk about Brady and rightfully so, he’s a great game manager with a solid arm and he’s smart with the ball. But if Brady didn’t have the luxury of top ten Defenses during 15 of the last 18 seasons? There’s zero question in my mind that he wouldn’t have 1/2 of those SB rings.

While it's true that Brady and the Patriots benefitted from having good defenses for most of the past 18 years it should be noted that their offense finished in the top 10 in points scored in 17 of those seasons as well.

New England has had extremely balanced teams successful on both sides of the ball.

Last point but most importantly...we MUST protect #12. Were just getting started there, this year better be just a taste because it’s imperative we keep our foot on the gas of attaining the best or near best O line. We got killed last year and Aaron Rodgers just about had his career ended (again).
2 broken collar bones, and a broken knee cap and we’re 1-2 more away from a different QB. As Rodgers ages his probability of injury increases and his recovery time lengthens (it’s the natural part of our existence that some 35 year olds don’t recognize or accept) Somebody better wake up in our front office and start prioritizing our assets better.. or we can each kiss all this talk like a fart in the wind, because I’m sorry to remind everyone... Tim Boyle ain’t leading us into the SB Sunset ;)

The Packers offensive line has been pretty good in pass protection over the past few years. Hopefully LaFleur's scheme will give Rodgers more opportunities to throw the ball faster and he takes advantage of them as well.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be difficult for the Bears to keep that dominant defense together once they have to pay Trubisky.

With the current CBA teams need players still on rookie contracts to perform significantly above expectations. That's especially helpful it the quarterback is capable of doing it.

While it's true that Brady and the Patriots benefitted from having good defenses for most of the past 18 years it should be noted that their offense finished in the top 10 in points scored in 17 of those seasons as well.

New England has had extremely balanced teams successful on both sides of the ball.

The Packers offensive line has been pretty good in pass protection over the past few years. Hopefully LaFleur's scheme will give Rodgers more opportunities to throw the ball faster and he takes advantage of them as well.

Possibly, I don't think Trubisky will be setting any bars for QB salary when he is due for an extension. By the time it rolls around I'm not sure they will be paying their QB and best defensive player that much more than we will. I don't think they will be hurting any more than we will in the next few years

People like to make excuses why the Patriots have been so good for so long. Brady would be nothing without Bellichick. Bellichick is lucky to have had Brady. The offense is lucky they had a top defense. They play in a weak division. Yada yada yada. They do it because they don't want to admit they have been just that. A very good football team. In any given season one unit may carry another to some extent but to be consistently near the top you have to be well rounded and balanced and like you said that is what they have been.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha could be a star with Dominant dline in front of him.

Haha? Ha Ha! ( I feel like Nelson Munz)

Seriously though you could be right. I'd still rather have Amos even for what they are both being paid but sometimes a supporting cast can make all the difference.

One question is with all the investments we have made to improve our front 7 would HA HA have been a better player for us? I'm not going to look back on it with regret no matter how it turns out but I don't think the Bears did all that poorly getting him for what they did.

D

Deleted member 6794

Possibly, I don't think Trubisky will be setting any bars for QB salary when he is due for an extension. By the time it rolls around I'm not sure they will be paying their QB and best defensive player that much more than we will. I don't think they will be hurting any more than we will in the next few years

I don't expect the Bears to pay Trubisky anywhere close to what Rodgers is making in Green Bay but Chicago signing him to an extension will definitely make it tougher for them to surround him with an elite defense.

Reaction score
The Packers offensive line has been pretty good in pass protection over the past few years
Our opinions differ widely here. Last year alone, GB ranked 21st in run blocking and 21st in pass protection according to football outsiders. We were #30 in QB sacks and bottom 10 in the league in adjusted sack rate, all this while NE ranked #1 in both sack categories! I really do hope the GB staff doesn’t hold the same opinion of us being “really good” lately because we’re “not nearly good enough” at this juncture. When we get in the top 5 in protecting our largest investment at QB, I’ll consider us making some headway or being “really good” in QB protection.
We should be top 5 area consistently and we should aspire to knock NE and NO down a few slots.

Last edited:

King_Meruem

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys have more faith in the Bears than I do. If Rodgers can stay healthy, I'm saying the Packers will win the division.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Check out a highlights video I made to show why I think Rodgers is the most talented qb ever.

H

HardRightEdge

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Check out a highlights video I made to show why I think Rodgers is the most talented qb ever.
The plays in that video are terrible! They're all extended ad lib plays, for gosh sakes. Where are the checkdowns and short timing passes breaking for 60 yards that LaFleur will bring to the proceedings. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha? Ha Ha! ( I feel like Nelson Munz)

Seriously though you could be right. I'd still rather have Amos even for what they are both being paid but sometimes a supporting cast can make all the difference.

One question is with all the investments we have made to improve our front 7 would HA HA have been a better player for us? I'm not going to look back on it with regret no matter how it turns out but I don't think the Bears did all that poorly getting him for what they did.
I'm optimistic. Amos is a worker I bet. To get from 5th round to 10 mil a year or whatever he got ... You are doung something right.
We got sime good players in free agency who are hitting their prime this contract. Have been durable too, as mentioned.

But yea. I wouldve spend half the draft on dline and oline. Clemson nose at 12. And oline at 30. Then those 4th rounders wouldve been split oline/dline too. Minimum. Besides a free agent like we got.
Protect #12 and we win.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our opinions differ widely here. Last year alone, GB ranked 21st in run blocking and 21st in pass protection according to football outsiders. We were #30 in QB sacks and bottom 10 in the league in adjusted sack rate, all this while NE ranked #1 in both sack categories!

Football Outsiders adjusted sack rate isn't a good way to evaluate the performance of the offensive line in pass protection. FWIW they had the Packers ranked seventh in run blocking.

According to PFF the team had the best pass blocking unit in the entire league in 2018.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has been getting hurt lately. That can't happen. Needs to be the new high priority with him getting to the end stages of his career. Now its a matter of stopping injuries so he can have some of that tom Brady longevity.....in greenbay.....

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has been getting hurt lately. That can't happen. Needs to be the new high priority with him getting to the end stages of his career. Now its a matter of stopping injuries so he can have some of that tom Brady longevity.....in greenbay.....
Sounds great, but I don't think Rodgers is going to be amenable to adopting that kind of style of play. It would be nice if someone could sell it to him like that, like it will prolong his career. But it sounds like he's got too much Favre in him. Strange to say that now, when they once seemed like such polar opposites.

Reaction score
According to PFF the team had the best pass blocking unit in the entire league in 2018.
I would like PFF to explain to me exactly how they can put GB as the best in the league in 2018 (at anything) while Fantasy Pros as the very first example I clicked on had GB rated #14 specifically in pass protection.
I don’t have to be an expert to know that the GB pass protection was not near #1 or at least I really hope our FO doesn’t buy into that stat or we are in deep trouble. I’m pretty sure GB wouldn’t go out and hit OL in both FA and early day 2 if they thought they were the most dominant pass protection in the league. Especially after largely ignoring the OL going back nearly a decade.

We’d better continue investing at O line on a regular basis again (annually, similar to 2019) or as fans, we are in for a long 4-5 years.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like PFF to explain to me exactly how they can put GB as the best in the league in 2018 (at anything) while Fantasy Pros as the very first example I clicked on had GB rated #14 specifically in pass protection.
Maybe they used "seconds that the quarterback held the ball" as their criteria :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m pretty sure GB wouldn’t go out and hit OL in both FA and early day 2 if they thought they were the most dominant pass protection in the league. Especially after largely ignoring the OL going back nearly a decade.

I don't consider a fantasy site to be a credible source for evaluating pass protection. The Packers need to improve blocking for the run as PFF ranked them only 23rd in that area though.

Members online

Latest posts