Bears pull one over on the Pack

H

HardRightEdge

The Bears may not value open field tackling. Anyway, it's apples vs. oranges now with Amos playing SS.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't expect them to say anything else. I think the main reason they didn't resign AA was the money and they did get a bargain with HHCD but the real question is would they have resigned AA if they could have gotten him for what they are paying HHCD? I think they would have jumped at that chance.

The article says PFF had him as the 5th rated safety but I would think a decent reporter or journalist would have included AAs rating in their article. If he was lower it would tend to validate their claim so it makes me wonder if he was not rated higher which would undermine their claim.

They had interceptions, passes defended and tackles but I see they didn't include missed tackles and blown assignments.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This drum has been beating pretty steadily from Bears people on social media for a number of months now. I think they're trying to convince themselves. Amos can prove them wrong on the field.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got a 4th for HaHa and I was happy with that. I wanted him to do well but he just did not pan out. I hope he continues to come up late for the tackle, after the catch has already been made, along with the first down.

D

Deleted member 6794

The article says PFF had him as the 5th rated safety but I would think a decent reporter or journalist would have included AAs rating in their article. If he was lower it would tend to validate their claim so it makes me wonder if he was not rated higher which would undermine their claim.

The author of the article did a pretty bad job researching those numbers. PFF had HHCD rated tied for seventh among all safeties at the time he was traded by the Packers. At that point Amos was ranked only tied for 40th. From week 9 on, Amos was the fifth best safety in the league according to PFF while Clinton-Dix dropped to 43rd while playing in Washington.

Overall, Amos finished the season 10th ahead of Clinton-Dix at 17th.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:p

The Redskins loved Clinton-Dix so much, that after giving up a fourth-round pick to acquire him, they let him walk right out the door.

Ironically, that pick was packaged with GB's own fourth-rounder to move up nine spots in the first round in order to draft.....a safety. Darnell Savage.

I'd call that an upgrade.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Redskins loved Clinton-Dix so much, that after giving up a fourth-round pick to acquire him, they let him walk right out the door.

Ironically, that pick was packaged with GB's own fourth-rounder to move up nine spots in the first round in order to draft.....a safety. Darnell Savage.

Hopefully Savage provides an upgrade over Clinton-Dix but don't forget that both were drafted in the exact same spot.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks the Bears is the least of our worries in the NFC North? In my opinion, they have the worst QB, worst WR corp and second worst RB corp. They have one of the best defensive players in the NFL, but losing Vic Vangio is going to hurt the unit as a hole. Honestly, I see the lions as a defensive dark horse that also made some key additions offensively in TJ Hockenson and Jesse James (we know Matt Patricia know how to use TEs in this league), added a somewhat effective slot guy in Danny Amendola and a guy that can stretch the field in Jermaine Kearse. While none of those names really scare me, collectively as a group with Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay and Tommylee, that is a well rounded team. All it takes is them to make a last minute trade or waiver wire pick up of a solid RB and the lions could be the team to beat in the bloodbath that is the NFC North.

D

Deleted member 6794

Am I the only one who thinks the Bears is the least of our worries in the NFC North? In my opinion, they have the worst QB, worst WR corp and second worst RB corp. They have one of the best defensive players in the NFL, but losing Vic Vangio is going to hurt the unit as a hole. Honestly, I see the lions as a defensive dark horse that also made some key additions offensively in TJ Hockenson and Jesse James (we know Matt Patricia know how to use TEs in this league), added a somewhat effective slot guy in Danny Amendola and a guy that can stretch the field in Jermaine Kearse. While none of those names really scare me, collectively as a group with Marvin Jones, Kenny Golladay and Tommylee, that is a well rounded team. All it takes is them to make a last minute trade or waiver wire pick up of a solid RB and the lions could be the team to beat in the bloodbath that is the NFC North.

While losing Vic Fangio might hurt the Bears I fully expect their defense to be a legit unit in 2019 and them being the toughest opponent for the division crown.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:p

and the Bears snatched him and quickly inked him to a 1 year contract. Clearly they really believed just how great he is so they invested heavily in him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The author of the article did a pretty bad job researching those numbers. PFF had HHCD rated tied for seventh among all safeties at the time he was traded by the Packers. At that point Amos was ranked only tied for 40th. From week 9 on, Amos was the fifth best safety in the league according to PFF while Clinton-Dix dropped to 43rd while playing in Washington.

Knew we could count on you Cap. Thanks.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For the season, this tweet by PFF says Haha was rated 21st. Which is actually better than I would have thought.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pff/status/1106276167575851009

and the Bears snatched him and quickly inked him to a 1 year contract. Clearly they really believed just how great he is so they invested heavily in him.
Perfect. If they were so damn excited to get him, they would have signed him for a few years. And, probably not have waited till the dust settles in FA.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions are lacking a QB who can really elevate a team. Hockenson will not do much as a rookie, as just about every great TE took time. I think their coach is going to take some time to adjust to being a HC.

The Vikings are only a QB away from being very good. If cousins rebounds and plays well, they will be tough.

Bears depend on development of Trubisky. Cant expect him to be great early, it takes time. No telling how they do.

I think it's a close race of GB, Chi, and Minny in the 10-6 to 12-4 range. With the lions at the bottom at 6-10.

Reaction score
The Bears were a 3 seed last playoffs and were eliminated from playoff contention by a missed FG. That takes more than just beating some NFC North division teams to get there. They are “the” team to beat in the NFC North and stand as the NFC North Division “King of the Hill”.. As painful as it is to say that.

That said, if GBs Defense makes any marked improvement (I believe they will) such as moving into even the top 50% of the league, I believe the Aaron Rodgers led Packers will be right back in the mix for another Division title.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got a 4th for HaHa and I was happy with that. I wanted him to do well but he just did not pan out. I hope he continues to come up late for the tackle, after the catch has already been made, along with the first down.
Finally, someone who pays attention. I'll bet that HaHa has never had to wash his uniform since he started playing football. Watching him "tackle" is more like watching synchronized swimming - mirroring the receivers every move until someone else actually makes a tackle. If Amos isn't better than that, cut him now. As far as the division goes, any Packer fan knows that records don't count when it comes to the NFC North. Those games are always the toughest.

D

Deleted member 6794

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean this is the same team that evaluated Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes and said to themselves "We need to trade a but load of picks to move up one spot to make sure we dont miss out on Trubisky" so.....

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean this is the same team that evaluated Trubisky, Watson and Mahomes and said to themselves "We need to trade a but load of picks to move up one spot to make sure we dont miss out on Trubisky" so.....

While the Bears most likely wished they had selected Mahomes or Watson instead of Trubisky they ranked ninth in points scored in the league last season. With a dominant defense Chicago definitely seems to be a legit contender for the division crown in 2019 again.

Staff online

Latest posts