1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Bears Draft & GM

Discussion in 'Draft Talk' started by ThxJackVainisi, Apr 28, 2013.

1. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,923
    I had some work to do around the house yesterday so I recorded the draft and listened to a couple hours of Bears radio. Hub Arkush hosted the call-in show. I know some don’t like him but I like hearing what Hub has to say. He’s well informed and IMO attempts to be objective.

We argue about Thompson’s moves and lack thereof but you should hear some Bears fans talk about GM Phil Emery. One of the main reasons Emery was hired as GM was his drafting prowess but after last years draft (his first) and the first three rounds yesterday some Bears fans are wondering just how good he is and Arkush is among those with questions. Last year their first pick was Shea McClellin. He certainly wasn’t (and IMO won’t be) a bust but he hasn’t lived up to expectations.

There were a lot of questions about this years first rounder, OL Kyle Long, who the Bears picked at #20. Some fans think Emery puts too much emphasis on the interviews he does with players and some wonder if he tries to prove how smart he is by ignoring conventional wisdom. One caller quoted Emery saying he would not consider trading down out of #20 as long as Kyle Long was on the board. Arkush wondered if the fan had misunderstood what Emery said, but after a commercial break he found this quote: "We had some conversations prior to the start of the draft. We had some people call us, but nothing that would take us off that pick. Kyle was the player that we targeted. We've targeted him for the last couple of weeks. He had to be gone for us to move back. We were not going to move off that spot if Kyle Long was still available."

Long is expected to start at OG and perhaps move to RT in the future so it seems strange to me that a GM wouldn’t consider even a great offer to move down a few spots because he fell in love with an OL who is not expected to play LT. Don’t get me wrong, Long may end up being a great O linemen but the obstinacy displayed by their GM makes me a happy Packers fan.

The Bears have gone a long way toward rebuilding their OL – a necessary task for them. There is speculation that a surprising casualty of that process may be Gabe Carimi who has struggled in Chicago since being drafted in the first round of the 2011 draft. That pick may have been the last straw for former GM Jerry Angelo. He tried to trade up from pick 29 to 26 to pick Carimi and declared that he’d start at LT. Carimi started at RT and then went on IR. This past season he lost his job at RT and finished the season at OG only because of injuries there. He may not fit Trestman’s scheme and of course neither Trestman nor Emery owe him any allegiance.

BTW, at the end of the show, Arkush apologized to the callers he didn't get to and mentioned one was calling to ask about the Packers' draft. He said he didn't have time to evaluate it but did say the Packers needed a RB and they had picked the top two on his draft board.

2. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    The dude is still probably better than Jerry Angelo thou...
    Bears actually addressed their linebacker depth (after Urlacher leaves) - acquired some guys (Marshall/couple Oline) to help their offense...

But still, selecting a dude with 4 starts in the 1st round when you could of got him in the 2nd/3rd round, :D dumb bears.

3. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,923
    I agree about Emery being better than Angelo - but that's not a high bar! :D

I don't know if the Bears could have gotten Long in the second round but what I thought was foolish was to decide beforehand they wouldn't accept any trade offers if Long was on the board - no matter how good the offer was. That kind of thinking gets a team in trouble in the long run IMO. It's why Thompson's recognition that even with all the resources they commit to the draft it's still a crap-shoot is the better way to approach it. IOW there had to be another player worth "settling for" if it meant picking up an extra 3rd rounder, for example.

BTW, I believe Urlacher is already gone.

4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Somewhat admire the guy for his conviction to what he believes. Now the big question, is what he believes valid. You can never play the game, we could have gotten him in the next round, we will never know. Its easy for me to imagine Long being available in the 3rd round, however. I am shocked a player with only 4 starts in college, could ever be a first round draft pick.

Else wise, I think there would have been an offer that he couldn't refuse and he would have traded back.