Bear defense

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is an example of why I think we are very lucky to have McGinn as one of the Packers beat writers. It’s informative/educational and it’s well sourced and thoroughly researched – he interviewed 10 NFL assistant coaches for the story. He brings the history of the 46 from its beginning to today; a history lesson pertinent to today and of course, the Packers.

I understand some here don’t like him and of course I don’t agree with everything he writes. It would be incredible if he didn’t make mistakes considering the volume of material he’s produced over the decades. Some see him as arrogant. He doesn’t come across that way to me in the podcasts but I really don’t care if he is. He’s not a friend and he is damn good at his job.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bear defense is a tricky defense to block as long as you run it well. Not many teams run a true Bear front anymore. I only know of Va Tech in College that runs it. They gave Ohio State fits with it in week 1.

Last edited:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see more success out of this formation other than 4 plays against someone not named Jay Cutler, but even with the small sample size it is encouraging. Hopefully the "Bear" doesn't go the same way as the 4-3 and psycho packages of previous Packer teams.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'd like to see more success out of this formation other than 4 plays against someone not named Jay Cutler, but even with the small sample size it is encouraging. Hopefully the "Bear" doesn't go the same way as the 4-3 and psycho packages of previous Packer teams.

The Packers scrapped the quad defense last season because it was completely unsuccessful. As long as the unit only allows three yards per play in the Bear defense they will continue to use it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an example of why I think we are very lucky to have McGinn as one of the Packers beat writers. It’s informative/educational and it’s well sourced and thoroughly researched – he interviewed 10 NFL assistant coaches for the story. He brings the history of the 46 from its beginning to today; a history lesson pertinent to today and of course, the Packers.

I understand some here don’t like him and of course I don’t agree with everything he writes. It would be incredible if he didn’t make mistakes considering the volume of material he’s produced over the decades. Some see him as arrogant. He doesn’t come across that way to me in the podcasts but I really don’t care if he is. He’s not a friend and he is damn good at his job.

I have a love hate view of McGinn, a very good sports journalist with a sophisticated understanding of the game. But he's too much of a fan. There are players he can't bring himself to criticize, Erik Walden, and players he never seems to like, Ryan Grant. He's also too quick to trot out anonymous support for his own viewpoints, according to nameless executive the Packers are... sigh.

But as a whole he is a very good journalist who is very invested into our Packers. This fan would rather have him than not have him

Members online

Latest posts