BCS Playoff Suggestions

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know pretty much evreybody likes college football but the BCS is severely bringing it down. I've come to the point where I don't care to watch the games that much except the fact that I love football and will watch it any form. College football doesn't pull me in because I know that only a handfull of teams truly have a shot. Therefore, I declare this the spot to vent about the BCS and possibly put any suggestions out there for a playoff system.

OP
OP
B

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and if anyone actually likes the current BCS system please defend it and try to sway my viewpoint (as well as the majority)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I agree with you totally, that BCS list is ********, but the reason it continues is simple: $$$
A Bowl generates A LOT of money to the city, to the sponsor, and such. And how many bowls are out there? One single championship would make a lot of people angry. Powerful, rich, cognac-drinker people angry.

favrefan4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason that the BCS is still around is because it creates controversy, and controversy generates money. Like PackersRS said, Money, Money, Money. And now all of the bowls are getting stupid. I mean the R+L Carriers New Orleans bowl, WTF is that? I support a playoff system, they can find ways to make just as much money that way the same way they do with the bowl system. C'mon playoffs

ImOpen475

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The current system makes the regular season much more exciting as every game counts. But i'm not defending the current system, i'm all for playoffs, maybe then i can finally see USC take on Florida in the NC game.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want either a 4 or 8 team playoff.

Until this happens NO ONE is going to be satisfied by the "computer" matchups.

ImOpen475

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want either a 4 or 8 team playoff.

Until this happens NO ONE is going to be satisfied by the "computer" matchups.

4 might be too small. I was thinking more like 8 or 16. Maybe pick the top two teams from each conference.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way we get to 16, the BCS suits will shoot that down. The plus 1 theory would technically be a 4 team which has been talked about a lot. I would be happy with 4 since that would ultimately lead to 8 and then 16! :)

ImOpen475

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way we get to 16, the BCS suits will shoot that down. The plus 1 theory would technically be a 4 team which has been talked about a lot. I would be happy with 4 since that would ultimately lead to 8 and then 16! :)

Yeah that's a good point, i didn't think about that.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Take the 32 bowl games, turn it into a 64 team playoff. My count, that adds 6 weeks to the season. Do away with the ridiculous month break between regular season's end and bowl season's start, and you only really need to add 2 weeks or so to the season. Allow current bowl sponsors to sponsor first round games like they do now, they keep their money, we get a crazy bonanza of college madness, everyone besides NFL teams is happy.

Never happen, and i'm sure you'll all now give me a million reasons why it both couldn't and shouldn't, but it sounds like a helluva lot of fun, doesn't it?

Sample Reason: Longer season = kids not being able to go back to campus for finals.

Sample Reason 2: The season would run through Christmas break and into second semester, causing all players to miss the holidays.

See, I anticipate you all shooting me down. It just sounds like a fun playoff system to me. Start the season a month early then. People would welcome that. Then eligibility probably gets cloudy though.

Truthfully, the 8 to 12 team playoff things probably make the most sense.

Staff online

Members online