Battle of the Henrys

D

Deleted member 6794

As for Derrick, I just like the thought of him running into the opposing Backers for half the game then let a slimmed down Lacy run past them. Besides, everyone was complaining about not having anyone to pick up that 3rd and 1 from the 1 last year. Gotta figure Derrick should be good for at least that much. So what, 6-8 TD's per year just from the 1 yard line.

The offensive line was mainly responsible for the Packers struggles running in short yardage situations. With better blocking Lacy is more than capable of getting those tough yards as well.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that either Ragland, Billings or Reed are available with the Alabama linebacker being my favourite.
What about Ragland's cover abilities? What about the loss of Raji in the middle and Pennel gone for 4 weeks?

D

Deleted member 6794

What about Ragland's cover abilities? What about the loss of Raji in the middle and Pennel gone for 4 weeks?

Ragland, while not perfectly fitting the Packers needs, is an upgrade over both Barrington and Ryan as a coverage linebacker as well. There isn't any other ILB worthy of using a first-round pick on.

As I've mentioned above this year's draft is deep on the defensive line, therefore it's possible to get a talented player in the second round as well.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ragland, while not perfectly fitting the Packers needs, is an upgrade over both Barrington and Ryan as a coverage linebacker as well. There isn't any other ILB worthy of using a first-round pick on.

As I've mentioned above this year's draft is deep on the defensive line, therefore it's possible to get a talented player in the second round as well.
I've tinkered around a lot with mock drafts this year and it consistently lays out better to take a DT in the 1st unless you can get a top 4 OT that can pull OG duty and play both OT positions. Then you have to grab him. Cody Whitehair at OG would be a real hard guy to pass up at #27 too considering both Lang and Sitton are FA's next year. An instant replacement for a fraction of the price.

Tough choices for sure. My hesitancy to take a LB in Rd 1 is there doesn't appear to be more than 1 or two that are 3 down guys and I don't find value in that at Rd. 1. If we end up taking Ragland, it won't hurt us but I don't think he would be the best value at that pick. Then again, maybe the Lines get picked clean early as well and he ends up being the best guy left on the board. Who knows.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off topic, but I predict if the Raiders draft Ezekiel Elliott at 14, they'll be in the Super Bowl within the next 2 years. I feel strongly that Elliott is going to be a special RB in the NFL. Raiders are a RB away of being a great offense. Their D, especially in the front 7, is going to be rough.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say take henry the bruiser rb. Reason 1, post starks plan complete. Reason 2, lacy doesnt seem to be able to give the abuse we want, without wearing out and breaking down. You seen it his rookie year, and year 2 he started fading. Not lazy as much as mental. He went into a bit of self preservation mode imo. Reason 3, we might have 3 good rbs to start this year. But lacy a fa next year. Starks 32 and fa the following... To bank a whole season on the hopes a rookie rb can contribute early??? Risky. Un needed risk. And a premiere rb shows himself in the 2nd? You guarantee our best possibility to field a starting quality rb without a miss.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've tinkered around a lot with mock drafts this year and it consistently lays out better to take a DT in the 1st unless you can get a top 4 OT that can pull OG duty and play both OT positions. Then you have to grab him. Cody Whitehair at OG would be a real hard guy to pass up at #27 too considering both Lang and Sitton are FA's next year. An instant replacement for a fraction of the price.

Whitehead is for sure an intriguing guard prospect but even if he's still on the board at #27 he won't be head and shoulders above of the other draftees available. In that case position of need factors into the pick and a defensive lineman or an inside linebacker left in the top tier of the Packers draft board will present more value to the team.

In addition Thompson has build the interior offensive line with mid-round picks only and I don't see him changing that approach.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I say take henry the bruiser rb. Reason 1, post starks plan complete. Reason 2, lacy doesnt seem to be able to give the abuse we want, without wearing out and breaking down. You seen it his rookie year, and year 2 he started fading. Not lazy as much as mental. He went into a bit of self preservation mode imo. Reason 3, we might have 3 good rbs to start this year. But lacy a fa next year. Starks 32 and fa the following... To bank a whole season on the hopes a rookie rb can contribute early??? Risky. Un needed risk. And a premiere rb shows himself in the 2nd? You guarantee our best possibility to field a starting quality rb without a miss.
You overlooked the obvious. McCarthy does not often play rookie skill players on offense until they have the entire playbook down. Something about trust with the QB. At RB, they need to be able to pass block before playing much. I recall Lacy getting a lot of snaps but not many in passing downs or the no huddle until later in the season. By then Rodgers was out and they needed someone to just run the ball.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they view pass blocking as a RB as being as valuable as anything a player can bring to the table. If they can't pass block, they aren't lining up behind Rodgers until they can pick up a blitz.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think seattle picks henry in the 1st round....big hole to fill... Lost lt too. Things could go rg3 on wilson without protection and lynch...

D

Deleted member 6794

I think seattle picks henry in the 1st round....big hole to fill... Lost lt too. Things could go rg3 on wilson without protection and lynch...

Thomas Rawls rushed for 830 yards on only 147 runs (5.6 yards average) and four TDs. The Seahawks have other holes to fill than at running back.