Battle of the Henrys

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. Purely hypothetical here but what do you say we do if both Henrys are available for the Pack in Round 2. Hunter and Derrick. I know we need an upgrade at TE but man, I would sure like someone else have to tackle Derrick instead of us. You could pound it all day with him and Lacy and let the other guys soak in ice the next week.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's more likely than not we'd pass on both of them. There will be plenty of DL, OLB/ILB and OL to pick from in the first 2 rounds

D

Deleted member 6794

OK. Purely hypothetical here but what do you say we do if both Henrys are available for the Pack in Round 2. Hunter and Derrick. I know we need an upgrade at TE but man, I would sure like someone else have to tackle Derrick instead of us. You could pound it all day with him and Lacy and let the other guys soak in ice the next week.

With the Packers signing of Jared Cook addressing the biggest need at tight end and a running back most likely ending up third on the depth chart next season I'd rather pass on both of them because of more pressing needs on the roster.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers signing of Jared Cook addressing the biggest need at tight end and a running back most likely ending up third on the depth chart next season I'd rather pass on both of them because of more pressing needs on the roster.
Starks was only a 2 year signing, leaving the option to cut in 1 year. This would give Derrick 1 year to pick up the offense and work his way in slowly and provide backup in case Lacy get's injured or doesn't pan out (not really likely in my book). As for Hunter, hard to pass up the #1 TE if he falls to us in Rd 2. Not that we don't have other needs mind you.

This one's just for fun really. I don't expect it to play out but who can tell the mind of TT on these matters.

D

Deleted member 6794

Starks was only a 2 year signing, leaving the option to cut in 1 year. This would give Derrick 1 year to pick up the offense and work his way in slowly and provide backup in case Lacy get's injured or doesn't pan out (not really likely in my book). As for Hunter, hard to pass up the #1 TE if he falls to us in Rd 2. Not that we don't have other needs mind you.

This one's just for fun really. I don't expect it to play out but who can tell the mind of TT on these matters.

As I've said repeatedly I don't see Hunter Henry as a fit for the Packers offense. I wouldn't mind drafting a tight end but would prefer Tyler Higbee over Henry.

The Packers are set at running back entering this season. If Lacy ends up walking away in free agency next offseason I would be fine with addressing the position early in the 2017 draft as rookie running backs are capable of making an impact immediately.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IMO with the Cook signing, the TE position is no longer an urgent need. Richard Rodgers has 2 years left on his rookie contract and as much as some think he is too slow, I still think he will continue to grow into a decent #2. I have high hopes for Cook, but depending on what the coaches see in Perillo and Backman, don't see a TE being drafted until after the 3rd round.

D

Deleted member 6794

IMO with the Cook signing, the TE position is no longer an urgent need. Richard Rodgers has 2 years left on his rookie contract and as much as some think he is too slow, I still think he will continue to grow into a decent #2. I have high hopes for Cook, but depending on what the coaches see in Perillo and Backman, don't see a TE being drafted until after the 3rd round.

With Cook being on a one-year contract and possibly leaving in free agency again next offseason I wouldn't mind adding another athletic tight end presenting a receiving threat, especially as TEs need some time to develop at the pro level.

Higbee in the third- or fourth-round would be a better option than Henry though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I truly hope we have the dilemma of having 2 very good TE's (Cook and Rodgers) at the end of 2016. Drafting Higbee could further complicate that, in a good way. I know I was one that was very vocal about finding more speed at TE and I think we found that in Cook. But as I said above, Richard Rodgers showed me some things last year that impressed me. It was also only his second year in the league and short of his low yards/catch, he played "decent" most of the season in a dysfunctional offense that guys like Cobb and Adams seemed to struggle in.

D

Deleted member 6794

I truly hope we have the dilemma of having 2 very good TE's (Cook and Rodgers) at the end of 2016. Drafting Higbee could further complicate that, in a good way. I know I was one that was very vocal about finding more speed at TE and I think we found that in Cook. But as I said above, Richard Rodgers showed me some things last year that impressed me. It was also only his second year in the league and short of his low yards/catch, he played "decent" most of the season in a dysfunctional offense that guys like Cobb and Adams seemed to struggle in.

Rodgers is a dangerous red zone threat and has great hands and because of it will still be a vital part of the Packers offense next season. He will never be able to stretch a defense because of his lack of speed though.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope we stack DL and LB in this draft with a touch of OL. If we play our cards right, our defense could be devastating with the right picks. Our secondary is already good.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Derrick Henry is sitting there at pick #57 I certainly hope TT would grab him. Both Lacy & Starks are 1 year commitments. Can you imagine Henry with a deep set and room to get up to speed before getting to the line? Even if there's no hole he blows-open one for a 3 yard gain... if he finds a hole it's a 6+ yarder. He's 245 with about 4% body fat and even if he gains 15 he's still a monster. I've seriously cooled on Hunter Henry, but Derrick would be (IMHO) a no brainer pick with #57.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers is a dangerous red zone threat and has great hands and because of it will still be a vital part of the Packers offense next season. He will never be able to stretch a defense because of his lack of speed though.

Totally agree. RR will never be that TE that defenses worry about going deep, but as long as the other 2-4 guys around him are getting down the field, his route running and hands will make him a valuable weapon to the Packers, especially in the red zone (as you said). I think his low yds/catch last year can be attributed a lot to the woes of the whole offense and defenses able to play up close to the line of scrimmage. If Jordy and Cook start spreading the defenses out, look for Cobb, Adams and RR to make some plays around the first down markers and beyond.

Will be interesting to see how often they use a two TE set on passing downs. I thought I read something about Cook being able to play a bit like Graham and split out? I know the two TE set will give us some options on short yardage and in the red zone with both Cook and RR.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Derrick Henry is sitting there at pick #57 I certainly hope TT would grab him. Both Lacy & Starks are 1 year commitments. Can you imagine Henry with a deep set and room to get up to speed before getting to the line? Even if there's no hole he blows-open one for a 3 yard gain... if he finds a hole it's a 6+ yarder. He's 245 with about 4% body fat and even if he gains 15 he's still a monster. I've seriously cooled on Hunter Henry, but Derrick would be (IMHO) a no brainer pick with #57.

What's the reasoning behind drafting a player early who will most likely end up being third on the depth chart and not getting many snaps next season instead of addressing a position in need of an upgrade on top of the depth chart???

Even if Lacy walks in free agency next year the 2017 draft would be the right time to address the position.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And personally, if we drafted DL with our first
I think we got hit with kinda the perfect storm last year. Jordy and Ty-Mon go down. Lacy is a walking refridgerator (couldn't run), and the OL got wiped out pretty good. The one positive was all the experience the young guys got that should translate to this year.

R-Rod will be just that much better this year with the other O-Weapons back and with the new ones already in-house and coming in the draft. I think a heavy dose of D in the draft, 5 picks between the DL and LBs, Higbee would be nice to add to the mix offensively and then backup on the OL and RB (or two at OL).

And PLEASE grab the best punter in the draft. I honestly believe we can do all of that and come away seriously better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Have you been drinking kool-aid with another poster? Oh wait, you said second round....whewww :D That would be tempting, but IDK, TT not addressing the ILB in the FA market and the sudden need for help on the D-line makes those two positions more important then RB for sure. Henry could turn out to be a great back, ....but then again....so could Lacy so my vote would be to wait and see if we have that need and if we do, find a similar back in the 2017 draft.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So by that reasoning TT shouldn't address OLB in '16's draft because we still have Peppers & Perry? or OG since Sitton & Lang are around for another year? Derrick Henry would see the field fairly often as a rookie and would take some of Stark's snaps on earlier downs. Why wait for a crisis to hit before thinking about addressing it?

Lacy could flame out and play at 250+ again or light it up and demand a contract that TT can't/won't consider, so why not have our franchise RB ready to rumble in '17?

D

Deleted member 6794

So by that reasoning TT shouldn't address OLB in '16's draft because we still have Peppers & Perry? or OG since Sitton & Lang are around for another year? Derrick Henry would see the field fairly often as a rookie and would take some of Stark's snaps on earlier downs. Why wait for a crisis to hit before thinking about addressing it?

Lacy could flame out and play at 250+ again or light it up and demand a contract that TT can't/won't consider, so why not have our franchise RB ready to rumble in '17?

It takes some time for outside linebackers and offensive linemen to develop at the pro level. It's a lot different with running backs as rookies, even mid- to late-round picks, are able to have an immediate impact.

BTW I would be fine with adding a running back on day 3 of the draft but first I want the Packers to address their positions of need, mainly DL and ILB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Personally, I don't think there is a crisis at RB yet and your theory assumes that Henry is a franchise RB. He could very well be a bust as well. I understand contingency plans, but we just shelled a lot of money out for Starks and have the promises of a new and improved Lacy, which IMO are warranted. Lacy playing out of shape had a direct effect on his game last year, it was obvious, but playing in an offense that was dysfunctional didn't help either. If Lacy flames out or lights it up and we don't resign him, then we do the same thing we did in 2012, draft the next franchise RB.

That #2 pick could very well bring us an immediate and/or long term contributor on defense, the side of the ball I think we need it the most to go the distance in 2016 and beyond.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's the reasoning behind drafting a player early who will most likely end up being third on the depth chart and not getting many snaps next season instead of addressing a position in need of an upgrade on top of the depth chart???

Even if Lacy walks in free agency next year the 2017 draft would be the right time to address the position.
If your greatest need is Punter, do you take him in Rd 1? Last year showed more than ever, you can never fully depend on the availability of any player. I don't believe BAP even exists as a philosphy for GM's. You would just as easily draft 7 DE's in a given draft as any other breakdown of players if that was the only criteria. It is always mingled with position value and team needs, otherwise, why ever trade up or down? Having said that, drafting Position of Need is equally a myth, or more accurately, equally unwise. You can't take the best ILB left in Rd 1 if he only has Rd 4 talent (an extreme example I know).

Now, put this into your mind. What if you could draft the next Jerry Rice in Rd. 1. Do you take a pass on him because you have depth at WR just so you can get Ragland you need an upgrade at ILB or do you go for the hall of famer to put next to Jordy and Cobb and then go lights out?

It would be nice to have the best running game, the best passing game, the best run defense, the best special teams and the best scoring defense all on the same team but that pretty much doesn't happen. I think we need to grab the best guy out there that can make his position one of the best in the NFL. The rest of the team ain't too shabby right now and even if we don't get our ILB in Rd. 1 we should still be able to upgrade it in later rounds anyway.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had my knee scoped on Tuesday so I've got a bit of time to sit and ponder wild stuff here. Got to fill the next 27+ days of boredom with something. Anybody else have any crazy scenarios runnin through your noggins you feel you gotta cut loose?

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Derrick, I just like the thought of him running into the opposing Backers for half the game then let a slimmed down Lacy run past them. Besides, everyone was complaining about not having anyone to pick up that 3rd and 1 from the 1 last year. Gotta figure Derrick should be good for at least that much. So what, 6-8 TD's per year just from the 1 yard line.

D

Deleted member 6794

If your greatest need is Punter, do you take him in Rd 1? Last year showed more than ever, you can never fully depend on the availability of any player. I don't believe BAP even exists as a philosphy for GM's. You would just as easily draft 7 DE's in a given draft as any other breakdown of players if that was the only criteria. It is always mingled with position value and team needs, otherwise, why ever trade up or down? Having said that, drafting Position of Need is equally a myth, or more accurately, equally unwise. You can't take the best ILB left in Rd 1 if he only has Rd 4 talent (an extreme example I know).

Now, put this into your mind. What if you could draft the next Jerry Rice in Rd. 1. Do you take a pass on him because you have depth at WR just so you can get Ragland you need an upgrade at ILB or do you go for the hall of famer to put next to Jordy and Cobb and then go lights out?

It would be nice to have the best running game, the best passing game, the best run defense, the best special teams and the best scoring defense all on the same team but that pretty much doesn't happen. I think we need to grab the best guy out there that can make his position one of the best in the NFL. The rest of the team ain't too shabby right now and even if we don't get our ILB in Rd. 1 we should still be able to upgrade it in later rounds anyway.

As I've mentioned repeatedly I believe the best draft approach is selecting the player presenting the most value to a team, with position of need factoring into a pick. It's rare that a player clearly graded above all others is still left on the board (Rodgers being one example) and in these cases teams absolutely have to pick that guy.

I have a hard time believing that a running back will end up being the clear-cut best player available in the second round of this year's draft though, especially with a of talent available on the defensive line.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly I believe the best draft approach is selecting the player presenting the most value to a team, with position of need factoring into a pick. It's rare that a player clearly graded above all others is still left on the board (Rodgers being one example) and in these cases teams absolutely have to pick that guy.

I have a hard time believing that a running back will end up being the clear-cut best player available in the second round of this year's draft though, especially with a of talent available on the defensive line.
WIMM - Who you have us grabbing in Rd 1?

Latest posts