Bates/tackling/rookies

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You already see Jim Bates putting his stamp on this defense. My friends, mark my words....in time, this is going to be an outstanding defense. For the first time since the Holmgren Super Bowl years, Green Bay is going to have a "stop anybody" kind of team. Not right away, but by the end of the season, this defense could be special.

The thing that jumped out at me first was the tackling. It still isn't there yet...but you can see that it has been a priority in training camp.
If you remember the grabbing and missing from last year, you saw little of that. I think Barnett is going to have a major year. This defense allows him to run and destroy which is what he does best.

I like the idea of putting guys like Hawkins and Collins on the firing line and letting them see what they can do. Both of these guys have the physical ability to be something special.

I'm already smirking at all the know-it-alls who laughed at Ted Thompson's draft. I haven't seen one stink it up rookie yet, and several that just might be major finds. Montgomery could become a starter. On offense Whittaker played most of the night at right guard.

I'm not going to make too much of this(the Chargers hardly played any of their starters---Tomlinson for one--) but I simply see the ATTITUDE has changed on the defensive side of the ball. That was the first step. Correcting the bad tackling was the second...and finding players to make plays was the third.

I'm encouraged after seeing this game, albeit preseason. But when they next play the Bills it's going to be different than the scrimmage. I'm picking the Bills for the Super Bowl in the AFC...this is a good team and the Packers will need to show they can at least play with them.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to agree. You can't say "it's just preseason" enough times, and although the defense didn't exactly dominate, it seemed like they showed signs.

D-line still has troubles (they DO need Grady), I'm not sure about Barnett at MLB, but I'm actually excited to see what the 2ndary can do. Hawkins is QUICK, and I saw some signs of Collins hitting ability last night. Throw in the vets, and you have to have a few strong candidates!

Tackling...I noticed that too, well, more that I didn't notice the crappy Sharper-esque tackling.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
For the tackling I'd like to see more wrap up throw downs instead of this trying to be a missile an lowering your head and shoulder an hope you knock him off his feet and if you dont he runs for another 20yds.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Agree Navies take down was nice, but the problem was it was Sproles. The guy is 5'6" 135 lbs. He should have taken him down.

The speed and angle of Navies was good though.

Reaction score
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but the only time I saw Carroll make a tackle, his form looked quite good. He got down properly and actually looked to have improved. Good to see improvements coming along. No one expects overnight changes, but this is a solid foundation to build upon.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Things appear headed in the right direction. But I am still going to hold my excitement until the middle of the season, just as I was when things didn't look so good against Buffalo. Keep it going Mr. Bates. :cross:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree you can already see Bates signature on this defense and thank God for that. Tackles and being in position to make a play last year simply didn't seem to matter to anyone. I saw the pained look on Bates face last night when someone missed a play or didn't make a tackle. You know those things are important to him and he will make a difference.

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did think that overall the tackling looked better, but Barnett did seem to miss a couple tackles one of which was on third down when he could have laid out the RB in the flat and instead totally whiffed. Those are plays we can't afford to not make in the regular season.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did think that overall the tackling looked better, but Barnett did seem to miss a couple tackles one of which was on third down when he could have laid out the RB in the flat and instead totally whiffed. Those are plays we can't afford to not make in the regular season.

That topped with Carroll still getting defensive holding penalties, still gonna kill our ability to stop drives. Carroll did have one last night that I saw, he may have had more.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Mr. Carroll will be playing very much for Mr. Bates if the holding doesn't stop, 1st round pick or not.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I agree you can already see Bates signature on this defense and thank God for that. Tackles and being in position to make a play last year simply didn't seem to matter to anyone. I saw the pained look on Bates face last night when someone missed a play or didn't make a tackle. You know those things are important to him and he will make a difference.

I agree, packedhouse. I would expect Bates to work on correcting the mistakes the defense made against SanDiego and look for some improvement each week during the pre-season.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense did seem to have a little more zip than last season's defense, but only a little. I'm cautious because the defense looked good in the preseason last year too. What I didn't like was how many times they let the Chargers off the hook on third down.

My favorite thing about this defense so far is that it puts a lot of emphasis on the linebackers. It's fun to watch linebackers fly around and hit people instead of waiting for the play to come to them, which seemed to be the case in previous years.

A potential problem is the gap between KGB and the DT to his left, which the Chargers exploited on their first two plays from scrimmage. There is plenty of time to fix this, but it could become a nagging problem because KGB can get pushed way outside by those big tackles.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meanwhile over in Minnesota, I seen Sharper chasing Priest Holmes 20 yards downfield tonight before finally pushing him out of bounds. :)

I liked the way the defense seemed to be attacking more instead of just reacting. They semed more active. But I was concerned the way the D-line was getting pushed around at times. But it's a little early yet, so I want to see a couple of more games.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good positive postings on this topic. The Packers defense is a "work in progress". This is third defense scheme with three different defensive coordinators in three years. and includes many new players. It will take time to" mesh" and will have growing pains. it is way too early in training camp to make any kind of a conclusion on it effectiveness. so far there are early signs of improvement. Be patient with this '05 team, it just may prove some of the national sports wriiters and negative poster on Packer Forum wrong. As Joe Thiesman said over Green Bay 107.5 Sports call in show the other day. You can never count a Green Bay Packer team led by Brett Farve out of the Super Bowl "hunt".

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Meanwhile over in Minnesota, I seen Sharper chasing Priest Holmes 20 yards downfield tonight before finally pushing him out of bounds. :)

LOL!! He'll be chasing Green, Driver, and Walker all the way to the end zone. :lol:

eire5199

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another encouraging thing is that by all accounts they were playing a very basic defense. As they add in wrinkles to confuse the offense and disguise coverages, it should only improve their overall performance.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does the new Bates Defense setup - as it stands now - remind anyone of (say...) 1994?

It does me - And, if Colin Cole (90) and a few others start getting their feet planted - I'd say the only thing missing is the Reggie White arm-sweep move.... Watch for someone to attempt that tactic this year... If Cole and James Lee turn it up, Grady may find himself without any chance to play at all.... which would negate his option demand for a bigger contract, especially since he's already 32 - quite a few DT/Nose Tackles don't last that long in the NFL. Their weight hampers their health.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Does the new Bates Defense setup - as it stands now - remind anyone of (say...) 1994?

It does me - And, if Colin Cole (90) and a few others start getting their feet planted - I'd say the only thing missing is the Reggie White arm-sweep move.... Watch for someone to attempt that tactic this year... If Cole and James Lee turn it up, Grady may find himself without any chance to play at all.... which would negate his option demand for a bigger contract, especially since he's already 32 - quite a few DT/Nose Tackles don't last that long in the NFL. Their weight hampers their health.

I've read Butler is reminded by Bates of Shurmur.

I was only 14yrs old so I can't say if this reminds me of 94, but I sure hope so cuz that means we're in for a exciting next couple of years!

Wait, wasn't 94 the year Sharpe held out the DAY BEFORE the season was to start???

kuston

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is a surprise to me, great range for the safety, the rest of the draft picks are still bench fodder this year. Remember a month ago I posted Cole would make the team and be in the regular rotation, but he better start holding his ground for that to happen. He gets moved off the ball to far for this defense. Watching Roman this year clearly shows to me how messed up our Defensive coaching was last year. I am very pleasantly surprised. I hope Kampman is just in cruise control mode these days, because he didn't have any impact in the game thursday night or the practice last week. I still wonder if he can be effective in this defense? Tauscher thinks he can be, so I'm hopeful. I think the LBs will be fine, KGB and the DTs will be ok, the DBs will be very effective in this D. I still think a top 10 D is possible if the offense has a good year and lets the D play with a lead alot.

Members online

Latest posts