Bates Poll

Is Jim Bates the guy to revive the Packers' defense?

• Heck yeah! Packers are going to Super Bowl XXXX!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but it will take a couple years to make it work.

• He's OK I guess.

• At least they got Slowik out of there!

• Who the heck is this Jim Bates guy everyone is talking about?

• Total voters

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what you guys thought about Bate's hiring. I think our D will show an amazing improvement. He's led 5 straight top 10 defenses. Why not make it 6?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
Let me say... anything has to be an improvement over last year. This mans record speaks for its self and at this point change is what the packer defense needed.

AGREED - I took choice number 2!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After hearing some of his comments today, I wish the season could start now. I can't wait to see what he can do with this defense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
After hearing some of his comments today, I wish the season could start now. I can't wait to see what he can do with this defense.

Me neither, I want the draft asap so i can re do my roster on madden lol

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so you guys get a real flavor of this new DC..

If you haven't already visited Packers.com to read the next (in-a-series) article about Jim Bates...? Then, read this....

Bates Ready To Lay Defensive Foundation

from the article said:
"The number one thing that we will do is we will be a solid, sound, foundation football team that will play excellent technique and will be a good open-field tackling, swarm-the-football team. That's one thing I can promise you - foundation, techniques, swarm the tackle, and be a good tackling football team."

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From PackersNews Members login view....

Posted Jan. 26, 2005
Chris Havel
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bates sounds like the right man for the defense

Jim Bates made a strong first impression.

The Green Bay Packers

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can keep most of this team together Bates could make all the difference next year I think. The Offence was very good and I think that with a couple of changes on defence and the guys they have living up to their potential and being coached properly (NOW), we can score more points than the other guys 13 out of 16 tries.

Later
Leopardmech

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't wait for the draft,and see who we get on the defensive side.This next season will be really interesting,if Favre returns. :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :pals:

OP
OP
B

BrettFavre4MVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't wait for the draft either! and just for the record, i think with all the coaching changes, favre is going to stay at least one more season.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense will definately be better, at least a top 15.

There could be another angle to his hiring too.

Sherman's contract is up after next season. If he doesn't come back, you have a very capable replacement in Jim Bates. Remember, as interm head coach, he went 3-4. That may not sound like much, but it was three wins with the Dolfins who started 1-8.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
monkeyracer43 said:
The Packers defense will definately be better, at least a top 15.

that sounds pretty optimistic. a great coach is only one piece of the puzzle. we still need the personel imo, lets hope this offseason is plentiful in that department.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, the "players win games, not coaches" analogy. People usually follow that up by mentioning something about how it's not the coaching staff that's making blocks or tackles. But wouldn't that be funny to see, in a huge game, someone like Sherman running out on to the field to take down the would be scorer of the opponents game winning TD? :mrgreen:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JD said:
Exactly, the "players win games, not coaches" analogy. People usually follow that up by mentioning something about how it's not the coaching staff that's making blocks or tackles. But wouldn't that be funny to see, in a huge game, someone like Sherman running out on to the field to take down the would be scorer of the opponents game winning TD? :mrgreen:

bill cowher almost did that in 2001 against the pats. after i saw that, i always wondered what would happen...free 7 i suppose.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That has happened in college games before. They play the highlights on ESPN and bloopers shows here and there. I don't know what the call would be though, I don't think they have ever said. I would suppose it would be a TD.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JD said:
in a huge game, someone like Sherman running out on to the field to take down the would be scorer of the opponents game winning TD? :mrgreen:

At the spot of the tackle, 15 yd unsportsman like conduct penalty. Probably have the coach ejected too.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the spot of the tackle, 15 yd unsportsman like conduct penalty
There is a lot of times where that would like like a good idea if that was the only penalty you got. Think if someone was making a long kickoff return, the 15yd penalty would be better than him running all the way.

Later
Leopardmech

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
leopardmech said:
At the spot of the tackle, 15 yd unsportsman like conduct penalty
There is a lot of times where that would like like a good idea if that was the only penalty you got. Think if someone was making a long kickoff return, the 15yd penalty would be better than him running all the way.

Later
Leopardmech

exactly...if that was the case, it would be smart to just send a bench player out there to stop a td.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts