bates out as HC

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
Sherman hired him so I am not really surprised. I thought Bates was a good choice but I guess there is some miracle coach out there I am unaware of.

maybe jim didn't have the right offensive scheme to keep TT happy

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the feeling TT has already interviewed the guy he wants. I think that is why he moved Bates interview up. It sure as hell better not be Wade Phillips. I feel bad for Bates. There is no way he stays on as DC.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he leaves his assistants will leave with him. The offensive assistants are waiting to see what their futures are.

I sure am glad this is a well thought out process and someone better than Sherman was in mind.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Depack he wont stay here, he does not deserve that treatment and TT does not deserve a coach as Bates.

I think he is rude to people, I mean he was rude to Shermy and he doesnt deserved that because as bad or as good coach as he can be he is a very nice human being, Bates deserved better treatment also.

If he goes this way to Brett maybe Brett will tell him to stick it up his *** and I will be on #4 side 100%.

TT better have a hidden miracle maker otherwise I will be very dissapointed but I will remain a faithfull Packer fan !!!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
No Depack he wont stay here, he does not deserve that treatment and TT does not deserve a coach as Bates.

I think he is rude to people, I mean he was rude to Shermy and he doesnt deserved that because as bad or as good coach as he can be he is a very nice human being, Bates deserved better treatment also.

If he goes this way to Brett maybe Brett will tell him to stick it up his *** and I will be on #4 side 100%.

TT better have a hidden miracle maker otherwise I will be very dissapointed but I will remain a faithfull Packer fan !!!!!

bates doesnt deserve that treament? a HC job in the NFL si one of the best jobs ever, only 32 people in the world get the job, and TT didnt think bates would fit. Its not like he **** in his bag or something, jesus christ.

TT was rude to shermy? he gave sherman the same 'fired' speech sherman gave to donattell....double standards are fun.

I wanted bates too, and i am upset he wont be with the team next year, but...jesus christ you guys are vicious for no reason. He didnt hire herm edwards either, or mooch, lets hate him for that, or other things he DOESNT do.

I just think we should cool down on the TT hating just cuz bates is gone. When he hires a HC and DC and OC, and they turn out to be ******, yeah it makes sense to rip his nuts off..but he hasnt done anything except NOT hire someone.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On ESPN Radio in Chicago , John Clayton said that Jim Bates is going to be the Packers next head coach and look for it to be official by this weekend.

Whose right here?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I just think we should cool down on the TT hating just cuz bates is gone"

TT hating seemed to be in full progress before this trom, he has not helped his image at all with this move and you know it. Even you can only defend a guy for so long trom. Now we made need a new head coach better then Sherman, a defensive coach better then Bates and possibly a QB better then Brett.

OH YEAH....Let's not question the UNTOUCHABLE TED ?

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
bates doesnt deserve that treament? a HC job in the NFL si one of the best jobs ever, only 32 people in the world get the job, and TT didnt think bates would fit. Its not like he **** in his bag or something, jesus christ.

TT was rude to shermy? he gave sherman the same 'fired' speech sherman gave to donattell....double standards are fun.

I wanted bates too, and i am upset he wont be with the team next year, but...jesus christ you guys are vicious for no reason. He didnt hire herm edwards either, or mooch, lets hate him for that, or other things he DOESNT do.

I just think we should cool down on the TT hating just cuz bates is gone. When he hires a HC and DC and OC, and they turn out to be ******, yeah it makes sense to rip his nuts off..but he hasnt done anything except NOT hire someone.

I agree, I am very disappointed that Bates won't be the HC next year, but I'm not going to turn into a TT hater because of this. TT knows what he is doing. He is much closer to the action than any of us are. All we know is that Bates is an awesome DC. History has shown that being a good coordinator doesn't necessarily make you a good HC. Maybe that's the case here. I just hope that the guy who becomes the HC has the brains to keep Bates as the DC if he's still available.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." - Philip of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great
Allow me to illustrate Chamuko's Signature...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
tromadz said:

I agree, I am very disappointed that Bates won't be the HC next year, but I'm not going to turn into a TT hater because of this. TT knows what he is doing. He is much closer to the action than any of us are. All we know is that Bates is an awesome DC. History has shown that being a good coordinator doesn't necessarily make you a good HC. Maybe that's the case here. I just hope that the guy who becomes the HC has the brains to keep Bates as the DC if he's still available.

good post. GM and management know a lot more of the situations than we do, which is why i always give management the benefit of the doubt(in all sports, and of the teams i like). I dont think bates will come back though, he sounds like hes gonna look for another job, and that makes sense. Maybe one of the defensive assistants will get the job. Th D-line coach seemed to do ok with what many felt was a bad defensive line. just throwing it out there.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy San Francisco OC, he does not look like a HC to me..

He was QB coach under Ray Rhodes Believe it or not!!!! just because of this I wouldnt even interview him.

I have had that bad feeling that he might be offered the job.. I hope I am wrong and in case he is offered the job I hope I am wrong about him,

Dark horse enters coaching derby
Packers interview 49ers' McCarthy
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Jan. 8, 2006
Of all the candidates being considered for the Green Bay Packers' head-coaching job, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy has flown lowest beneath the radar.

But for those who think he's a courtesy interview based on his ties to the organization, his credentials should be considered.

McCarthy, 42, became the fourth National Football League assistant coach to interview with general manager Ted Thompson, spending almost the entire day at Packers headquarters Sunday after arriving in Green Bay late Saturday afternoon. He is one of three offensive coordinators Thompson has on his shopping list and the only one to have worked in the Packers' organization.

According to one NFL personnel director, McCarthy is a strong candidate for the Packers' position despite hardly ever being mentioned in media circles. The Packers are the only team to request permission from the 49ers to interview McCarthy, but other teams have sent out feelers, according to another NFL source.

McCarthy's agent, Gary O'Hagan, said Sunday that McCarthy had a "terrific" interview with Thompson, but he said he didn't know where his client stood on Thompson's list. He said one thing he was sure of was that McCarthy had left an impression with those still in the organization during his year as quarterbacks coach under Ray Rhodes in 1999.

"That's important," O'Hagan said. "He has a relationship with people there who know what he's capable of."

Thompson was personnel director under former general manager Ron Wolf during McCarthy's season in Green Bay and undoubtedly remembered Wolf's respect for McCarthy's ability. McCarthy also worked with personnel analyst John Schneider and the late Mark Hatley, the team's former vice president of football operations, in Kansas City before coming to the Packers.

McCarthy grew up in the West Coast offense, first learning it from Bill Walsh disciple Paul Hackett at the University of Pittsburgh (1979-'82) and then with the Chiefs, for whom Hackett became offensive coordinator. He has coached the system wherever he has gone in the NFL and has specialized in working with quarterbacks.

As a quality control assistant in Kansas City, McCarthy spent a year working with Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana and then, in 1999, he coached Brett Favre during one of Favre's toughest seasons. Favre gutted out a sprained thumb suffered in an exhibition game and forged three last-minute comeback victories early in the season, but ultimately he finished with the third-lowest quarterback rating of his career and completed a career-low 57.3% of his passes.

After Rhodes was fired, McCarthy went to New Orleans, where he was eventually named offensive coordinator and played a big role in the development of quarterback Aaron Brooks, a former Packer. McCarthy coached Brooks and current Seattle starter Matt Hasselbeck while in Green Bay.

McCarthy regularly runs an off-season quarterback school where fundamentals are stressed. Hasselbeck credited those workouts for his early success. Known as a no-nonsense straight shooter, McCarthy butted heads with Brooks for five seasons in New Orleans and got mixed results from him.

As soon as McCarthy left for San Francisco, Brooks' numbers dropped dramatically and he was benched as the starter this season. McCarthy was thought to be the one person in the organization who would stand up to Brooks and criticize him when he made mistakes.

"Mike's two great strengths are that he's a great offensive coach and he has a great demeanor," O'Hagan said.

Under McCarthy, the Saints' offense ranked 10th in 2000 and 2001, 19th in 2002, 11th in 2003 and 15th in 2004.

McCarthy left the Saints after the 2004 season, some say because he didn't feel supported in his dealings with Brooks and thought a change was necessary.

This season, the 49ers had one of their worst years in club history on offense and McCarthy took some grief from the fans for it.

But San Francisco traded its most experienced quarterback, Tim Rattay, early in the season, lost No. 1 pick Alex Smith to an injury in Week 7 and was devoid of talent at wide receiver and running back.

Thompson's interview odyssey continues today with San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips at the Packers' facility. Thompson is expected to try to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis Tuesday or Wednesday.

Pittsburgh offensive line coach Russ Grimm is also on the list but it's unclear when he will interview. Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates will interview at midweek.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Chamuko said:
"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." - Philip of Macedon, father of Alexander the Great
Allow me to illustrate Chamuko's Signature...

I hope you are right Lambeau and I will send a letter to TT excusing me for not being a believer on him after 2006 season if he turns out to be right, maybe he is a genius who knows !!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
trom....did you feel this way when Mike Sherman was management?

I did. When Sherm brought in Slowik, i was nothing but smiles and hope. He was a supposedly proven DC, been around, and was going to make Darren Sharper the focus point of the defense. there was hope, and some reason for it, and I gave sherm, aka management, the benefit of the doubt. I did it again when Bates came on, but that time his numbers(his miami stats) were good enough to speak for himself, i didnt have to hear sherm talk about how good he was.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
I hope you are right Lambeau and I will send a letter to TT excusing me for not being a believer on him after 2006 season if he turns out to be right, maybe he is a genius who knows !!!

I think you misunderstand my point of view...

TT = a deer
+
Packers = lions
=
Not Good

Reaction score
Trom, I do agree with you that it looks like Bates is looking for another HC job. No doubt it will be akward coming face to face with TT for a while if Bates does return to GB.

If Bates leaves, you can officially say that TT is in re-building mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts