1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bates named Packer Defensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by gotarace27, Jan 24, 2005.

1. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    ESPN is scrolling in the bottom line that the Packers have named Jim Bates as defensive coordinator. This has to be the best news i have heard all off season. What the hell they going to do with Slow-Wit??? Hope he is on the next train out.
    Now if Brett returns and we get some quality defensive help in the draft and F.A. It could look very good in packer land next year.

2. eastcoastpacker

eastcoastpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    This is great news!! I thought I heard Slowik was going back to DB's coach.You would think that he would be able to bring in some of his own. :wall: :beersign: :pals:

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
  4. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No offense taken............ the ESPN artical said that we are keeping Slow-Wit as defensive backs coach. This is a true horses a$$ move by Sherman. Now we have two demoted coaches on the Packer staff. If they don't extend Shermans contract, the Packers may be showing their hand on who the next head coach may be.... Mr. Bates!!!

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Thats what I'm thinking too, that bates will take over as coach next year.

6. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Bates as HC - ? Interesting line of thought. I've simply been worrying about what TT would do next. Worrying about AMS (After Mike Sherman) wasn't on my list of things to do. Although, the current thinking is that Mikey may, in fact, get that extension after all. He does have the fourth best Coaching record at Green Bay - 'Course, we have yet to hear any of the rumblings from TT's chat with Brett Favre, either. Wouldn't ya luv to be a fly on the wall at Brett's place during that one....!!?!!

Bates takes over as DC... now, how the hell do we replace the OC? THAT's where the trouble begins.. playing waaaay too conservative and with no imagination at all. Church football is NOT "Packer Football" Just ask Willie Davis the next time ya run into him! He'll tell ya outright.

What's next?

7. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Although guys........ the headlines do read.....

Bates "may" go to Green Bay

It's NOT official just yet.... Let's not jump the gun here....

8. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Go watch the bottom line on ESPN, i'm sure they wouldn't put it on the tv if it wasn't fact.

9. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Normally, I'd agree with ya.. but this last season everyone's out there noticing how much Sports rumor ESPN has been pushing as fact, in order to "create news"...

I appreciate the sentiment, really - but I'll wait for Green Bay to make it official.
    Remember, Bates is in line for the HC job at Cleveland, as well.
    Nothing's being mentioned about New England's coaching staff, is there (I'm not in front of my TV)..?

10. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess your right IPBprez, they did report on tv that Al Gore had won Florida also!!!LOL :mrgreen:

11. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    You forgot to mention he ALSO invented the Internet... but you nailed it anyway!

:eek:mg:

12. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Crennel is gonna be the HC at Clevend. I'll see if I can find the link that stated 'sources' know this if I can.

13. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers.com is reporting that it's official that Bates has been named DC.
    Gotta Race , hold onto your horses, I doubt that Slowik will stay in any capacity. If you got bitch slapped like that would you stick around.

14. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers.com is reporting that it's official that Bates has been named DC.
    Gotta Race , hold onto your horses, I doubt that Slowik will stay in any capacity. If you got bitch slapped like that would you stick around.

15. ldlehrer

ldlehrer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the move. I think Bates will be a much better DC than we had since Fritz. I really loved Fritz and the talent he coached.
    I would still keep Mike Sherman. I think he is a top 10 head coach in the NFL and a very good play caller. I thought the Packers needed a new GM and a new DC and they probably have quality in both.
    Go Packers!

16. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The only answer i have to that is why wouldn't he stay? Knowone else in there right mind would give him a job!!!LOL :lol:

17. leopardmech

leopardmech Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the moves the team is making in regards to the GM and coaches, I just hope when they get around to the players that we haven't run out of good news. Has Miami got any available defenders that Bates could steal for us?

Later
    Leopardmech

18. sixone220

sixone220 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    when i saw that i had packers news waiting in my email i could only hope this was the news.....whoooooooooohoooooooooooo. as for slowik, i read something that if he took over in GB he would get full reign over his staff. let's hope so.

as for the OC, remember when sherm called the hb pass vs det? now that was fun. i gimmick play all yr. sad. maybe each team is only allowed a certain amount and martz is using all ours.

19. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The defense has some personnel issues, but I still thought Slowik was the biggest weakness on defense. I thought the question and answer below in a Packer chat made an interesting point about his contract. It stated:

Charlie, San Francisco: Hey Dylan -- Do you think Jim Bates may have possibly taken this DC job in Green Bay with any ambitious outside hopes that a lame-duck HC Sherman may be replaced 1 year from now?

Dylan Tomlinson: I agree with that... To get a guy like Bates, the Packers will probably have had to give him a three-year contract which means he has better job security than Sherman.

20. eastcoastpacker

eastcoastpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Things are starting to look up for next year already! Now let him replace anyone on the D he wants.I think in the draft we will get alot of Defensive players in the early rounds.Hope so.

21. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    The only O person I think we need is possibly a tight end but I read the Packers are high on some TE we have already, I forget his name, McHugh maybe? Dunno.

22. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good thought. Sherman is not a bad coach, just a bad GM and the two jobs were too much. Let's give him a chance to see what he can do in this role.

23. gotarace27

gotarace27 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Picked this clip out of a JS article, its nice to see Mr. bates bringing some of his staff along. Maybe Bob Sanders can teach our linebackers what their assignments are and how to stay home. Nick Barnett looked like a rookie again this year and was out of position to make plays more times than not. :mrgreen:

An NFL source said Bob Sanders, the Dolphins

24. KilrB

KilrB Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +99
    ESPN was wildly reported that it was a tradition of mooning in GB just because Tony Dungy said it was. I still have to hear any actual confirmation that this is indeed a fact.

ESPN like any other media source is eager to jump on a news grabbing headline without any regards to truth. More so when the price of repercussions is low like it is in these 2 situations.