Bates meeting with McCarthy Friday

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to the press conference, McCarthy will meet with Bates (and other coaches) tomorrow.

I hope this goes well, and he says "STAY, JIM! STAY!!!!!"

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
According to the press conference, McCarthy will meet with Bates (and other coaches) tomorrow.

I am with you on that one tromadz. Though we must face that the other part of meeting with at least some of the coaches will be their severence pay.

They have a shot with Bates -- he is under contract, and if they show him respect and offer the right raise they may retain him. Esp. if they give him an easy escape clause if a HC opportunity arises.

Retaining Bates, I think we all agree would be great News.

If he goes, getting this hire done relatively early gives McCarthy a shot at getting some talented Defensive coaches, but retaining Bates and some of his staff would be great.

It will help if Sherman decides to sit for awhile and not take the Saints job that I am sure is his for the taking if he wants it. Bates and Sherman like each other a lot. Sherman would fight hard to get Bates to go with him if he can not land a Head Coaching job

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I guess I am so with you on this one that it bore repeating :D

tromadz said:

I am with you on that one tromadz. Though we must face that the other part of meeting with at least some of the coaches will be their severence pay.

They have a shot with Bates -- he is under contract, and if they show him respect and offer the right raise they may retain him. Esp. if they give him an easy escape clause if a HC opportunity arises.

Retaining Bates, I think we all agree would be great News.

If he goes, getting this hire done relatively early gives McCarthy a shot at getting some talented Defensive coaches, but retaining Bates and some of his staff would be great.

It will help if Sherman decides to sit for awhile and not take the Saints job that I am sure is his for the taking if he wants it. Bates and Sherman like each other a lot. Sherman would fight hard to get Bates to go with him if he/bates can not land a Head Coaching job

I hope it goes well, too. The defence has a chance to improve and stabilize the system Bates put in.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to be a fly on the wall during that meeting. I agree that Bates should get a raise and maybe some other perks. It should help that he has worked here for a year with some success, so he should have an interest in continuing with these players. Also, Bates will get plenty of credit if the team succeeds. It's not like he will be overshadowed by the head coach, which would be the case if he was with a head coach who was better known. People would say that Bates started to turn around the defense even before McCarthy arrived.

As for Sherman, I'm not sure if the Saints job is his for the taking. Mike Martz is interviewing on Friday, and he would be a sexier pick for a franchise that will desperately need to put butts in the seats next year if it is going to survive.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy and Bates appears to be a perfect match...kinda like chocolate and peanut butter.

You have the young HC who brings new energy and innovation but who lacks the wisdom of experience, and you have Bates, who would be the perfect complement, as he has wisdom excreting from his pores.

How does DC/Asst. HC sound, Jim?

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates is very disappointed in not being named head coach. I'm not sure anything will get him to stay. Maybe Asst. HC would help.

I hope he stays though. He can do the job. He would be helped by us drafting some talented players for the defense.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nothing yet, and im on the road, so this is the last i can post for the day. I hope its good, post when you find out!

fvre4mvp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about the option of paying him gregg williams money with an exit clause so maybe we could keep him for this year. Since his name hasn't been flying around coaching vacancies he will have something to prove in 06.

Members online

Latest posts