Bates looking less likely

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i heard that his st louis interview went well

everyone(ok, a lot of people) in the league feel bates is a head coach playing DC. He IS old, so his time IS running out...which is why i would feel he would leave soon if he doesnt get a HC job, BUT since his family is in GB and stuff, he might just stay on as DC...i dunno man...as long as he stays in some fashion.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Bates will be our next head coach or he will never be a head coach.

I have heard that Rivera is headed to St. Louis.

What I had just heard on the pre game show here before Bengals/Steelers is that St. Louis is interested in giving the Titans some kinda compensation for Jeff Fisher....................and that Fisher is open to that possibility.

Reaction score
I think Bates deserves this job. (Nice avatar Trom). He has shown he is more than ready by earning the respect of his players in Miama and GB. He is the type of person that I believe Favre would enjoy playing for. Funny, passionate, smart, and an excellent motivator. I think Bates has to be on as at least a DC for the sake of continuity, at least. I'm sorry, but 4 different DC's in 4 years is riddiculous. You cannot expect a solid foundation and success to be established when you have a revolving door.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I think Bates deserves this job. (Nice avatar Trom). He has shown he is more than ready by earning the respect of his players in Miama and GB. He is the type of person that I believe Favre would enjoy playing for. Funny, passionate, smart, and an excellent motivator. I think Bates has to be on as at least a DC for the sake of continuity, at least. I'm sorry, but 4 different DC's in 4 years is riddiculous. You cannot expect a solid foundation and success to be established when you have a revolving door.

thats the only reason i dont want bates has head coach...this defense's head is spinning...between the different coaching schemes and, well, the turn-and-chase motion theyve experienced so many times in those last four seasons...but that number reduced in '05...nice job bates!!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I wont condemn TT if Bates isnt HC(you know, actually having a legit reason, unlike other people here), but if Bates isnt back as DC, then its been a waste. But Bates is well respected by everyone, and if we get a couple vets like Al harris and Year 2 of the bates system for the young guns, and hopefully the bus ride home for peices of **** like ahmad carroll...could be real nice in 06

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bates being last after a private convo with TT is a sign to me that Bates is the front runner. I wasn't there for the convo but I'm guessing it was something of the sort as 'bates ur the leading guy for this job but i cant jus pick the first guy im gonna check whats out there and go from there but i want you to know i think ur the guy and let the best man win'

I would also guess bates agreed to be interviewed last because of his contract with the packers meaning he was told by tt that any coach would have to agree to keep him if he wasn't the hc which this ensures bates employment with the packers as either hc or dc.

I like this premise, seriously - but, there's a possible flaw in the whole shebang about Bates..... He has stated outright, that he has aspirations about being a Head Coach, permanently. Not just part time, or filling in for someone else. That means, he has the right - contract or no - to entertain options over dinner with other teams, at any time.. and I think he's keeping his options open. The option to keep Bates in da house had better be real sweet, or else. Just the same, I like the premise..... Don't forget, Jeff fisher is being sweet talked by the Rams, and he's still under contract with the Titans, too.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Zero2Cool said:
Bates being last after a private convo with TT is a sign to me that Bates is the front runner. I wasn't there for the convo but I'm guessing it was something of the sort as 'bates ur the leading guy for this job but i cant jus pick the first guy im gonna check whats out there and go from there but i want you to know i think ur the guy and let the best man win'

I would also guess bates agreed to be interviewed last because of his contract with the packers meaning he was told by tt that any coach would have to agree to keep him if he wasn't the hc which this ensures bates employment with the packers as either hc or dc.

I like this premise, seriously - but, there's a possible flaw in the whole shebang about Bates..... He has stated outright, that he has aspirations about being a Head Coach, permanently. Not just part time, or filling in for someone else. That means, he has the right - contract or no - to entertain options over dinner with other teams, at any time.. and I think he's keeping his options open. The option to keep Bates in da house had better be real sweet, or else. Just the same, I like the premise..... Don't forget, Jeff fisher is being sweet talked by the Rams, and he's still under contract with the Titans, too.

The flaw is no one is asking about Bates so he would naturally agree to it. I should say, maybe he'd agree to it. He'd have nothing to lose. Of course now if someone was knocking on Bates door you damn well bet TT would do something about it. Err I hope lol

I think the whole private chat was about Bates being a HC and or DC if another HC is brought on board and if people come knocking his door for a HC outside of GB. Then what. I just see it as Bates thinking 'well no ones asking me to be a coach for them, TT wants me here, i want to be here' so he'd be more inclined to work with TT then he would be if he had others asking him to be HC.

Bottom line, no one is calling Bates for HC so obviously he'd be willing to work with TT on a different situation that would keep him in GB as HC or DC.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, word is that several Teams "are" (in fact) asking about Jim Bates. The thing is... that no one (meaning the Packers) will currently mention any names... because 'no actual interviews' have been requested. I didn't say granted, I said 'requested'.... Quite a different matter when you start dissecting the situation. What's more, Bates has made it quite well known that he does covet an HC chair. If no one, this year, actually requests an interview, then your point of view will solidify - otherwise, look out. Remember, the whole season is not yet over. One of the better teams, now in the playoffs may, in fact, have other ideas than what you have.....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats good news if you ask me. People are curious about Bates, but wont request one. Maybe they know something we dont(they do, they are in the business, wea rent). MAYBE they know he is offlimits, and is Gbs guy. MAYBE EVEN as HC. We'll find out in a couple weeks.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Actually, word is that several Teams "are" (in fact) asking about Jim Bates. The thing is... that no one (meaning the Packers) will currently mention any names... because 'no actual interviews' have been requested. I didn't say granted, I said 'requested'.... Quite a different matter when you start dissecting the situation. What's more, Bates has made it quite well known that he does covet an HC chair. If no one, this year, actually requests an interview, then your point of view will solidify - otherwise, look out. Remember, the whole season is not yet over. One of the better teams, now in the playoffs may, in fact, have other ideas than what you have.....

Walk a fine line there don't cha...

No one has interviewed him, no one has set up an interview with him.

Zero interest :(

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would like to see Jeff Fisher in Green Bay...!

(won't happen though...)

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
IPBprez said:

Walk a fine line there don't cha...

No one has interviewed him, no one has set up an interview with him.

Zero interest :(

Z2 - I was 'aping' the comment, totally - it's pretty much what had been reported in an article I read several days ago. The Packers "admitted" there was interest in Jim B, but wouldn't let it out as to exactly which teams they were - WHY? - Packers return comment was what I repeated here.... Let's not quibble... k? Throw that stuff at the Packers.....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed that report seeing I read packers reports daily.

Care to show me the article I missed?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were we lurking (?) -- If I remember correctly, it was in an article on PackersNews Premium - which I usually try and upload here... I'll have to go look. Am I the only one here whose word isn't good enough? You selectively dissecting the group?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams interested in talking to Bates

Thompson is scheduled to interview Bates late next week, and Bates’ agent, Gary O’Hagen, is pushing his client hard for a head-coaching position. O’Hagen said at least two other teams are interested in talking to Bates, but he wouldn’t identify them because they have not set up interviews.

Now - who's quibbling...? It's all part of the normal process and the expected protocol.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Were we lurking (?) -- If I remember correctly, it was in an article on PackersNews Premium - which I usually try and upload here... I'll have to go look. Am I the only one here whose word isn't good enough? You selectively dissecting the group?

Nah I just like you more than the others. You often times have great articles where as others jus throw out rumors upon rumors.

I didn't mean it in a negative way however I know it came off that way as I have re read what I wrote. See I'm trying my best to predict the future and want as much info as possible lol ... im very impatient I wanna know it all :p

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Teams interested in talking to Bates

Thompson is scheduled to interview Bates late next week, and Bates’ agent, Gary O’Hagen, is pushing his client hard for a head-coaching position. O’Hagen said at least two other teams are interested in talking to Bates, but he wouldn’t identify them because they have not set up interviews.

Now - who's quibbling...? It's all part of the normal process and the expected protocol.

Yup I've read that. I just dismissed it because they didn't set up interviews. I mean what kind of interest is that if you dont atleast set up an interview? Doesn't show much interest at all but if thats the line you wanna ride so be it.

My definition of 'interest' would be an interview, not an agent claiming other teams are interested to raise the stake for his client. Remember no one wants something unless someone else wants it. I think thats where we differ on this. :)

Members online

Latest posts