Bates Gone

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Bate Gone

Thanks for letting us know right away, Winnipeg. Very disappointing news, but not surprising. Maybe McCarthy can get one of Bates' position coaches to be DC so it won't be a whole new system for the players.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob Sanders is the name I'm hearing as the new DC. I can't get the presser at work, but I'm listening to WTMJ who promises to break in with the announcement.

MSMOLLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that from what I have heard on sports radio that JB would have had a hard time co-existing with TT and MMc after being passed over for the head coach job

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After hearing the conference all I can say is Bates was a "Class Act" until the end. I don't think this talent will be replaced easily. I wish Mr. Bates all the Best.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, its one of those things where your girlfriend dumps you but wants to remain friends, and it would hurt too much to be around her.

not...not...that i know what thats about. im a playa!

but seriously, jim was respectful, classy....and he had nothing but good things to say about TT and MM so..I hope the "TT and MM secretly fired bates" stuff doesnt surface.

the hunt begins

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously what is the reason for this? The defense was so much better with Bates, and they just let him go like that? THe new DC better be Belichick is all I have to say or I am going to be so pissed. This has ruined my day.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reminds me of our trip to Green Bay in November. We were hanging at the gate for autographs. It was pretty late and not too many more players were leaving. But this older guy pulls up. Not so familiar with all the Packer faces we presumed it was Jim Bates and cautiously inquired. Another woman was walking to her car and gently informed us that was Mr. Harlan... He chatted for a few minutes and signed some autographs too. Very nice guy.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After listening to Jim Bates talk today the Packers did nothing more than Break a Good Mans Heart. I don't think Jim wanted to stay around and make McCarthy look good. Best wishes Jim Bates and i think the Packers made a HUGE mistake not selecting you headcoach.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact I think must be presented: Jim Bates and Mike McCarthy would NOT have been able to coincide. If both men were truthful (which I think they were) then the right decision was made. It stinks it had to be this way becaus e of how good of a coach Jim Bates was, but like they said, I think it is for the best. Just my $.02.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, because even if bates stayed, he probably woulda been gone next year(to HC somewhere)..so it woulda been a 2 year stay. lets get someone in who will stay, work with what we have, let TT continue to clean up shermans GM mess, and get some quality players, and do their thing.

but good luck to bates, he seemed down, sounds like he has some HC jobs to look at though! McCarthy vs Bates in 2006! UHOH!

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully MM can find a good DC. Bates probably wants to follow Sherman so he can take over as HC after Sherman gets canned again.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol

but actually, our defense is probably pretty decent at adapting to new DCs. ITS HAPPENED EVERY YEAR for the last 4 years. This is probably as regular to them as running laps by now.

Members online

Latest posts