Bates being mentioned for Detroit HC position

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just speculation, but I doubt and hope that Bates would not leave, especially if TT makes movement to get a star player for our D.

If he left that would put us with our 4th defensive coordinator in 4 years - something the Packers really don't need right now.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's ok....everybody calm down..

I'm sure Sherman could sweet talk his ol' buddy Slowick to come back and be DC for the GB Packers....(and throw the bank at him to boot...)

(and I'm sure everybody here would be fine with that..right? Since we don't want to be "negative" Packer fans....Anything Sherman does is fine with us....everybody on board?)

Relax..everyone...Mikey's in control.....

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I'm sure Sherman could sweet talk his ol' buddy Slowick to come back and be DC for the GB Packers....(and throw the bank at him to boot...)

(and I'm sure everybody here would be fine with that..right? Since we don't want to be "negative" Packer fans....Anything Sherman does is fine with us....everybody on board?)

Oh NOOOOO! YOU don't flame...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66.....the voice of reason!!! Thanks Buddy! Actually, if Bates left you'd have to start ripping TT, not Sherman. Will you be able to adjust your posts? I don't think TT has a fat ***, so you better start looking for some personal physical flaw now......you don't want to be caught off guard.

I'm just here to help.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not one of the fire Sherman crew, but if Bates has the opportunity to become a head coach elsewhere, I think we really need to offer him the job and bring in an OC who runs the same offense we run now. I think that Bates is getting a little too much credit, but the fact remains he's a solid defensive coach who (and whose staff) we can't afford to lose.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gotarace27 said:
Not good news at all. This could make the Packers play their hand a bit faster if the talks get to serious. We need to keep Jim Bates in green bay.

that would be very bad news indeed. hold on to bates. thompson better not be a bonehead to let him slip.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT won't let Bates go. If anything Bates will be the head coach of THIS Packers team before the Detroit Losers.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bates very much wants to be a head coach, and at his age, he won't get consideration for much longer, so I think he would take the job if it was offered.

It's irritating to read about Matt Millen being given an NFL franchise to play around with. I read in the Detroit Free Press that he eats dinner with the Fords every week and the Fords like it that Millen is a "family man" who shuttles back and forth from Michigan to Pennsylvania so he can do his job and still be with his family. The Fords don't seem to be too interested in winning as long as there are butts in the seats.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cannot win without great defense. Bates is a great defensive coordinator. Remember, if you make him head coach of the Packers he won't be the defensive coordinator.

Here is the truth about GB. This team is in dire straights. We lack talent in a lot of areas. We're poorly coaches and by and large, poorly prepared. We've had way too many injuries, but take all those injuries away and I'm not sure we're that much better.

Having said that, Thompson has some big time decisions to make. Does he feel this team is in good hands with Sherman? Does he believe we're on the right track? Can he draft enough quality players to turn this team around next year?

If I were in Thompson's shoes I would have fired Sherman already and would have elevated Bates to head coach and audition him and see what he can do. Instead he holds on to Sherman and now he has Bates possibly looking at Detroit and may end up losing out on Marriucci. I loved it when Wolf came in and canned Infante and turned the team over to a young coach who had the heart of a lion.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
You cannot win without great defense. Bates is a great defensive coordinator. Remember, if you make him head coach of the Packers he won't be the defensive coordinator.

Here is the truth about GB. This team is in dire straights. We lack talent in a lot of areas. We're poorly coaches and by and large, poorly prepared. We've had way too many injuries, but take all those injuries away and I'm not sure we're that much better.

Having said that, Thompson has some big time decisions to make. Does he feel this team is in good hands with Sherman? Does he believe we're on the right track? Can he draft enough quality players to turn this team around next year?

If I were in Thompson's shoes I would have fired Sherman already and would have elevated Bates to head coach and audition him and see what he can do. Instead he holds on to Sherman and now he has Bates possibly looking at Detroit and may end up losing out on Marriucci. I loved it when Wolf came in and canned Infante and turned the team over to a young coach who had the heart of a lion.

With all due respect, are the Packers that ill-prepared? I don't know. I mean, if the players could simply hang on to the football, catch the football, not throw the football to the opposing team, make some clutch FG's this season, we would be headed for the playoffs once again. :D

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll throw this out there and try to avoid the darts. How about Bates as HC and Mike Singletary as DC? Mike doesn't have years of experience but no one doubts his intelligence and fire. Besides, just because he would be head coach doesn't mean Bates wouldn't be able to offer advice to Singletary...in fact he should guide all his coordinators. We'd keep the fire in the D and add a lot of new thinking to the play-calling and game day decisions. FLAME AWAY!!!

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grampa: In Mexico we say that "the Devil knows more because he is old enough than because he is the Devil"... I got to agree with you,,,, specially if we bring Mooch as OC I think that we will improve dramatically at coaching !!!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

P@ck66,

I do not care what anyone thinks... I love your posts. They are funny, well written, and thick with knowledge. You have conviction in your dislike for Sherrossley and passion in your love for Brett.

You are consistant. You are what you are! The real deal, like me or leave me but I am who I am and that is the way it is.

There is nothing wrong with that and I rate you as one of the top most entertaining posters to read on this forum.

I do not agree with you on everything... I think Brett is done... But I agree Sherrossley must go. That is fine though.

Bravo P@ck66... Bravo.

RP

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

P@ck66,

I do not care what anyone thinks... I love your posts. They are funny, well written, and thick with knowledge. You have conviction in your dislike for Sherrossley and passion in your love for Brett.

You are consistant. You are what you are! The real deal, like me or leave me but I am who I am and that is the way it is.

There is nothing wrong with that and I rate you as one of the top most entertaining posters to read on this forum.

I do not agree with you on everything... I think Brett is done... But I agree Sherrossley must go. That is fine though.

Bravo P@ck66... Bravo.

RP

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but we're not doing those things. We had terrible problems during the preseason and before everyone got hurt. That's lack of preparation. Come on look at the talent the offense had (before all the injuries) and tell me that this was a team that was playing well and clicking. It's a bad team that has been badly coached and combine that now with all the injuries, there just is no hope of getting better.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't begrudge Bates if he left to take a HC position somewhere else, but I don't think it will happen. To me he kind of fits in the mold of older coordinators who are good at what they do, but are kind of overlooked for a HC position because of their age. Similar to Monte Kiffen of Tampa and jim Johnson of the Eagles.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
I'll throw this out there and try to avoid the darts. How about Bates as HC and Mike Singletary as DC? Mike doesn't have years of experience but no one doubts his intelligence and fire. Besides, just because he would be head coach doesn't mean Bates wouldn't be able to offer advice to Singletary...in fact he should guide all his coordinators. We'd keep the fire in the D and add a lot of new thinking to the play-calling and game day decisions. FLAME AWAY!!!

That would actually be a very good scenario for the Packers. Bates has been successful and seems to have the players respect in Green Bay, Singletary knows his s**t and will eventually be a very good head coach some day and you bring in a good offensive coach to finish it off. I hope that it does not happen. I say pick up **** Jauron for the head job after the season is over. :D

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have had Morningwig, Jauron, and Mariucchi on their coaching staffs before. They all have gone on to being fired as a head coach.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

:joy: :bow: :thumbsup:
I agree w/ RP. P@ck if I would have been drinking a cuppa coffee I would have spewed. (good thing I hit the wash room before reading it!
If Ryan ever gives out prizes for the best post this has to make the top 5 list.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh by the way, I will sleep better tonight knowing that Mikey's in charge.
(For a moment there I thought it was Harlan and TT and I was a bit worried.)

Members online

Latest posts