1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Baseball

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Mortfini, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Mortfini

Mortfini Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok latey (once again) ive been watching light night american sports i been watching some baseball but im yet to understand the rules or the scoring system can som1 help me with the rules And a team to suport i was thinking off keeping it In the green bay milwaukie Area so i guess thats the brewers

ty Mort :)

2. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    No No NO Mort take the Indians! there amazing look at the logo :)

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Good year to become a Brewers fan I think.. they will be a fun team to watch again this season... I spit in the face of the Cubbies. :lol:

4. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rules - Um. Where to start. There are so many freakin rules in baseball.

Nine innings to a game, unless there is a tie. The defense must get three out to end the inning. The bases are safe zones, as long as the player has earned the right to the base he cannot be called out while touching it.

To get a batter out, the pitcher must get three strikes (A strike is a foul ball, missed swing, or a called strike in the strike zone) or get the batter to ground or fly out. If the pitcher throws four balls (pitches outside the strike zone) the batter gets a free base. Also if the batter gets hit with the ball, they take a free base.

If the batter gets on base they can steal a base while the pitcher pitches. Now this is kind of where it gets tricky for newcomers. Say the runner is on first, and the batter hits a ground ball, the runner must advance to second. Now if the batter hits a fly ball, the runner may elect not to advance since the ball has not hit the ground, therefore not allowing a double play (two outs on one play).

As long as the batting team has not recorded three outs, they can continue to vie for runs. A home run (a ball hit over the fair part of the fence without touching the ground) will earn you a pass around the bases, along with everyone else on base.

Hopefully this has been some help. If it is over your head or dumbed down too much, let me know.

Teams to root for - Just not the Cubs, please. Brewers are okay, but if you want an organization with history, tradition, and the best fans in baseball (this is all impartial by the way) root for the St. Louis Cardinals!

5. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    GO CARDS!

6. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
  7. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  8. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    2-1 so far, should be 3-0 if Wainwright's game hadn't gotten rained out. AND against the Rockies!

9. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    You had a pretty good write up until that last wee sentence.. Cards.. come on now..

10. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well Mort, you know the rules for Cricket right?

Baseball is different :p

Seriously, check out MLB Info

11. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bah. Baseball's boring. Ever since they limited how much alcohol you can buy at a game, not worth watching any more.

Stick with football.

12. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am from Arizona, so I pull for the Dbacks. Looks like they should have a good team this year - bunch of nobodys getting it done!

13. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    The price of beer at MLB games limits how many I can buy. ($8-$9 per bottle!!!!) Concessions are absolutely ridiculous any more. A bottle of water is $4.50!!!! And that was 3 years ago. I used to go to 3 or 4 Cardinal games a year, and have been to about 20-25 total games, but I haven't been to a game in 3 years because of the price gouging they do.

14. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Baseball is a two beer game.

You get your Beer and a Dog before you sit down. One more beer at the top of the 5th. I have my score card and my pencil. I score every game I go to and even keep a pitch count.

It is heaven.

NOTE: I broke that rule when I was in the bleachers at Wrigley, and as well my first visit to Fen-way. That is why I do not have score cards for those two games.

Big Mistake.

R.P.

15. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember going to old Busch, get upper deck seats for $4 and being able to bring in a cooler of drinks to the game. And I'm only twenty years old.

Now you can't bring in your own beer, but I know you can bring in your own water into the stadium.

And there is nothing like going to a ball game and seeing it live. Football is great at the stadium, but baseball is 10x better in person.

16. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    LOL you must have been 2 years old at the time. I remember upper deck tickets being $6 around 93-94 when I started going. I'll check some of my old ticket stubs when I get home.

17. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    6 dollars may have been it. I do remember it being under 10 bucks.

By the way, Cardinals are in first place!

18. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    And you call yourself Canadian. I need a minimum of 4 20 oz. Alexander Keith's drafts to watch a baseball game. Only costs me $45 (ouch), but there's nothing like a sunny day with a few beers at the ballpark.

19. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah I found a ticket stub from 1994 and upper deck price was 5.50 then

I just checked the seating chart on the Cardinals website, and the same ticket now is $16. And I guess they figured they weren't gouging their fans enough, so now they charge $5-$20 more per ticket for all Cubs games, Saturday games, and a few other games. "Premium pricing" is what they call it. WOW. Greed!!! GREED!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ticket to see the Cardinals: $21
    Parking: $25
    Scorecard: $3
    3 beers: $27
    Bag of peanuts: $5
    2 hot dogs: $10
    Bottle of water: $5

Getting raped by the team for which you root: Priceless

20. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Cardinals and Brewers off to a good start....

21. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    GO BREWERS!!!!
    4-1 baby!!!
    This team looks really sharp so far. They seem to have a better attitude.
    I think they realized that EVERY game is important, from the first to the last.

22. BangTheDrum

BangTheDrum Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I LOVE THA BREWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

5-1

Big Ben...

23. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Sheets looks good.....if he can only remain healthy all season that would be great.

24. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone remember the 10 cent beer nights the Brewers used to have many years ago? Our men's club staff from Sheboygan used to charter a Prigge Bus and go down and get toasted, then try to teach the next day.

How about the old Milwaukee Braves Knot Hole Gang?
    For a dime we could get into Perini's Woods in centerfield and have a blast. Sit on the framework of the old scoreboard and watch the game.

25. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    For about 2 or 3 hours I thought about taking the kids to a game this weekend at Miller Park.. I priced the tickets, then added parking, then added the gas and a hotel stay, a single game would have cost a family of four this weekend roughly 400 dollars for decent seats. Not to mention the money that I would have to fork out in concession stands and goodies.. as Tripp stated.. not in the mood to drop that type of coin on a game especially against the Giants.

We rented movies, cooked brats on the grille and caught Saturday's game on the TV..