Bart Starr Extortion

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Antonio - An 81-year-old woman from Kerrville, Texas, has been charged with an alleged extortion attempt for sending letters to Green Bay Packers great Bart Starr asking him for $2 million

A typed, computer-generated letter that authorities contend Ruby Y. Young mailed alleges a vague encounter with Starr in 1960. But the Hall of Fame quarterback denies even knowing the woman, according to a criminal complaint affidavit filed in Birmingham, Ala., on Tuesday.

Starr, 72, reached by phone at his Birmingham home, said he had no further comment.

The letters, quoted only partly in the affidavit, are vague as to any connection between Young and Starr. But prosecutors said Young claims the two had a romantic relationship.

Starr turned the letter over to investigators with the U.S. Postal Service.

The letter, which listed a return address for an E.H. Young, was mailed to a business office for a ranch for troubled youths that Starr founded.

The affidavit indicates an investigator acted as if he were Starr and wrote back a response to the letter, prompting two more to Starr.

The first letter, dated Oct. 30, said in part, "The time has come for you to pay - to pay for the many injuries you caused me. . . How much is it worth to preserve this 'image'. . . of who and what you are?"

Young was freed on bond after a hearing in federal court in San Antonio. She would not speak with reporters.

Starr's son, Bart Starr Jr., said Wednesday that his mother, Cherry, recalled a situation some 30 years ago when a woman from Texas named Ruby claimed she had met Starr. The woman described the man she met as "a great big guy" - quite unlike Starr.

Her husband later called the Starrs to apologize and said his wife needed help, the younger Starr said.

Just goes to show you that you don't always gain wisdom with age....sheesh!

Bart was my first sports hero. It was because of his integrity as much as anything. No way did this ever happen as she said.

OP
OP
T

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great Call Vikey!!!

And I am sure that Hornung has no recolection!!! :chug: :beer: :pals: :doh:

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember when Bart's wife got a letter adressed to the greatest QB of all time and she asked him "why they would get a letter intended for Johnny Unitis" :rotflmao:

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always liked him and watched him play ontv as a kid. I can not believe that this is possible! I just got his throwback jersey last month,would love to meet the man. :bow:

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya if you read Bart's bio this is hard to believe. He was as clean as a citizen you'll find.
Eastcoast I also got Bart's throwback last year, almost had to make a loan.LOL

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"A great big guy"...

Could have been Max McGee on a bender...or Nietschke..

(although she'd have to be crazy to confuse those two with Starr!)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone is found guilty of false accusations in a **** or ****** assualt case against anyone, the person who made proven false accusations, should have to serve the total time in jail that would have been given the person they accused of **** or ****** assault, if the person they accused would have been found guilty.

Far too often famous people are targeted for financial gain.

Far too often "The Law Is An ***."

RP

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone is found guilty of false accusations in a **** or ****** assualt case against anyone, the person who made proven false accusations, should have to serve the total time in jail that would have been given the person they accused of **** or ****** assault, if the person they accused would have been found guilty.

RP

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

RP
You can't be serious.

Should they punished? absolutley.

Just not to that extreme.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

RP
You can't be serious.

Why not? Forever after the accused is gonna have that 'what if it was true' tagged to them.

When you accuse someone of something, true or false, they are guilty by association and that is very damaging to their character. Even if they did NOTHING wrong. Many will still have that in their head an have their doubts.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DeusNova said:
Raider Pride said:

RP
You can't be serious.

Why not? Forever after the accused is gonna have that 'what if it was true' tagged to them.

When you accuse someone of something, true or false, they are guilty by association and that is very damaging to their character. Even if they did NOTHING wrong. Many will still have that in their head an have their doubts.
Okay. So lets say someone accuses Brett Favre of ****. After further investigation, it was a sham by the accuser. Are you seriously saying that the accuser should be subject to equal jail time of an actual ******?!?!?!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Okay. So lets say someone accuses Brett Favre of ****. After further investigation, it was a sham by the accuser. Are you seriously saying that the accuser should be subject to equal jail time of an actual ******?!?!?!

Ya damn skippy they should.

Once you accuse someone they are basically type cast that accuastion. I know this from first hand experience. Several years back I was accused of hacking several websites and essentially destroying two teams efforts and hard work. I of course am innocent of it however, to this day I get emails and IM's asked how I hacked their websites, why I did it, etc ... The last flush of questions an comments came shortly before I changed my screen name to Zero2Cool to avoid the garbage talk.

So yes, if you accuse someone of something and they are innocent, the accuser needs to serve the amount of time. Why? Because they falsely tried to get someone locked up for that amount of time so instead THEY can sit that time in jail.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK...Zero..

But what if the person is crazy or actually believes in their mind (mistakenly) that you did the crime?

(By the way...how did you hack those websites?)

:wink:

(LOL..only kidding..etc...etc..)

(Disclaimer: This is an attempt at humor only and in no way accurately portrays, impunes, or accuses the above said poster (Zero2Cool) of any wrong doing, illegality, or unpleasantness..)

(PS: Please don't report me to the authorities..)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
OK...Zero..

But what if the person is crazy or actually believes in their mind (mistakenly) that you did the crime?

(By the way...how did you hack those websites?)

:wink:

(LOL..only kidding..etc...etc..)

(Disclaimer: This is an attempt at humor only and in no way accurately portrays, impunes, or accuses the above said poster (Zero2Cool) of any wrong doing, illegality, or unpleasantness..)

(PS: Please don't report me to the authorities..)

lol a good hacker never reveals his/her secrets ;)

If they are clinically proven insane, then I would obviously suggest leniency in the punishment, but a punishment needs to be handed out regardless.

edit, to add a little more to this. If the person belives in their mind the accused is guilty, they should have that belief on solid proof. For instance, one of the teams that was hit hardest was a team I helped train. They were new and I was very experienced so I would practice with their team and show them how to set up defenses and explained how each weapon an turret is used to its maxium capabilities. I took a lot of heat from my OWN team for helping them. It just doesnt make sense that I'd destroy their stuff. Still puzzles me to this day. They even started collecting money for a plane ticket to my house!! Over a freaking VIDEO GAME WEBSITE!! lol

Members online

Latest posts