Barnett weighs in at 230lbs.

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is small for an inside linebacker. It's no wonder he has trouble getting off blocks and stopping a running back in his tracks. He is not a head on force. More of a chase and grab tackler. He even mentions getting down to 225 lbs. I thought Brad Jones was undersized but this is ridiculous. This team is a finesse team. I only see 2 players who have mean streaks and play physical(Mathews and Sitton.)

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
+ Jenkins, Harris (when healthy), and maybe in a lil while Zombo(?)

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
+ Jenkins, Harris (when healthy), and maybe in a lil while Zombo(?)

Jenkins doesn't have a mean streak. He is a quiet guy. Not a lot of intensity. He's a good player but not dominate like Mathews and Sitton. Zombo is small in the upper body. It's quite noticable especially in the chest and shoulders. He's got a motor but is lacking in power. I'll give you Harris but unfortunately he is old and hurt. Also one thing to remember is that Harris is an intense physical player as a bump and run corner. He was physical at the line of scrimmage with receivers within 5 yards. This is a different defensive scheme. The corners play more zone which neutralizes Harris's physicality.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well way to throw a wrench in my gears BOB!

Well I wouldn't worry about it too much. There are plenty of green and gold kool aid drinkers around here that will soon come to your defense. Just give it time.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
haha, Nah, I think you pretty much summed up the reality of it. Jenkins does seem a lil nice for a mean-viking eating-SOB, and Zombo is small (but i was saying he can bulk up similar to how Mathews did later on), and Harris will lose most of his harrassing the receivers while playing zone.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't have to wait too long, I drink the Harris Kool-Aid! He'll be back!

As for Barnett, I never knew he was that small. 230? What is the standard/ average size of an inside linebacker? I would say for an inside linebacker (or any linebacker) it's a position where size does matter. But you never know, you got to watch those little ones... sometimes the biggest surprises come from somebody you'd never expect it from.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Kitten, Harris doesn't believe in Kool-aid, Its the opponents life force! 4 more years! 4 more years! 4 more years!

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha, Nah, I think you pretty much summed up the reality of it. Jenkins does seem a lil nice for a mean-viking eating-SOB, and Zombo is small (but i was saying he can bulk up similar to how Mathews did later on), and Harris will lose most of his harrassing the receivers while playing zone.

I will agree with you on Zombo's potential. He does posses the mental makeup to become a dominant player. He plays with intensity and a non stop motor. He will need to bulk up over the next 2 years. Needs more upper body strength. I am however a little concerned about his lack of a first step explosion. That's what most of the great pass rushers have. Mathews has it. Frank is more of a try hard hustle guy who sacks are more coverage sacks.To improve on first step explosion he will need to get more powerful in the legs and trunk. The nice thing about try hard guys is that they will work hard in the weight room. I think Frank will do that. Hopefully in a couple of years he'll get there.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is small for an inside linebacker. It's no wonder he has trouble getting off blocks and stopping a running back in his tracks. He is not a head on force. More of a chase and grab tackler. He even mentions getting down to 225 lbs. I thought Brad Jones was undersized but this is ridiculous. This team is a finesse team. I only see 2 players who have mean streaks and play physical(Mathews and Sitton.)
Yet the Packers were #1 last year against the run.

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT????????????

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MLBs are actually supposed to be 250+ in the 3-4 because of the gaps from having one less DT ... but if he can play it at that weight, then he can maintain greater speed with less weight probably.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Well, It does kind of seem like Barnett isn't quite as dominating as he used to be, but like PackerRS said, if our run D is as good as last year I'm not too worried. The question is, without Jolly will our run D be as successful. Well, we'll find out.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that 225 - 230 is pretty light for an ILB...but...it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts!

Most everyone forgets that in the original "Thunder & Lightning" backfield of Jimmy Taylor & Paul Hornung, that Taylor played fullback at 210 lbs, and Hornung played halfback at around 225!

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That and having slightly lighter ILBs gives a 3-4 defense much more flexibility. Even though a 3-4 uses less lineman, the DE's are actually more like 4-3 defensive tackles with a big NT. They are bigger to suck up blocks and fill gaps. This allows the the LBs to roam around and attack instead of react. Barnett maybe a little light but he has a lot of tenacity. Besides, bigger ILBs typically get much slower when they start to accumulate seasons.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett has been undersized his entire career. He was an outside linebacker at Oregon State.

With that said, the guy is a beast. He is a sure tackler and the second best linebacker on the team. I believe he is one of the few players on defense the Packers cannot do without. I have no problem with his size. He's solid in run support and coverage.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ Also Barnett is really smart and understands the schemes and what not very well, which is a necessity for the ILB's in a 3-4. Thats why the Ravens are successful with the 3-4 with Ray Ray. Yes he is a physical force, but he really understands the defense, and thus leads from the ILB position.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish former packer Harry Sydney was a member of this forum. He has said on many occasions that Barnett is too small to be a middle linebacker and lacks the physicality to take on a guard or lead fullback. If any of you listen to local sports talk radio I'm sure you have heard his opinion. He knows his football and I agree with him when it comes to Barnett as well as his opinions on the zone blocking scheme(smaller less physical OL can't create a push on goal line and short yardage situations.)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett was rated by Pro Football Focus as the #3 ILB in the league, only behind Willis and Lewis.
People forget that he came from a torn ACL.

And regarding the size, our 3-4 DL is one of the biggest in the league. Jenins is 305, but both Raji and Pickett are 350+ pounds. That's a lot of beef. They allow the LBs to be smaller.

It does not matter that Barnett is smaller. He's physical, he's always around the ball, and he makes plays. He led all ILBs last year in sacks, that's no small feat.

But hey, that's just MY opinion.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish former packer Harry Sydney was a member of this forum. He has said on many occasions that Barnett is too small to be a middle linebacker and lacks the physicality to take on a guard or lead fullback. If any of you listen to local sports talk radio I'm sure you have heard his opinion. He knows his football and I agree with him when it comes to Barnett as well as his opinions on the zone blocking scheme(smaller less physical OL can't create a push on goal line and short yardage situations.)

Isn't the idea of the 3-4 defense for the big guys up front to eat up blockers so that the linebackers flow freely from side-to-side? This is why the 3-4 has 290 lb. ends and 300+ lb. nose tackle. Barnett's strength is persuit and run tackling. He's a really good fit for this defense.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather stick with Hawk and his big butt than to have Trotter and his big, talentless butt ;)

I do think ILB is a Packers weakness, BTW, but not Barnett. The problem is the other guy (Chillar/Hawk/Bishop).

Reaction score
Quit worrying about players sizes. If they get it done with an intensity and good technique it doesn't matter. There is no prototypical size in the nfl. If there was all linebackerswould have to be about 250 and have to run a 4.3. Kampmon is considered and under sized DE but he got it done for us didn't he.

Latest posts