Barnett, Packers open to extension

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packersnews.com

The Green Bay Packers are open to extending linebacker Nick Barnett's contract this offseason and have had amiable preliminary talks with his agent.

However, the chances of finishing a deal anytime soon depend in large part on Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs signing a long-term deal with Chicago early this offseason, and also the kind of deal General Manager Ted Thompson and Barnett are willing to accept based off that.

Barnett has one year left on his rookie contract at a salary of $691,000, but he has wanted to extend that since last season.

The Packers, like many NFL teams recently, appear more willing to be proactive regarding extensions for core players who have a full season or more left on their deals. Barnett's agent, Charles Price, has been talking regularly with Packers Vice President Andrew Brandt since late last year.

"We have common starting ground in that they'd like to have Nick for the long haul, and he'd like to be there for the long haul," Price said Tuesday. "That's pretty much all we've established at this point. There's an incredible starting position, and after talking to Andrew Brandt, we both feel good about working together to get this done."

---------------------------------------

I hope he stays for years. I like nick.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see the Packers lock up Nick Barnett to a LT deal. Hopefully they can complete the extension and the Packers can a few FA's as well.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I love Barnett, Abdul Hodge is sitting behind him waiting patiently and he is something special, so I think we'll be ok no matter what. No, I'm not saying at this point in time that Hodge is better than Barnett, but the Hodge/ Hawk combination is something I'm eagerly awaiting. But I do hope Barnett gets the deal he deserves. It should be in his contract that he must wear the club from now on. Nothin' better than seeing that thing flying in a pileup.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know Hodge is something special? He'll probably be alright for sure, but you can't be certain.

Taking potential over a proven commodity is something that I don't like.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge had 5 solo tackles, one assisted tackle, a fumble recovery and a TD in the Seattle game. I don't think that qualifies as godawful.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
How do you know Hodge is something special? He'll probably be alright for sure, but you can't be certain.

Taking potential over a proven commodity is something that I don't like.

I watched pretty much every Iowa game Hodge played in and the guy's great. I'm just saying the guy is good and I don't think the linebacker position is something the Packers will have to worry about for quite a while.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OWNED.

But seriously. If we're gonna maximize Barnett's potential, he has to be moved to the outside. The defensive line was more effective when we took out KGB on running downs. The defense coaches gotta stop messing around.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OWNED.

But seriously. If we're gonna maximize Barnett's potential, he has to be moved to the outside. The defensive line was more effective when we took out KGB on running downs. The defense coaches gotta stop messing around.

I agree. And he has to keep the club.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hodge had 5 solo tackles, one assisted tackle, a fumble recovery and a TD in the Seattle game. I don't think that qualifies as godawful.

Yes it does. The TD was a nice play, but 6 tackles in a game is nothing special for a middle linebacker, and I don't remember any of those tackles being at or behind the line of scrimmage. And I sure didn't see anything like the range that Barnett has. Hodge had some great moments in the preseason, though, and I hope he pans out. The Seattle game just made me think he's not ready yet.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's not ready cuz he didnt have a great game in his first start ever? A start in which he scored a TD no less?

tough room.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can never have too many good LB's in my view. I think they will take care of Barnett. The guy is really good, so i can't see them letting him go. Maybe they can get him, Hodge, Hawk AND Barnett all in there at the same time!
Pretty good "3 headed monster" if you ask me!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OWNED.

I couldn't agree more. He's a speed linebacker. His biggest weakness in the middle is that he tends to be too aggressive at times and overruns the play. I think he'd be a monster linebacker on the outside; where I think he is pretty average as a middle linebacker. Would I resign him? Absolutely! He's a talented guy who is simply out of position. I also think Hodge is going to be the real deal.

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett was chosen to by the Packers to play the role he is now and does it well. The day of the plugger is long gone and teams are looking for MLB that can play sideline to sideline and cover.

Hodge has show that he has a tough time shedding blockers and he can't cover. He spent the entire game, when Barnett was out, within five yards of the line of scrimmage. He stats for that game really didn't reflect how bad he was playing. He had to make some plays because there were so many plays right at him. Hodge may have something but I doubt that he'll ever be able to unseat Barnett, who has it all but not great size like a Urlacher.

Unless Barnett becomes greedy, Thompson has to resign Barnett. The Packers LBer corps might be one of the best in the NFL eventually. It would be a mistake to break it up.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you Mackie with one exception, Barnett's natural position is the outside. You say the day of the middle linebacker being a plugger is gone. I disagree with that. If that middle linebacker over runs a play and doesn't plug it turns into a big play. How many big plays did the Packers give up early in the year because Barnett over ran the play? Hodge may not have been ready yet, but I think he'll be a nice linebacker. I too love the personnel the Packers have at linebacker, now they just have to get everyone in the right position and then watch this defense blossom. Can you imagine how many plays Barnett could make as an outside linebacker with Hawk on the other side?

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett appears to have smarts. There's another thing I forgot to mention. He's the centerfielder of the defensive front seven. The plugger is dead in the NFL primarily because it's a passing league. The run generally doesn't hurt you much. All the rules favor the offensive's passing game. I can't remember the last time I saw the Packers, or any other team, leave their linebackers in on passing downs and not play five defensive backs as much as the Packers did last year. Fortunately, Thomson fixed the linebacking positions in the last two drafts. What has been a major weakness is now the strength of the defensive for many years to come.

During a Packers/queens game, I turned off the sound and listened to the Minnesota radio broadcast. During the entire game they gushed on and on about the Packers LB corps. I've noticed that on other occasions, as well. Trust me, they'll be one of the best.

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett appears to have smarts. There's another thing I forgot to mention. He's the centerfielder of the defensive front seven. The plugger is dead in the NFL primarily because it's a passing league. The run generally doesn't hurt you much. All the rules favor the offensive's passing game. I can't remember the last time I saw the Packers, or any other team, leave their linebackers in on passing downs and not play five defensive backs as much as the Packers did last year. Fortunately, Thomson fixed the linebacking positions in the last two drafts. What has been a major weakness is now the strength of the defensive for many years to come.

During a Packers/queens game, I turned off the sound and listened to the Minnesota radio broadcast. During the entire game they gushed on and on about the Packers LB corps. I've noticed that on other occasions, as well. Trust me, they'll be one of the best.

Packers need a legit MLB with Barnett and Hawk on the outsides.

Reaction score
Mackie2001 said:

Packers need a legit MLB with Barnett and Hawk on the outsides.

Well it's not like Barnett/Hawk/Popp have been stinking it up. They have upside, have improved, and more importantly have chemistry. I'm not so sure moving Barnett to the outside would be so productive, especially since Hawk isn't strong enough for strong-side LB and the same can be said for Barnett. Popp was a DE, so he has experience with shedding o-linemen and more importantly he has great speed.

I don't think you can say Barnett isn't a legit MLB, the stats will prove he can hold his own at the position, and can compete with some of the better known MLBs in the NFL when it comes to tackles.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Yes it does. The TD was a nice play, but 6 tackles in a game is nothing special for a middle linebacker, and I don't remember any of those tackles being at or behind the line of scrimmage. And I sure didn't see anything like the range that Barnett has. Hodge had some great moments in the preseason, though, and I hope he pans out. The Seattle game just made me think he's not ready yet.

I'd say it's good for his first start in the NFL. I'm not saying "take out Barnett, Hodge is better." I'm just saying the LB position is something that we're lucky enough to not really have to worry about anytime soon. I want Barnett in my lineup. He has something Hodge doesn't, and that's experience. If Barnett moves to the outside, and Hawk's on the other side, it's going to be something to watch out for. Hodge will fit nicely in between the two. I just have faith in Hodge cause I've watched him dominate at Iowa for so many years. He had Chad Greenway then, and now he has Hawk and Barnett, which is an even better combo.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being basically an impatient person, I find it hard to understand why it takes so damned long to work out contracts for vets. Besides Barnett, who BTW IMO does not deserve a Briggs size contract, Harris is hanging out there, KGB should be offered a lesser contract or be gone, etc. These deals must be ironed out prior to FA so we know better who we need to target. Of course, it takes two to tango, but the Packers are in the driver's seat in these talks. They have the cash to go in more than one direction.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Being basically an impatient person, I find it hard to understand why it takes so damned long to work out contracts for vets. Besides Barnett, who BTW IMO does not deserve a Briggs size contract, Harris is hanging out there, KGB should be offered a lesser contract or be gone, etc. These deals must be ironed out prior to FA so we know better who we need to target. Of course, it takes two to tango, but the Packers are in the driver's seat in these talks. They have the cash to go in more than one direction.

Could be weighing every option possible. Can they find someone better cheaper? Can they replace said person via draft? What value will make said player happy while not hurting the future?

When dealing with millions of dollars, take your time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts