Barnett Files Grievance

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
packedhouse01 said:
Urlacher is over rated and always has been. He's a good linebacker, but that's all he is. He doesn't even begin to compare with the great linebackers in NFL history. He's good, not great. Injuries do happen to every team.
Favre is "good" but not "great" IMO too. Too many TD passes bouncing off defenders first to take him seriously. :roll:

LOL, Another Chicago fan who can't see past his jealousy. Luckily the other 99% of america think he's one of the best ever.

Let's talk Favre for a moment. Balls bouncing off of defenders fingers? How many interceptions did he throw where a receiver didn't catch the ball and the ball bounced off his fingers? How many interceptions because the receiver ran the wrong route? Other than Sterling Sharpe, Favre has never thrown to a great receiver. He's thrown to a few good receivers, but not too many great receivers. I'd take Favre over any quarterback in the last twenty five years. How many linebackers would you take above Urlacher? End of argument.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The ref was way out of line.

Favre is a great qb. That is a FACT, so it cant be discussed.

Urlacher is a good lb. He is not typical of a linebacker in that he isnt going to push through a blocker to make a play. He can run side to side very well. He can drop into coverage very well. Future HOF? I would say 60% chance.

He is a overgrown saftey so he should be able to run side to side very well, drop in coverage and why he really cant run thru a blocker

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher is a good lb. He is not typical of a linebacker in that he isnt going to push through a blocker to make a play. He can run side to side very well. He can drop into coverage very well. Future HOF? I would say 60% chance.

I'll take a 60% chance future HOF. If we had a team of 60% chance future HOFs, we'd win the SB every year by a wide margin.

Urlacher is great. I love the guy when he's not playing us. The guy has a nose for the football, he has football smarts, and he's all over the place. He seems to read Favre like a book, which really bothers me.

Notice that when Favre throws the ball, Urlacher's always on the screen, no matter where he throws it. that really ****** me off being a Packers fan, but I have to respect the guy.

What's with the Bears anyways and their history of having great LBs, great RBs, and horrible QBs? I never understood that. Every decade, it seems like the same thing.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Update

The NFL has fined official Jim Quirk a game check -- $8,150 -- for inappropriate contact with Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett on Sunday.

Barnett
Quirk was summoned to NFL offices Friday to meet with commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL senior vice president of football operations Ray Anderson. In determining the penalty, the league took into account previous incidents, including Quirk's contact Dec. 16 with Atlanta Falcons fullback Jason Snelling on a kickoff return.

The NFL has informed Barnett and Packers head coach Mike McCarthy of their actions. Barnett's agent, who had planned to file a grievance with the NFL over Quirk's behavior, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen, "This action is more than satisfactory. There is now no reason to pursue a grievance"

Quirk aggressively grabbed Barnett around the neck and pulled him to the ground during Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field. McCarthy was critical of Quirk following the incident.

"I'll tell you what, I've never seen anything like that in all my years," McCarthy said. "I didn't see the whole thing but I thought the official was totally out of line the way he grabbed Nick around the neck and pulled him out of there.

"There was a lot going on throughout the game on both sides of the ball after the play was over. Their offensive line was getting after Nick a bunch down the stretch. And that goes on in these types of games. I didn't see all of it but I saw the end of it. I thought it was totally unprofessional. I thought it was totally out of hand," McCarthy said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello has said McCarthy would not be disciplined for his remarks

Wow. I like it. :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Looking at the replays, the ref's action did seem excessive. Glad to know the league thought of it as inappropriate.

So refs make around $130,000-$140,000 during the regular season. Interesting.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I don't want to sound like one of those typical whine babies, but sure seems like the refs are blowing a lot of calls this year and then this happens... weird.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Looking at the replays, the ref's action did seem excessive. Glad to know the league thought of it as inappropriate.

So refs make around $130,000-$140,000 during the regular season. Interesting.

I once was a ref for a 5 year old kiddie soccer tournament. The kids were more concerned about the dandelions than the soccer ball, yet I endured every four letter word in the dictionary from the parents...now extrapolate that to 70,000 fans, players, coaches...

Honestly try to put yourself in the shoes of a ref...they deserve every penny!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:

I'll take a 60% chance future HOF. If we had a team of 60% chance future HOFs, we'd win the SB every year by a wide margin.

Urlacher is great. I love the guy when he's not playing us. The guy has a nose for the football, he has football smarts, and he's all over the place. He seems to read Favre like a book, which really bothers me.

Notice that when Favre throws the ball, Urlacher's always on the screen, no matter where he throws it. that really ****** me off being a Packers fan, but I have to respect the guy.

What's with the Bears anyways and their history of having great LBs, great RBs, and horrible QBs? I never understood that. Every decade, it seems like the same thing.

Urlacher is over rated just like Butkus was. Butkus was another good linebacker, but he wasn't in the league of a Ray Nitchke. Both of those guys just were lucky enough to play in a big city.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
4thand26 said:

Urlacher is over rated just like Butkus was. Butkus was another good linebacker, but he wasn't in the league of a Ray Nitchke. Both of those guys just were lucky enough to play in a big city.

Dont forget how overrated Sayers and Payton were also.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sayers and Peyton were without doubt two of the greatest backs that ever played the game. They were impact players in every way. Lawrence Taylor was an impact linebacker. His play made you change how you played offensively. Reggie White did that as well. What I am saying is that as good as Urlachher is, no one game plans around him. He is a very good football player, he's just not great. The majority of his reputation comes as much from where he plays as how he plays.

Back to Barnett. He is another one who believes that he's better than he actually is. I like him. I'm glad we have him. But he has this tendency to bring things upon himself because he's just not a class act. I think he has played as well as Urlacher this season, but I don't think he's among the elite linebackers in the league.

It will be very interesting today to see if the refs are more observant of his behavior and his tactics today. When I first saw that he wanted the ref punished, the first thing that came to my mind was, geez just shut up and play ball. Why in the world would you want to call more attention to yourself. Just like I don't like cheaters I don't care for athletes who simply have to be the show.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts