Barnett Files Grievance

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Urlacher is over rated and always has been. He's a good linebacker, but that's all he is. He doesn't even begin to compare with the great linebackers in NFL history. He's good, not great. Injuries do happen to every team.
Favre is "good" but not "great" IMO too. Too many TD passes bouncing off defenders first to take him seriously. :roll:

Yeah, and all the completion and yardage records don't count for anything either.....please.

How can you even try and pretend with a straight face that Favre is only good and not great. He is easily in the top 5 of all time QB's and probably either one or two.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Urlacher is over rated and always has been. He's a good linebacker, but that's all he is. He doesn't even begin to compare with the great linebackers in NFL history. He's good, not great. Injuries do happen to every team.
Favre is "good" but not "great" IMO too. Too many TD passes bouncing off defenders first to take him seriously. :roll:

Don't worry BearPerspective, Arena ball should start soon. In the meantime I will be watching the NFL playoffs. Football is football - right?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

How many Chicago QB records does that "good: qb from Green Bay hold? Oh that's right almost all of them!!!

I predict The Bears will go through at least another 3 qb's before Brett retires, of course that will only take to the middle of next year.

What's the matter BPS, isn't there anyone on the Bears forum to cry with????

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre td passes since 1992: 440

Bears qbs: 267

Years of note:
In 2004 5 Bears qbs COMBINED for 9 td passes. Favre had 30
In 2003 3 Bears qbs combined for 12 td passes. Favre had 32

Shall I continue? Of course.

In 1993 4 Bears qbs combined for 7 td passes. (Kramer had all 7) Wow that is really pathetic. Favre had 19

edit: I just had to double check the 1993 stats. I thought maybe the Bears only played half the season or something. Nope, they played 16 games, and only 7 td passes. :lol:

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

LOL, Another Chicago fan who can't see past his jealousy. Luckily the other 99% of america think he's one of the best ever.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Nobody mentions that the whole thing started because Barnett shoved the ballcarrier into the ground well after the play was over. He was frustrated because he played like crap and so did the entire team. He needs to learn his lesson and move on. I felt less bad about him missing the Pro Bowl after his poor performance on Sunday.

I had to see this for myself.

I have to say that nobody mentions this because it did not happen. Barnett was not near the ballcarrier. He had #75 of the Bears between him and the runner.

The OL and Barnett were tussling a bit on the ground and the OL leaned a bit on Barnett and he shoved him back. That's about when the ref entered the picture.

Barnett should have been the bigger man in the situation, that I agree with.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Nobody mentions that the whole thing started because Barnett shoved the ballcarrier into the ground well after the play was over. He was frustrated because he played like crap and so did the entire team. He needs to learn his lesson and move on. I felt less bad about him missing the Pro Bowl after his poor performance on Sunday.

I have to say that nobody mentions this because it did not happen. Barnett was not near the ballcarrier. He had #75 of the Bears between him and the runner.

The OL and Barnett were tussling a bit on the ground and the OL leaned a bit on Barnett and he shoved him back. That's about when the ref entered the picture.

Sorry. I thought it was the ballcarrier who he shoved after the whistle. But I don't see that it makes any difference who he shoved. The ref's reaction did seem excessive, but I'm having a hard time finding any sympathy in my heart for Barnett.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Watch your back
BOB YOUNG AZ REPUBLIC

It looks as if the NFL has a rogue referee, or at least one who just can't resist the urge to join in the contact.

It sort of reminds us of the commercial where a player tells his teammates that whoever sacks the quarterback gets a Bud Light.

Suddenly, a ref comes flying in to blindside the opposing quarterback and then is shown on the sideline sipping his beer.

Anyway, umpire Jim Quirk tackled Green Bay linebacker Nick Barnett from behind during the Bears-Packers game, grabbing him around the neck (which, by the way, should have resulted in a flag from his fellow refs).

The NFL defended his actions because he evidently thought a skirmish was breaking out.

But Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Quirk was “totally out of line the way he grabbed Nick around the neck and pulled him out of there.”

He also called it “unprofessional” and “totally out of hand.”

We might give Quirk — a former “Fightin' Blue Hens” linebacker and guard at Delaware — the benefit of the doubt, but he has a history of this stuff.

In 1999, he tackled the Rams' Jeff Robinson in what was described as a “textbook tackle” when Robinson got into a shoving match with Chicago's Ty Hallock.

And just this season, Quirk latched on to Cardinals tackle Elton Brown's britches and dragged him down from behind during a game between Arizona and Baltimore.

Funny, it seems as if every other official manages to intercede and stop scuffles without waylaying a player.

And in each instance, Quirk — scheduled to work Sunday's game in Glendale between the Cards and Rams — has attacked from behind.

It makes us wonder how long before his overly aggressive peacemaking technique backfires, and a startled 300-pound player mistakes Quirk 4 an attacking opponent and sends him back to Delaware.

Reach The Heat Index at bob.young@arizona!republic.com or 602-444-8271.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:

Sorry. I thought it was the ballcarrier who he shoved after the whistle. But I don't see that it makes any difference who he shoved. The ref's reaction did seem excessive, but I'm having a hard time finding any sympathy in my heart for Barnett.

Well, your description led me to believe both men were standing up and Barnett shoved him to the ground. When in fact, from what I saw both men were sitting on the ground and Barnett shoved the OL as he was moving toward getting up.

I'm not asking to find sympathy, I'm just trying to give accurate information as I saw it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Zero2Cool said:
Greg C. said:

Well, your description led me to believe both men were standing up and Barnett shoved him to the ground. When in fact, from what I saw both men were sitting on the ground and Barnett shoved the OL as he was moving toward getting up.

I'm not asking to find sympathy, I'm just trying to give accurate information as I saw it.

I said "shoved him into the ground," not "shoved him to the ground." I thought that covered it. It was not a big deal, but on the other hand, it was unnecessary.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he should file a grievance for that, that shouldnt be allowed. The players get fined for anything like that, so why not the officials. And if the games are not fair I am sure things would get looked into further on this because the officials just cannot call the calls without reason IMO...

I say good for him.

I agree, Heather.

The ref crossed the line and I heard rumors that the NFL will discipline him.

If the refs had a problem with what Barnett did, throw a penalty flag and threaten to expel him from the game. Tackling him was just plain wrong.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Greg C. said:
Zero2Cool said:
Greg C. said:

I said "shoved him into the ground," not "shoved him to the ground." I thought that covered it. It was not a big deal, but on the other hand, it was unnecessary.

I'd rather be shoved TO the ground rather than INTO it. I mean, heck, to it at least you're not INTO it. Huge difference there.

LB vs RB
LB vs OL

Hmmm....

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:
packedhouse01 said:

How many Chicago QB records does that "good: qb from Green Bay hold? Oh that's right almost all of them!!!

I predict The Bears will go through at least another 3 qb's before Brett retires, of course that will only take to the middle of next year.

What's the matter BPS, isn't there anyone on the Bears forum to cry with????

Wow. You country bumpkins sure are a stupid lot, who cant grasp even the most obvious statements of sarcasm. Jesus, the stereotypes are true. Hey, who has the INT record, by the way?

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW guys, how many fights does a frustrated, losing Barnett have to attempt to start before a ref can pull him off of one? Just curious.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW guys, how many fights does a frustrated, losing Barnett have to attempt to start before a ref can pull him off of one? Just curious.

maybe YOU know the answer since you brought it up?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
Huh? You mean all 400 plus bounced off defenders??? Yeah.......ok. :roll:

Urlacher is a good LB. I won't argue with that.
Some of the Packer players said Chicago was doing some dirty stuff........that might have added to the extra frustration of Barnett and others. But what do you expect from a Packers/Bears game? It's closer to old time football then you can get.
They won........it's behind us, so lets get on to the business at hand. Beating the Lions, and then the playoffs!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

He is currently 2nd best QB in the NFC. The fans and pros who voted in the Pro Bowl think I'm wrong and he's the best QB in the NFC.

What is your definition of great? 3 MVPs and the runner up in MVP balloting this year do not qualify as great? Nor does the all-time leader in Wins, Attempts, Completions, Yards, and TDs? Nor does the all-time leader in consecutive starts for a QB?

Are you talking about his career or this year? Over his career, his TD to INT ratio has been outstanding, and that's even including his 2 horrible years in '05 and '06.

If you're talking about this year, 26 TDs to 15 INTs. That's actually quite good, despite the two turds he dropped against your favorite team. Is he not great this year because he's only the runner up in MVP balloting and not the winner?

Your criteria for the word "great" seems a little strict. I've always seen great as outstanding, and if I were to select active QBs who qualify for that title, I'd put Brady, P Manning, and Favre in there and Romo would be in there in a few years barring injury.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just b/c a person files a greviance the refs should not hold that against the player

True. This would be high on the list of unprofessionalism if they did.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd file a grievance too, if this happened to me. Refs shouldn't tackle a grown-*** man from behind, unless there is potential for injury looming. It was some back-and-forth ticky tack shoving, and the guy overreacted like it was the onset of a bench-clearing brawl.

With the method that he "restrained" Nick, he could have damaged his windpipe, strained his neck, blown out his knee, sprained his back, broke his fibula or tibia, etc. It was a combo sleeper/facemask/horsecollar tackle, and if a player had done the same thing during play, it would've been a 15-yard penaly, plus a fine and possible game suspension. JMHO

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
I'd file a grievance too, if this happened to me. Refs shouldn't tackle a grown-*** man from behind, unless there is potential for injury looming. It was some back-and-forth ticky tack shoving, and the guy overreacted like it was the onset of a bench-clearing brawl.

With the method that he "restrained" Nick, he could have damaged his windpipe, strained his neck, blown out his knee, sprained his back, broke his fibula or tibia, etc. It was a combo sleeper/facemask/horsecollar tackle, and if a player had done the same thing during play, it would've been a 15-yard penaly, plus a fine and possible game suspension. JMHO

Agreed.

As someone who used to NHB wrestle, you have to be careful putting someone in a hold like that. You can seriously injure someone that way.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I just read that Barnett is NOT filing a greviance. His agent said they aren't even looking for an apology from the ref.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I think he should file a grievance for that, that shouldnt be allowed. The players get fined for anything like that, so why not the officials. And if the games are not fair I am sure things would get looked into further on this because the officials just cannot call the calls without reason IMO...

I say good for him.

I agree, Heather.

The ref crossed the line and I heard rumors that the NFL will discipline him.

If the refs had a problem with what Barnett did, throw a penalty flag and threaten to expel him from the game. Tackling him was just plain wrong.

Thanks Zombie!! Your post was great, I totally agree.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

OK.... Too many TDs bouncing off defenders? That happens occasionally but not that often. Favre is a great QB. Check his stats.

On to Urlacher... IMO he is a great linebacker. If he weren't playing for the Bears I would like him more. He is a leader and the face of the Bears. I have seen him almost single-handedly turn around a game. His intensity inspires everyone around him. If anyone on the Bears defense ran an interception back for a TD I'm glad it was him. Wasn't that his first TD? If these are his last few years as a player then I'm glad he got the chance to run one in. (even if it was at our expense.) That play didn't hurt us anyway. We had already lost the game by then.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ref was way out of line.

Favre is a great qb. That is a FACT, so it cant be discussed.

Urlacher is a good lb. He is not typical of a linebacker in that he isnt going to push through a blocker to make a play. He can run side to side very well. He can drop into coverage very well. Future HOF? I would say 60% chance.

Members online

Latest posts