Barnett Files Grievance

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed that Barnett filed a grievance against the ref that grabbed him around the throat this past game. Do you think the officials in general will feel offended, and if so, can we count on a fair game?

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he should file a grievance for that, that shouldnt be allowed. The players get fined for anything like that, so why not the officials. And if the games are not fair I am sure things would get looked into further on this because the officials just cannot call the calls without reason IMO...

I say good for him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed that Barnett filed a grievance against the ref that grabbed him around the throat this past game. Do you think the officials in general will feel offended, and if so, can we count on a fair game?

Fair? No. Those have been very rare this year unfortunately. Things will likely stay the same.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no clue what the ref was doing, but for gosh sakes, let it go. What purpose will this serve? You're not going to teach anyone a lesson and all you do is get the reffing fraternity to watch you more closely. It's a lose/lose situation.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Dec. 24, 2007

Green Bay - The National Football League does not plan to take action against Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett for putting his hands on an official near the end of a 35-7 loss to the Chicago Bears on Sunday

In an attempt to break up a skirmish, umpire Jim Quirk grabbed a kneeling Barnett around the neck from behind with both arms and dragged him backward onto the ground. Replays showed that as Barnett tried to get up, Quirk maintained his hold, leading Barnett to use his hands to push himself away.

According to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello, Barnett is not being reviewed for discipline. He indicated that Quirk was simply pulling Barnett away from a skirmish to prevent it from escalating.

The pushing and shoving began after Barnett got tangled up with Bears tackle Jon Tait during a running play with less than 4 minutes left in the game. The two were on the ground trying to push one another's arms off themselves when Quirk came from behind and wrestled Barnett away from the pile.

Coach Mike McCarthy said he couldn't believe his eyes.

"I'll tell you what, I've never seen anything like that in all my years," McCarthy said. "I didn't see the whole thing but I thought the official was totally out of line the way he grabbed Nick around the neck and pulled him out of there.

"There was a lot going on throughout the game on both sides of the ball after the play was over. Their offensive line was getting after Nick a bunch down the stretch. And that goes on in these types of games. I didn't see all of it but I saw the end of it. I thought it was totally unprofessional. I thought it was totally out of hand."

Aiello said director of officials Mike Pereira had no comment regarding McCarthy's remarks. The two might speak later this week.

Pereira critiques his officials in a show on the NFL Network in which he reviews various plays from games of the previous weekend. It's possible Pereira will address Quirk's actions and reveal whether any discipline was warranted.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I thought it was BS. I would be pissed off, too. Not sure if I would do much about it, but still, it was un-called for. I say at least a verbal warning should be issued to the guy, and possibly a small fine.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody mentions that the whole thing started because Barnett shoved the ballcarrier into the ground well after the play was over. He was frustrated because he played like crap and so did the entire team. He needs to learn his lesson and move on. I felt less bad about him missing the Pro Bowl after his poor performance on Sunday.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed Greg...i do think the official went too far when he took him down, but he was justified in at least taking some preventative action.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with filing a grievance and I do think it could affect officials decisions during games.
I don't know how officiating could get much worse than it has been over the last few years but it seems like if an officiating crew has an axe to grind they grind it.

DoddPower

Reaction score
heh, sitting in the airport to head to Green Bay, and while watching CNN I see the Packers on T.V., specifically, Barnett being choked by the ref. Upon seeing it again, he was a little out of line. I'm not saying he should do much about it, but still, I feel like the players should feel comfortable that they are not going to be choked while tensions are running high. I applaud McCarthy for standing up for his players.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a sissy. All bent out of shape because a geriatric easily took him down and embarrassed him on TV.
Hey Barnett, maybe stop trying to start fights after the whistle blows and this kind of thing wont happen.

DoddPower

Reaction score
What a sissy. All bent out of shape because a geriatric easily took him down and embarrassed him on TV.
Hey Barnett, maybe stop trying to start fights after the whistle blows and this kind of thing wont happen.

Of course a Bears fan would say this. You would feel the same way if it was your precious over rated Urlacher or however you spell his over rated name.

You guys have fun watching the packers this post season eating wings and preparing for next season.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are other things that the ref could have done besides choking someone, like I am used to seeing in a game, like pulling the two guys apart. They should take appropriate measures not go to the extremes. I am to glad that MM stands up for his players. And by no means is Barnett a Sissy, IMO he probably thought he would get fined for an action like that, the official should be fined as well.

DoddPower

Reaction score
Yeah, anyone that calls Barnett a sissy obviously hasn't watched him play much and doesn't know what they are talking about. Why don't you ask Marc Bulger and the majority of the RB's we've played this season if he is a sissy.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, anyone that calls Barnett a sissy obviously hasn't watched him play much and doesn't know what they are talking about. Why don't you ask Marc Bulger and the majority of the RB's we've played this season if he is a sissy.

Nice post Dodd!!

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BearPerspective said:

Of course a Bears fan would say this. You would feel the same way if it was your precious over rated Urlacher or however you spell his over rated name.

You guys have fun watching the packers this post season eating wings and preparing for next season.

I like how you guys always call Urlacher overrated. Especially right after he takes one back 85 on ya to ice a game. It's great, really.

...anyway, Barnett was being a punk the whole second half...always starting shoving matches, etc. Even the announcers mentioned it. It's embarrassing, really. I guess Barnett thinks its cool to hit women at bars, but not to get pulled off a fight he started by a ref. Classless clown.

DoddPower

Reaction score
DoddPower said:
BearPerspective said:

I like how you guys always call Urlacher overrated. Especially right after he takes one back 85 on ya to ice a game. It's great, really.

...anyway, Barnett was being a punk the whole second half...always starting shoving matches, etc. Even the announcers mentioned it. It's embarrassing, really. I guess Barnett thinks its cool to hit women at bars, but not to get pulled off a fight he started by a ref. Classless clown.

That was a good interception that Urlacher had, even though it was thrown right at him pretty much. However, that one play by no means means he isn't over rated. What was his reason for the Bears terrible season? Oh yeah, his play along with his defensive teammates was just not good enough. Get used to it.

I'm not sure if you played football or not, but any passionate player of the game will aggressively react when their team is not playing well, especially when the other team is hassling you for being down. You can blame it all on Barnett all you want, but he wasn't alone. Your offensive line had been taking shots at him all game. No one is saying players should get pulled off of a "fight," but they do have a right not to be choked and taken to the ground. If it would have happened to Urlacher, I would have laughed, but I would have agreed that it was out of line and hope corrective actions were taken. But I give you a pass I suppose . . . you're a Bears fan. What can I expect?

Once again, have fun watching the Packers in the post season. I'm sure Orton will take you far!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI, Urlacher has had a back injury and probably wont heal from it. I imagine he is in his last year or two in the league, but whatever, he'll be a first ballot HOF'er regardless of how "overrated" you guys think he is. He has still played well this year at times, leads the team in tackles, INTs, and has 4 or 5 sacks.

...not a good year for Da Bears, but we'll be back. "Get used to it"

If we can sweep you guys, there will be no SB for GB. Good luck in the playoffs though.

DoddPower

Reaction score
FYI, Urlacher has had a back injury and probably wont heal from it. I imagine he is in his last year or two in the league, but whatever, he'll be a first ballot HOF'er regardless of how "overrated" you guys think he is. He has still played well this year at times, leads the team in tackles, INTs, and has 4 or 5 sacks.

...not a good year for Da Bears, but we'll be back. "Get used to it"

If we can sweep you guys, there will be no SB for GB. Good luck in the playoffs though.

I'll be one of the first to say that it will be a bit of a stretch for us to make it to the Super Bowl. We have a few fatal flaws that need to be fixed. However, if a few things go our way and we play decent, we could easily beat any team, except for maybe New England. I'd say for the youngest team in the NFL having a possibility to beat anyone in the NFC and most in the AFC is pretty good. Our franchise is built to be good for a long while, so we don't have to put all our hope in just one season like the Bears did last year. It's going to take the Bears at least a couple more years to be any kind of contender.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I disagree with that assessment of the Bears for a couple reasons. Our downfall this season hasnt been solely a result of becoming old, our defense has lost alot of starters and of course, that's the heart of the team. Mike Brown, Dvoracek...T. Harris and Urlacher playing injured Vasher missed the whole year and Tillman played hurt, Briggs missed time....the list goes on.
...Really our defense is still relatively young and very talented.
Our O line needs a revamp and say what you want about our RBs and QBs, they are good enough with a good line. Id say this year was more of an anomoly than last year was.

Anyway, the pack has a good chance to win a playoff game, but Dallas wont be beat...especially at home. Which sucks, because the only team I root against more than GB is Dallas. Haha.
As I've posted before, you guys just dont have the horses on "D" to match up against TO, Whitten, etc. But sure, a couple good bounces and who knows, right?

DoddPower

Reaction score
As far as playing with injuries go, every team in the NFL is playing with injuries. Al Harris and Charles Woodson have been playing with them along with several other Packers that have been playing with significant injuries for most the season. It's part of it and really can't be used as an excuse. We could hang with Dallas play for play and something as simple as one interception could decide who wins the next game between us. We have a better chance of beating Dallas then the Bears have of beating the Packers, and look what happened there. The outcome will largely be decided by gameplanning.

As far as the bears go, you guys need a franchise running back, wide receivers, a little O-Line help, and most importantly, a QUARTERBACK (and apparently a replacement for the talented Urlacher, according to you). Even if you're defense was still full strength and playing at the same level it was last year, it still wouldn't be enough to go all the way. No matter how good a defense of special teams are, it comes down to scoring points. Teams like the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, and even the Packers WILL score enough points 9 times out of 10 to beat any team, and it's up to the offense to match that, something the Bears aren't capable of doing right now on a consistent basis. Just take the Browns for example. Their defense is pretty terrible, but they still have only lost, what, five games in the AFC? Why? Because they can score points.

I'm not trying to rub anything in at all. I'm just saying, as of right now, the Packers are younger and more talented as a whole then the Bears. Like I said, a couple more good offseasons and you guys should be contenders again. Hopefully the Pack will have a couple more good offseason's and continue on their path to be a contender for a long stretch.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher is over rated and always has been. He's a good linebacker, but that's all he is. He doesn't even begin to compare with the great linebackers in NFL history. He's good, not great. Injuries do happen to every team. By the 16th game of the season every player is banged up in some way. The great one's seem to play through it and continue to play great. Green Bay has a few significant injuries that have slowed players. We've lost some defensive linemen and that loss has made our defense a little less potent.

As for Dallas winning at home? Don't bet on it. The Packers played themselves out of that first game. If they come in and play like they can, they're good enough to beat Dallas at home. Here is the big key, Dallas knows it. I feel bad for you Bears fans however, what will you be doing when the playoffs begin? You went to the Superbowl last year didn't you? From Superbowl to chumps in one year. What progress.

As for Sunday's game, McCarthy said it, "I didn't have my team ready to play." He's right he didn't. But this guy is a smart and wise young man and he won't make that mistake twice. He's coached two bad games this year, one in Chicago on Sunday and the Dallas game. Simply put, he got away from what makes this team work. He knows it, it won't happen again this year.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh.
You guys are pretty average and have gotten quite a few lucky wins, whereas we've had a few unlucky losses. I dont think the disparity is great at all, especially considering we whupped you twice. No doubt at QB and WR there is more talent at GB, but you cannot depend in wiley old Favruh to continue to carry the team.
Anyway, we dominated Dallas for a half with our D, but some late turnovers and injuries blew it open, as so often happens. Is that an "excuse" sure, but it is my team after all. I know "every" team has injuries, but ours this year are certainly beyond the realm of ordinary. You guys are lucky you were in the game w/ Dallas at all. T.O. made Harris look like a joke and Whitten had his way with Bigby. Dont forget they got Tank now, and his has a history of making Favruh miserable.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher is over rated and always has been. He's a good linebacker, but that's all he is. He doesn't even begin to compare with the great linebackers in NFL history. He's good, not great. Injuries do happen to every team.
Favre is "good" but not "great" IMO too. Too many TD passes bouncing off defenders first to take him seriously. :roll:

Latest posts