Barnett deserves props not shots for Sunday’s performance

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett deserves props not shots for Sunday’s performance
September 14, 2007
Written by Bruce Smith - PackerChatters Staff

There have been times when an argument could be made that Barnett making 14 tackles in a game was diminished by how many of them were made down the field – this however was NOWHERE near the case last Sunday in the Packers victory against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Nick flew all over the field and seemed to be in the right place at the right time all game long. Remember Philly had the #2 offense in the NFC last season and are widely seen as having the best offensive line in the NFC as well as playmakers in Westbrook and McNabb as favorites to win the NFC east this season. While that may still be the case, Nick Barnett and his hungry defensive warriors decided the path to such a title would not start in their house at Lambeau field.

Make no mistake about it; Nick Barnett is the leader of the Packers young and aggressive defense. And as the defensive leader he was making the correct calls and lining his boys up in the right spot all day long. His leadership kept his teammates focused and the result was impressive any way you cut it in this defensive gem of a victory.

Nick was plugging the middle, running sideline to sideline, and making impact hits and plays all over the field including the backfield all game long.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Further, Nick was superb in coverage – taking Westbrook out of the game as a pass threat and by his leaping interception of a ball intended for Mr. Westbrook. He timed his leap perfectly and showed better hands then many of the Packers WR showed on this Sunday. Even in the lone TD Philadelphia scored, Nick had blanket coverage and forced McNabb to make a perfect throw and the receiver to make a great catch.

One of his biggest plays Barnett made seems to have gone unnoticed in the game reviews and comments I’ve read, despite it happening at a critical time on third and goal with Philly threatening to take the lead. McNabb and Reid got the match-up they wanted when they threw to Westbrook in the flat, and they certainly expected him to turn the corner and score like easily as he has so often in the past.

However, Nick Barnett had a different idea on this play. Nick beat Brian to the edge and tackled him out of bounds for no gain. This big play held the Eagles to a FG at a critical time that proved to be huge in the final outcome of this hard fought tilt..

However, Nick’s unbelievable play at crunch time late in the 4th quarter only went unnoticed if you were drunk, taking a bathroom break, or had your eyes closed (not being able to watch) at the most crucial juncture of the game.

After the Eagles stripped the ball from Brett Favre and took control near game winning field goal range at the 38 with the score notched at 13 to 13 Nick Barnett took over the game.

On first down Barnett sliced into the backfield and stuffed RB Buckhalter for a 4-yard loss. On second down, Nick teamed with Pickett to stop RB Westbrook for a 2-yard gain, bringing up 3rd and 12. A holding penalty on Philly may have put the final nail in the coffin, but Barnett and the defense had already made their statement stand with the game on the line. Something GB fans had longed for far too long against Philadelphia during their torturous losing streak to the Eagles.

Perhaps the most exciting thing about this outstanding performance is that Barnett was not satisfied. As leader of the defense he praised his teammates, but told them he expected more of himself and them in the weeks to come.

"If we clean a couple of mental mistakes up, I don't think they get more than 200 yards," Barnett said. "But that comes with the first game, growing pains."

So I hope you will join me in giving props to Nick Barnett for a great game, and even bigger Kudos for his inspired leadership. At only 26 years old there is good reason to believe that the best is yet to come for the Packers young MLB and even younger inspired defensive unit that promises to make some noise this season in the NFL.

Reaction score
Re: Barnett deserves props not shots for Sunday’s performanc

"If we clean a couple of mental mistakes up, I don't think they get more than 200 yards," Barnett said. "But that comes with the first game, growing pains."

The scary thing about that quote is that Barnett raises a fair point.

C-Wood and Hawk had sub-par games, and there were a few occasions that McNabb escaped a sack and ended up with a gain (not a huge gain though).

It's mind boggling to think how out-of-this-world our D can be in time when C-Wood and Hawk also start contributing, and when we face QBs not as mobile as McNabb.

Props to Barnett for one heck of a performance, keeping a playmaker like BW in check is no easy task.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word. I've personally always felt that NB just wasn't playing to his true potenential yet. Feels like this year is different, though.
For that you gotta give props to Winston Moss and the rest of the coaching staff.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Nick was all over the place. and the comment about if they cleaned a few things up they could've held the Eagles under 200 yards is true. What is also true is that early on in the season, defenses usually outperform offenses, so hopefully our defense can keep improving and stay ahead of the curve. But, the Eagles are no slouch on offense. I mean, it's not like we're bragging about beating the Falcons last week!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to diminish anything Nick has done because he was great on Sunday but when the guys up front do their jobs correctly that's when you see the LB's getting there at or behind the line of scrimmage.

Our defense is special because we can get pressure with or without blitz packages. That is what seperates GREAT defenses from good defenses.

When the "0" line has it's hands full with the straight front it makes the blitz packages way more effective and allows our pass defense to get more guys in coverage. That is one reason you saw NB get that pick.

We got the pressure and he was in coverage instead of being added to the pressure.

I think we will see a lot of picks this year. I really don't care if Manning plays Sunday or not. He was great last week because Dallas didn't get to him nearly enough.

I highly doubt that will be the case this week.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw him on NFLTA and he was saying the pick was pretty much a lucky accident - he was covering Westbrook and looked back at McNab and there was the ball. Pretty quick hands..

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow Barnett's performance got a bit overlooked in the post-game commentary. Thanks for another good article, Bruce, although I don't understand the title, because nobody was taking shots at Barnett. Everybody could see how well he played. There were just so many things to talk about after the game that we never got around to singing Barnett's praises.

Nick's comment, relayed by PackinSteel in the previous post, is interesting because game analyst Moose Johnston thought that Barnett actually baited McNabb into making that throw. I believed him, because that's kind of what it looked like.

Reaction score
I think the title refers to past problems with Barnett, where us fans have had problems with his style of play (namely over pursuing).

I think Bruce is just saying 'there was nothing worth taking issue with in this performance', hence the title. :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow that interview was good. This defense is gonna be siiiiiiiiick.

I like Barnett.

thanks packinsteel.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Bruce. Barnett was all over the place. This GB defense is one that will not let you beat them to the edge. If you want to run, you have to try it up the gut; where our massive DTs will eat you up.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Barnett deserves props not shots for Sunday’s performa

Barnett, Hawk and are entire defense are going to be a force for years! We are young besides our CB's but I imagine we will be drafting 1 in the early rounds next year so they can start growing, or maybe Jarret Bush is the next big CB either way im happy and excited about our D for a long time, it used to always be the offense in Green Bay now its the Defense.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce - That was wonderful. I love your writing.
Nick Barnett has been one of mine and my wife's favorite players to watch since '03, and yes, I think the best is yet to come.

Members online

Latest posts