Barbre's battles upcoming.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers offensive line, and in particular new starting RT Allen Barbre, emerged from Sunda night's game as the most criticized and worrisome part of the Packers' team. Barbre (6-4,305) got handled by Chicago's LDE Adawale Ogunleye, as every one saw. Oguleye (6-4,260) is a solid, 9 yr. pro veteran but not Julius Peppers or Jason Taylor. In fact it was thought he didn't have a speed rush in him anymore. Ogunleye is, though, the type of de Barbre will be facing again and again in coming weeks. This week he draws Robert Geathers (6-3,272), a 6 yr. vet who like Ogunleye hasn't shown much of a once promising career as a rush end lately. The Bengals may decide to give the Packers' new starter an additional dose of speed rush with rookie Michael Johnson (6-7,266); who was seriously mentioned as a possible first round pick by the Packers last spring on several reputable draft boards. At St.Louis Barbre's match will be Victor Adeyanju (6-4,280, 4th yr.) with 11 yr. vet Leonard Little (6-3,263)also coming in on some downs. After that at Minnesota it will be Ray Edwards (6-5,268), the 3rd yr. pro. If Barbre struggles against these guys as he did with Ogunleye def. coordinators might also decide to roll over their stronger RDE's to his side to create some mismatches on some passing downs. That could mean Cincinnati could shift Antwan Odom (6-5,260, 6 yrs.),St.Louis could bring Chris Long (6-3,263, 2nd yr.) and Minnesota could roll Jared Allen (6-6,270,6th yr.) to Barbre's side to charge Aaron Rodgers, rather than trying to fight through LT Chad Clifton. Allen Barbre had better get better and good real fast.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they'll roll Allen over. It's more likely the place Kevin Williams between Sitton and Barbre, and open up Edwards. The rest I agree with you. Barbre appeared competent in preseason, and had the worst performance by a RT that I can remember last game. One more QUARTER like that and he needs to go, but I doubt he'll do it again. Of course, just improving isn't enough. If he continues to be a liability, and if we continue to have to adapt our offensive scheme just to protect his lack of competence, he cannot continue on the team.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think the Vikes would be stupid not to try rolling Allen over for a few plays here and there during the game. We saw the Raiders have success doing that with Richard Seymour, I don't see why the Vikings wouldn't try the same thing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, Seymour didn't change sides. He played on the inside. Very different players. Seymour is more like Cullen Jenkins, Allen plays more like Kampman. Both Seymour and Jenkins were former DTs, that play inside on passing downs and outside on base set. Kampman and Allen never play inside, they allways rush from the edge. Moreso, Allen has played on the right side his whole life. It's just a matter of custom.

GreenBayCracker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is getting dominated like by Geathers like Ogunleye did to him after the first half, he will be getting a promotion to bench warming duties.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts