Banks' Mock Draft

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this mock draft by Don Banks of Sports Illustrated was interesting. It's way early of course, but Banks is a solid writer, and I take him seriously. I was surprised that he has A.J. Hawk as the second linebacker picked. Has anyone here seen this other LB, DeMeco Ryans, play?

Here are Banks' top ten picks:

1 RB Reggie Bush USC Jr. 6-0 200
We've got weeks and weeks to let all the Bush versus Vince Young speculation swirl, but it still seems sensible for the Texans to stick with David Carr at quarterback and add the huge, play-making upgrade at running back.

2 QB Matt Leinart USC Sr. 6-5 225
He may not be the next Carson Palmer, but the USC quarterback would allow the Saints to end the Aaron Brooks era and give new head coach Sean Payton a chance to start his program with a guy well-steeped in a pro-style passing game.

3 QB Vince Young Texas Jr. 6-5 235
Don't just assume that the Titans will nab Young because he and Steve McNair are old friends from Houston. Young would be a logical heir apparent in Tennessee, but I could see the Titans trying desperately to trade down for a package of picks to address more than one need.

4 OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia Sr. 6-5 295
If somehow either Leinart or Young linger, the Jets couldn't pass on a passer given Chad Pennington's shaky health status. But otherwise, Ferguson is the chalk pick for a need that emerged last year after the defection of Kareem McKenzie in free agency.

5 DE Mario Williams N.C. State Jr. 6-7 285
The Packers need to generate more pass rush, and this kid has the whole package that you look for in a difference-making defensive end.

6 LB DeMeco Ryans Alabama Sr. 6-5 230
With Oakland currently head coach-less, all we really know about its draft intention is that the crying need is on defense. Ryans or Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk are the names to know, but the Raiders would do handstands if Mario Williams slipped past No. 5 Green Bay.

7 LB A.J. Hawk Ohio State Sr. 6-1 240
With all their needs and another high first-round pick, the 49ers could aggressively attempt to trade down to plug as many holes as possible. If they don't, defense should get their attention. Hawk is a ball-hawk and looks ready to step into almost anyone's lineup.

8 DT Haloti Ngata Oregon Jr. 6-5 345
Buffalo struggled stopping the run after the loss of veteran defensive tackle Pat Williams in free agency. The 6-foot-5, 335-pound Ngata could fill that critical void for **** Jauron's nowhere-to-go-but-up Bills.

9 QB Jay Cutler Vanderbilt Sr. 6-4 228
New Lions head coach Rod Marinelli hasn't indicated yet if he believes Joey Harrington is salvageable. If not, the Lions can hope that taking the third-highest rated passer works out as well for them as it did in 2004 for Pittsburgh, which landed some guy named Ben Roethlisberger. Southern Cal OT Winston Justice is another possibility.

10 RB DeAngelo Williams Memphis Sr. 5-10 217
With Cardinals head coach Dennis Green needing to win in 2006 to protect his job, taking a young QB makes no sense. The Cardinals were last in the NFL in rushing, so it'll come down to a choice between Williams and USC's LenDale White. Williams is more elusive and fits Green's backfield preferences.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen several mock drafts and not one of them had Hawk behind any other LB being selected in the first round. Anyway, the mock draft you listed was interesting the say the least. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if GB picked Mario Williams as the mock draft states.

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course any mock is subject to ideas of the mocker. What I find find more informing is looking at several mocks to see the tendancies. Also to read what is written about each player or team as to why the selection is made.

In that light here are a couple of recently updated mocks with reasons for the pick.

PICK#: 1 Houston
REGGIE BUSH (HB) - USC
The Texans narrowly escaped a Week 17 win against the 49ers thanks to another timely miss by kicker Kris Brown. It is already being reported that the Texans will take Reggie Bush, and there is no reason to think otherwise. While the value of this top pick may be as high as it’s ever been, and while they still need a left tackle, the Texans will probably not shop it around. The rule here is that you simply cannot pass on a prospect like Bush. The talks of taking the hometown kid Vince Young make for a good storyline, but despite the Rose Bowl, Bush is still the better prospect. When talking about Reggie Bush, there is not much negative that can be said. His highlight reel runs and big-play abilities are special. The 2005 Heisman Trophy Winner has shown unbelievable open-field running skills and WR-like hands. Some question his size and durability because USC has featured another first-rounder, LenDale White in the “carry-the-loadâ€

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff, ravage! That DT from Oregon, Ngata, is a surprise at #4 in that one mock draft. If the Jets might be interested in him, the Packers could be too--especially if Grady Jackson leaves. But Hawk is still the most exciting prospect, I think.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've been paying attention to senior bowl practice all week, demeco ryans' stock is rising...i dont know about ahead of aj hawk, but possibly ahead of chad greenway as the #2 LB

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing is sure at the Draft, but I will pick AJ Hawk, seems to me that he will be the best available player if you count risk and what you can expect from this player, a better bet than Williams who might have a motivation :twisted: problem

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On one side of the coin you get AJ Hawk - possibly having a Brian Urlacher-type influence on a surprisingly improved defensive unit.

On the other side you have Mario Williams - possibly being the next Julius Peppers.

Either way, I say the Packers win with their #5 pick if they choose to go in either direction.

Weissman1989

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
On one side of the coin you get AJ Hawk - possibly having a Brian Urlacher-type influence on a surprisingly improved defensive unit.

On the other side you have Mario Williams - possibly being the next Julius Peppers.

Either way, I say the Packers win with their #5 pick if they choose to go in either direction.

Yea and the browns won with Courtney Brown... A "can't miss" prospect... Im more worried about someone with a lack of motivation

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weissman1989 said:
NDPackerFan said:

Yea and the browns won with Courtney Brown... A "can't miss" prospect... Im more worried about someone with a lack of motivation

Easy to do Weissman1989...why don't you go ahead and list all top 5 prospects that turned out as well? :roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
damn good info, ravage.

thats a good point, about DEs being bigger impacts and harder finds than a stud LB. I actually liked our LBs (barnett,paris,rob thomas). they werent great, rob thomas was the worst of the three, but wasnt horrible or anything, just wasnt real good. But we have DEs. WHo is gonna bench the record setting DE>? who is gonna bench KGBillionare? If there were 3 end positions(im blowing your mind arent I) then id say get mario...but...we're good and\or obligated at those positions now.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, trom...I'd have to say that GB could cut their losses now with KGB. He was way overpaid and continues to get lost during games. He doesn't exactly play stellar run defense and gets to the passer only on occasion. I don't see why he needs to be a fixture of this defense if there's something way better out there.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if we can get rid of him, sure. but who can we trade him to thats dumb enough? what team is sherman on...give him back to sherm head.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
if we can get rid of him, sure. but who can we trade him to thats dumb enough? what team is sherman on...give him back to sherm head.

I'm not talking trade...I'm talking pink slip. Hey, we decided 'enough was enough' with Cletidus Hunt...if KGB can't make plays under his huge salary, dump him...no one is trading for this guy, that's fer sure.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the money situation is a bit more severe with KGb than it was with hunt, and at least KGB produces somewhat. he had a career high in tackles this year. sure, when they run to his side, i change the channel...but...man...i wish he was gone too, brother.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk has a great and hungry attitude. Williams' attitude is questionable when people say he takes a play off here and there.

Our defense needs an aggressive attitude, that's part of the reason we should go with Hawk.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In this era of free agency one should look at higher priced positions.

The High priced guys are QB, OT, and D-line.

Who are low priced? Safeties, LB's, RB's, Centers.

When drafting you want high quality at the high priced positions because they are the best value. Ted Thompson wants the best value on the board regardless of position. The draft is not about filling immediate needs.

Which of these adds the most value to the Packers? Long term?

1) Ferguson the OT somehow is on the board he is the safest pick for the Packers and is with them for a decade. He begins by bumping Barry(if re-signed) off the depth chart. Klemm is in last year of contract. In a year or 2 Clifton is tradable. Possible OG for a year or 2.

2) Williams the DE is good value in this draft. He bumps Washington off the depth chart and takes reps away from Peterson(last year of contract), KGB, or may replace Kampmann if not signed.

3) Hawk LB starts in place of Diggs who is cut with his over 3 million salary. KGB is better with Hawk behind him.

They are all good news but one must consider what the Packers will look like in 2 years. Will KGB or Clifton still be around?

Best on the board is best for the Packers. If Vince Young drops in the draft as I anticipate, 2 of the 3 above will be gone and the Packers have only one left making the choice relatively easy.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be majorly bummed if the Packers took Ferguson. And if Favre comes back, can you imagine what he would think if for the second year in a row Thompson's first round pick would be practically guaranteed to contribute nothing to the team as a rookie? Even if Favre does not come back, that looks like a poor pick, because Clifton has a long-term contract.

If Williams and Hawk are both gone before the Packers pick, I think Thompson should and would go with a player who could actually contribute right away, like Ngata or whatever his name is--the big DT from Oregon. Or maybe Thompson could just trade down for a team that was hot to grab Ferguson.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts